Utah's Wishnowsky, Logan High's Falk named to Walter Camp Player of the Year watch list

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 22, 2017 11:23 a.m.

SportsFan - Provo, UT
    July 20, 2017 6:34 a.m.
    Uteology

Red feather is absolutely right.

Having multiple players on a particular watch list doesn't increase the number of watch lists.

Only one of the multiple players has a chance of winning the award, so the number of possible awards is the same as with only one player on the list.

Math 101

------

I rather have 9 players on 6 watch lists than 8 players on 8 watch lists.

Simiple math, 9 potential stars is greater than 8.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    July 21, 2017 3:01 p.m.

I'm a huge fan of Luke Faulk. It's only offers were from Idaho and Wyoming. He walked on at WSU that was fifth String when he got there. He didn't even have a scholarship. It would've been drafted fairly high this year but chose to come back for his senior season. What a class act.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    July 21, 2017 11:46 a.m.

Way to go Mitch!

Go Utes!

• Jello is Good ,
    July 21, 2017 11:23 a.m.

@Naval Vet - Philadelphia, PA
    July 19, 2017 9:36 p.m.

"You are mistaken little bro! As of today, Utah has 9 players/teams representing our institution on those watch lists. Eight! Not six. How miserable for you.

Bednarik: K Fitts (DE), L Lotulelei (DT)
    Ray Guy: M Wishnowsky (P)
    Outland: L Lotulelei (DT)
    Bronco Nagurski: L Lotulelei (DT), C Hansen (S/LB)
    Jim Thorpe: C Hansen (S/LB)
    Wuerffel: C Hansen (S/LB)
    Johnny Unitas: T Williams (QB)

And of course, we also have Kyle Whittingham listed on the Dodd Trophy watchlist. So including Whittingham, that brings Utah to 10."

----------------

And don't forget you are always in the running for the most obsessed fan base so that's 11!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    July 20, 2017 4:42 p.m.

This is the year to Shyne!

Go Utes!

• SportsFan Provo, UT
    July 20, 2017 6:34 a.m.

Uteology

Red feather is absolutely right.

Math 101

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 19, 2017 9:36 p.m.

red feather:

Bednarik: K Fitts (DE), L Lotulelei (DT)
    Ray Guy: M Wishnowsky (P)
    Outland: L Lotulelei (DT)
    Bronco Nagurski: L Lotulelei (DT), C Hansen (S/LB)
    Jim Thorpe: C Hansen (S/LB)
    Wuerffel: C Hansen (S/LB)
    Johnny Unitas: T Williams (QB)

Edge: Utah.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    July 19, 2017 4:43 p.m.

Yawn. I only care enough about watch lists to post that I don't care about watch lists.

• Jackie Treehorn St George, UT
    July 19, 2017 10:52 a.m.

The watch list is always nice to make because it shows you did enough to be recognized the previous year. Realistically, the only ones of these with a legitimate chance to win are Wishnowsky (the obvious favorite), Hansen, and Falk; Warner may have an outside chance if he flashes often in the few higher profile games on the schedule.

• redfeather Palo Alto, CA
    July 19, 2017 8:42 a.m.

Congrats to all of the local players/teams representing.

Number of Watch Lists by School

BYU - 8
    Utah - 6
    USU - 2

Number of Previous Award Winners by School

BYU - 7
    Utah - 3 (all punters)
    USU - 1

• Musketman Stansbury Park, UT
    July 18, 2017 11:59 a.m.

Even as a huge Y fan. It is clear to see, that the flavor of the Month for all these Early Awards lists. Is Chase Hansen on the hill. Not that I disagree, he is Utah's version of Taysom Hill, when it comes to all around athleticism!

• SIMPLICITY Denver, CO
    July 16, 2017 12:50 p.m.

Another Ute recognized as a stud!! Continue your winning ways.

Six in a row and counting...

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    July 16, 2017 12:04 p.m.

@max, please lay off the first-strike banter. It lessens the BYU fan base.

Congrats to Hansen.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    July 14, 2017 9:41 p.m.

Any Utah fan who claims that "only" BYU fans exhibit poor behavior are in a place I'll kindly refer to as "la-la land".

Get my drift?

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    July 14, 2017 4:22 p.m.

All rivalry aside - best of luck to all players on the watch lists. Although I don't like the "other" team and a lot of it's fans, I have to respect (a vast majority of) their players. There are some great BYU players named as well as great Utah players. The season will decide if any of these great players/athletes/people will get hardware in the end. Between now and then, I am going to have fun watching it all play out.

Congratulations to Chase. Watching him play for the U has been a blast. I look forward to what he brings to the field this year.

Here's to wishing for good health to all the players!

Go Utes!

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    July 14, 2017 12:37 p.m.

Chase Hansen is an amazing safety, huge NFL potential in front of him. I thought it was a mistake when Whit put him on the D rather than as a QB, but it's no mistake at this point in time, the guy plays hard and well. Good job Chase!

• TouchdownUtes Salt Lake City, UT
    July 14, 2017 9:02 a.m.

