There will be 11 Utah companies trying to convince venture capitalists to part with some of their money Aug. 5 in Park City during the Utah Innovation Foundation "Start-Up Dollars for Start-Up Companies" conference.
Brad Bertoch, foundation executive director, said the companies represent products ranging from computer software and hardware, medical devices to soft sculptured dolls, pure drinking water and premium wine.The companies and their product or services are:
- Applied Water Engineering, Salt Lake City, reverse osmosis water purification equipment for retail and commercial uses.
- Arches Winery, Moab, development and marketing of a variety of premium quality wines.
- Biotronic Energy Engineering, Clearfield, development and manufacture of enhancements to electrical storage devices.
- Enduratek, Salt Lake City, manufacturer of data communication systems for mobile two-way radios.
- New Concepts (Genuflex), Orem, manufacturer and marketer of a therapeutic device for the knee.
- Harding & Harris, Orem, provider of technology solutions for the rehabilitation and education of the physically, mentally and emotionally disabled.
-Parvus Corp., Salt Lake City, developer and producer of sophisticated microprocessor-based systems and components for motion and process control applications.
- Pratt Business Instruments, Salt Lake City, specialist in business instrumentation software.
- Ram International, Salt Lake City, a consumer products company that develops and manufactures various products such as "Sports Buddies," a soft sculptured doll line.
- Sytar Systems, Provo, information management systems for the dental industry.
- Techweld, Salt Lake City, provider of robotic field pipe welding for the nuclear and fossilpower generation, petroleum and petrochemical industries.
- Vaporfab, Salt Lake City, developer of thin metal coatings for advanced materials.
"If they are all good enough and lucky enough to get funded, some $2.6 million would be invested," Ber-toch said.
In July, sponsor teams will assist the companies in completing their presentations and business plans. The sponsor teams consist of accountants and lawyers, sponsors of the conference.
The sponsors are Rogers, Anderson and Poelman; Jones, Waldo, Hol-brook and McDonough; Small Business Administration; Deloitte Haskins & Sells; Penna, Powers, Cutting and Haynes; Commission of Economic Development in Orem; Peat Marwick & Main; Utah Ventures; Mountain Bell; Lone Peak Productions; and the Park City Chamber of Commerce.