While many workers look forward to getting away during the summer months, that's just the time of year that car thieves get excited about going to work.
July and August are the peak months for car theft, and according to David Doepner of the Crime Analysis Unit of the Salt Lake Police Department, the highest percentage of thefts takes place in high-risk areas such as downtown lots.During 1987, 923 cars were stolen in Salt Lake City, roughly the same number of thefts that occur in Detroit each month.
By comparison, about 80 thefts per month occur in Salt Lake City, but that average goes up during July and August because vehicles become more easily accessible when the temperature rises. Car thieves take advantage of motorists who dash into convenience stores for a cool drink, leaving the engine running.
Downtown shoppers often leave their car windows rolled down to escape the heat. Also, many vehicle owners park their cars on the street.
Hottest cars - for thieves
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the following models are stolen most often:
1. Pontiac Firebird 14. Pontiac Fiero
2. Chevrolet Camaro 15. Mitsubishi Satrion
3. Mazda RX-7 16. Olds Toronado
4. Chevrolet Corvette 17. Lincoln Town Car
5. Buick Riviera 18. Cadillac Seville
6. Chevrolet Monte Carlo 19. Plymouth Conquest
7. Buick Regal 20. Toyota MR2
8. Pontiac Grand Prix 21. Volkswagen Quantum
9. Cadillac Eldorado 22. Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
10. Toyota Supra 24. Nissan 300ZX
11. Olds Cutlass Supreme 25. Ford Mustang
12. Dodge Conquest 26. Toyota Camry
13. Toyota Celica