Bus driver Sean Carroll enjoys a hug from his grandson Aidan. Carroll, of Melbourne, Australia, was awarded $52,000 Thursday in a lawsuit against the Melbourne Transit Authority claiming that passive smoking caused his lung cancer. Australian employers said Friday they could be forced to stop hiring smokers because of the risk of paying compensation following the landmark award. The 59-year-old Carroll, a non-smoker, said he had been exposed to smoke from passengers' cigarettes for 20 years. He is the first in Australia to win damages for such exposure. His doctors have predicted he has three to five years to live.