I'm happy that Chase Hansen has done so well.....and his mindset is in the right place. Although initially a quarterback, in high school he was also an excellent defensive safety. He decided to focus on the position at Utah that would make their team better....and that is as a safety. I wish him well this season.....and proud that he's a UTE!

Some of the back and forth with the rivalry has become ridiculous.....with the majority of comments still trying to convince the other that their team is superior over the other. Fans for both teams are loyal.....I'll give you that. I wholeheartedly agree with Vegas Ute's reasoning for Utah fans to claim domination over BYU. The facts do not lie. BYU's football legacy and accomplishments are noteworthy....I'm the first to admit that. But that was then and this is now. Utah has dominated BYU for well over 15 years now. BYU might squeak out a victory on occasion, but Utah consistently has won.....6 in a row, 11 of 14 or 78% of the time.....And winning a Heisman and NC 30 years ago can't change that.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 13, 2017 3:54 p.m.

Riverton Cougar

"I'd think you'd want to prove Max Hall wrong, not right."
    -----------
    "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."- The wise words of Benjamin Franklin.

• Adinfinitum Orem, UT
    July 13, 2017 1:44 p.m.

Congrats to all the local talent on these lists. It's great for the state of Utah to get recognized and continue to build a brand of exceptional football players being developed at our high schools. The life lessons of hard work, persistence, team work, sportsmanship, and service, to name a few are what we need for our youth.

I hope they don't read some of these posts, showcasing grown men engaging in elementary school expectorating of "my dad's better than your dad!"

Let's grow up and move on!

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    July 13, 2017 12:13 p.m.

Uteology - Wishnowski certainly is the more awarded punter - my comment made a nod to the fact that Utah has had an excellent string of punters and mentioned that it might be nice to discuss football topics rather than be stuck on a rivalry where we forget the background topic of football - to which you omitted part of my comment and made it about the rivalry. To each his own, but that's sort of lame.

2BCSwin - it's true, our September = your November, reality hits us all, just different months, right?

Utah was indeed a single point winner against a brand new staff on their own turn - yes I do think I sum up the BYU fan base, we're optimistic about this year.

Do you really find that odd? Should fans of a team think that we'll always lose what's historically been a very close game each year?

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    July 13, 2017 7:19 a.m.

@Londonjosh..........."As for which team is better, last year it was Utah at home by a point against a team coaches by 1st year coaches. I don't think ute fans can argue that BYU fans have some expectations coming into this game, at home, with some advantages"

The definition of cougie fan wrapped up in 2 sentences there. Built in excuses for losses and always the pre-season world beaters. Then September hits along with mass exit of cougie fans for about a month, LOL!!!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 12, 2017 6:56 p.m.

london_josh - lincoln, CA
    July 12, 2017 2:51 p.m.
    Hey, can we discuss punters instead of who'd dad can beat up the other guy's dad?

-----

Nothing to discuss, Wishnowski is the defending award winner.

He'll beating your dad SEVEN straight.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    July 12, 2017 5:16 p.m.

@Riverton Coug:

"If BYU beats Utah by one point and BYU fans claim utter domination the same way Ute "fans" have been doing this past year"

I think it is very funny that you think us Ute fans claim utter domination over byu because of one one-point win. Utah fans claim domination over byu because:

- byu's last win was before this decade started.
    - From 2011 on, byu has held the lead against Utah for a total of 9:34 (3.1%)
    - From 2011 on, byu has never held a second-half lead
    - From 2011 on, byu never held a single lead in 3 of the 5 games
    - Utah has been in every CFP poll, byu has never been mentioned once
    - NFL draft picks (need we talk about this more?)
    - Utes in the NFL (ditto)
    - Utah recruiting classes getting stronger, byu remains the same
    - Utah is in the Conference of Champions, byu stagnates in independence
    - Six straight wins
    - Utah gives up 6 turnovers at home, Utah wins by 1 point
    - byu gives up 6 turnovers at home, byu loses by 44

Go Utes!

7 in a row.

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    July 12, 2017 2:51 p.m.

I'm a huge fan of Linehan, amazing punter.

Wishnowski follows a long line of amazing Utah punters.

There you go - both teams have good punters, nobody would argue that Utah is known for special teams.

As for which team is better, last year it was Utah at home by a point against a team coaches by 1st year coaches. I don't think ute fans can argue that BYU fans have some expectations coming into this game, at home, with some advantages. Should be a great game as it always is.

Every article right now is about the rivalry, there is plenty of time for that and by beating BYU last year Utah is the better team until September, and yes it was by a single point.

I'm excited for fall camp reports and the opening of the season!

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    July 12, 2017 2:15 p.m.

"I have never ever read one positive comment from you regarding Utah. Hence my position. I call them like I see them."

@Spokane

Then you have not read all my comments. Besides, just because I don't trash Utah doesn't mean I praise them left and right, but despite that I do make positive comments regarding Utah.

@JohnInSLC

"Yet you aren't baffled by the many coog fans who agree, condone, and even celebrate his statements?"

I honestly don't know any BYU fans who agree, condone, and celebrate his statements. There may be the occasional who agrees/condones/celebrates, but I don't agree with that.

