A California man was killed and his wife remained hospitalized after the two apparently were overcome by propane gas fumes in a cabin near this southern Utah ski community, authorities said.

Raymond Green, 63, of Santa Ana, Calif., was found dead by Brian Head police on the floor of the cabin's bedroom about 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, according to a report filed by Iron County Sheriff's Sgt. Richard Payton.Green's wife, Regina, 63, was lying unconscious on the bed and was flown by helicopter to LDS Hospital in Salt Lake City.

Hospital spokesman Tim Madden said Mrs. Green was in serious but stable condition Tuesday night in the hospital's intensive care unit, where she was to undergo oxygen treatments for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Authorities have not determined an official cause of death, but Payton's report said asphyxiation is suspected because of the presence of propane throughout the cabin.

The couple was last seen Friday night by friends, who became concerned about their three-day absence and notified authorities.