A short on an electrical cable sparked a house fire Sunday afternoon that caused an estimated $50,000 in damage to an Avenues home.

Two trucks and 50 firefighters arrived at the home, 673 11th Ave., shortly before 2 p.m. The blaze, which began on the house's back porch, also threatened an adjacent house, said Salt Lake Fire Battalion Chief Jerry Duke."There was a forest and a stack of wood between the two," Duke said, adding the heavy manpower "was more a precautionary measure than anything."

Three children were home at the time the blaze broke out, he said.

"We had an electrical service short-out" on a cable that brought power to the house from a pole, said Duke. A five-gallon can of gasoline on the back porch fueled the fire in the older, three-story home.

One firefighter was treated and released at Holy Cross Hospital for first-degree burns to his ears.