Dick Harmon: What we learned from the Cougars' second scrimmage

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Aug. 12, 2017 8:22 p.m.

It's hard to argue that the Utes should be considered the better team the last 6 years but winning a particular game doesn't always make the team that won the better team. That game they did enough to win but sometimes the better team loses. Many of the games BYU has lost to Utah during this losing streak have been close and could have easily gone to the Y if a few things had been different. Last year a stupid 2 point try when we had momentum, the year before you couldn't script a more ridiculous error filled first quarter that gave the Utes all their points and we dominated the last 3 quarters and nearly made it all the way back. Point is winning or losing a particular game doesn't always determine which team is the best. Last year the Y lost 4 games by a total of 8 points and all were close . A few things go the Y's way and they would have been highly ranked. I think they were better actually than their record. The offense was the weak link last year and it's the offense that needs to prove they are good, the defense! I think will be better than last year and that was pretty good. In reality the Utes and BYU have been pretty close when considering how good each team is.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 12, 2017 3:14 p.m.

"Azute never gets tired of this rediculous talk."

josh-er:

It's not just AZUte. Most Ute fans never get tired of coog fans ridiculous talk that optomistically--and inaccurately--predicted victory every year for the past 6+ years. Even 2014, when you all said Utah was chicken. That was just as ridiculous.

• rtimesr2 ALTADENA, CA
    Aug. 12, 2017 9:49 a.m.

I remember when Miami, Texas, MSU, etc were unstoppable. Trends end sooner or later. I can't imagine all the chest thumper believe that BYU will never win again vs. Utah. Every Cougar has it's day.

• John Brown 1000 Laketown, UT
    Aug. 12, 2017 9:28 a.m.

I'm with burningblue. I'll wait for games two and three to start being optimistic.

In the meantime, I wish the U and USU all the success in the world with all their games except one.

• Procoug Layton, UT
    Aug. 12, 2017 7:32 a.m.

BYU only needs to be 2 points better than Utah.
    With the Uoopla over star ratings etc, BYU is doing really well.

• Procoug Layton, UT
    Aug. 12, 2017 6:52 a.m.

AZUTE said
    “Fyi--We're 6-3 @ les over the last 2 decades, soon to be 7-3.

We're superior in depth/talent/coaching, period.”

.... don’t forget superior in following and commenting on a team you supposedly don’t care about either.

Cougs by 21

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    Aug. 12, 2017 2:28 a.m.

Azute never gets tired of this rediculous talk.

It's been a long time since any BYU and Utah game had certainty, last year a single point was the nail-biting difference.

So should BYU fans assume that all games will have true same outcome? Trends in sports are rare and often broken, besides, BYU is improving as a team.

This will be the first real game for Troy Taylor running a Ute offense with an unknown qb and a new line at BYU - I like our odds!

How long will I be a fan of BYU? Been a fan my whole life, and when I read comments like yours it doesn't exactly sway me your way, nobody reads your drivel and thinks "that's what I want to be".

BTW - I'm also a Utah fan, so I hope Utah has a great season, there are far more wildcards at Utah than BYU this year. Good luck with that!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 11, 2017 8:09 p.m.

"I guess it is best to prepare the fans early and set the tone so the disappointment is not too overwhelming when U come to Provo."

It's Groundhog Day every year w/you people.

How many times in a row must we beat byu before you people cease w/this annual talk about what a certainty it is we'll lose?

Fyi--We're 6-3 @ les over the last 2 decades, soon to be 7-3.

We're superior in depth/talent/coaching, period.

Go Utes!

p.s. The "Kalani effect" has resulted in a drop in avg star rating in recruiting per Scout, from 2.71 to 2.55.

• BlueCoug Provo, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 5:06 p.m.

mightymite

"Not to [sic] encouraging any way you look at it."

From a BYU hater's perspective, I can understand your angst.

• mightymite , 00
    Aug. 11, 2017 4:55 p.m.

Not to encouraging any way you look at it. I guess it is best to prepare the fans early and set the tone so the disappointment is not to overwhelming when it hits Provo.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 11, 2017 3:11 p.m.

burningblue

Might as well say I'm waiting till February to declare myself. If we're prognosticating, we don't have the luxury of experience.

So feet off the breaks, drink the kool-aid and ring the bells. Time enough for reality if and when it gets force fed to the boys in blue.

In the mean time, here's to a defense that should be better than last years, and an offense that can't help but be better.

• burningblue Provo, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 2:46 p.m.

There's plenty to be optimistic about, but I'm pumping the breaks here. I can't remember an offseason when Y fans didn't have a reason to be optimistic. I'm waiting until I see them play a real team (Not Portland State) before I decide if this team is going to have a good year.