@Wallbanger

"absolutely will not make excuses or make lame comments such the 'one point loss' thing we've been hearing all year long"

If BYU beats Utah by one point and BYU fans claim utter domination the same way Ute "fans" have been doing this past year, it is certainly not an excuse or "lame comment", it's merely bringing them back to reality. Good luck with your season (except for one game).

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 12, 2017 12:37 p.m.

Riverton Cougar - Riverton, UT
    July 12, 2017 7:06 a.m.
    @Spokane Ute

-----------------

Yet it is BYU fans that attack our cheerleaders, our coaches families, and throw garbage at our officials.

“All those guys think that’s all there is to life. But when I’m making $50-60,000 a year, they’ll be pumping my gas. They’re low class losers.” -- BYU Alum

Yes Cougar Nation, stop all the hate.

• Tomahawk Red San Francisco, CA
    July 12, 2017 12:02 p.m.

With that fake punt at Boise, Linehan shoulda won it last season.

No wonder he's on the list.

LOL

• Tomahawk Red San Francisco, CA
    July 12, 2017 12:00 p.m.

JohnInSLC - Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 12, 2017 8:21 a.m.

--------

And are hypocritical with regard to them, as well

• Tomahawk Red San Francisco, CA
    July 12, 2017 11:59 a.m.

Riverton Cougar - Riverton, UT
    July 12, 2017 7:06 a.m.

I do not trash talk ... true fans.

-------

Ah, there's the loophole that allows him to hypocrite with reckless abandon!

• Thom Beaver, UT
    July 12, 2017 11:44 a.m.

He started it! No, he started it! No way, he started it first!

LOL

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    July 12, 2017 10:59 a.m.

Riverton Coug

Jello Guy,

Can you please blow the whistle so everyone can come in from recess and we can start the season? ;-)

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    July 12, 2017 9:54 a.m.

Seven more weeks until kickoff boys!😃 If byu does in fact beat my Utes this year, I will not hesitate to congratulate, and absolutely will not make excuses or make lame comments such the "one point loss" thing we've been hearing all year long. I'm much more concerned and excited about Utah's brutal schedule, than whether or not we beat the cougs for seven in a row.
    It would be fun and nice, but has no bearing on conference play. Go Utes!!!

• Jello is Good ,
    July 12, 2017 9:09 a.m.

This is just silly. I'm in for some good natured smack talk now and then from my rival who historically has been very competitive with my team and always makes for an exciting game, but many on both sides sound like my children with the he said she said..."oh yeah, well..", and compete obsessed and irrational comments.

Give your emotional and childish comments a rest. It's a very tired act.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 12, 2017 8:21 a.m.

"I did not agree with Max Hall's statements, nor did I condone them. I'm just baffled that many Ute fans seem to be trying their hardest to prove him right."

Rivertoncoog:

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    July 12, 2017 7:06 a.m.

@Spokane Ute

As for my comments reminding you of Hall's statements, oh well, that's your problem, not mine. I do not trash talk the Utes' school, football team, or true fans, and your opinion does not change that fact. Many of your comments are good, but they are increasingly becoming like the other type; please don't be like them.

• Pugman TREMONTON, UT
    July 11, 2017 5:31 p.m.

@Spokane Ute: Hate on.........Pot meet kettle.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    July 11, 2017 4:06 p.m.

Riverton Cougar - Riverton, UT
    July 11, 2017 2:26 p.m.

@JohnInSLC

And yet every day the haters keep on giving evidence to support Max Hall's statements. I'd think you'd want to prove Max Hall wrong, not right.
    --------
    Your comments remind me a lot of Max Hall's take; congrats. Hate On!

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    July 11, 2017 2:26 p.m.

@JohnInSLC

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 11, 2017 12:13 p.m.

"So what do we think about the comment from Max in Springville."

Laxman:

It's par for the hypocritical course. His obsessive screen name says it all.

• Floyd Johnson Broken Arrow, OK
    July 11, 2017 10:56 a.m.

Best wishes to all of these guys. I do think it is a shame that the programs in Utah were unable to hold on to some of this talent (Gusten, Falk, Schultz...). I am sure it was the right decision for them (tough to say no to Stanford), but it would have been nice to see them in a few more games.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    July 10, 2017 9:40 p.m.

8 Ute players drafted by the NFL -- how many were on these pre-season lists?
    I'd rather be on the draft board than a watch list.

• Ldsrm Spanish Fork, UT
    July 10, 2017 6:00 p.m.

I think it is great seeing a lot more of Schools from Utah on the list

• CentralcoastUte San luis obispo , CA
    July 10, 2017 5:27 p.m.

@Max,

These are only two watch lists. When the rest come out, the Utes will definitely have more that byu. You can bank on it.

• Laxman taylorsville, UT
    July 10, 2017 4:38 p.m.

Cougars are all of the time complaining about negative Ute comments. So what do we think about the comment from Max in Springville. I glad your still jealous of the PAC 12.

• Max-was-right springville, UT
    July 10, 2017 3:53 p.m.

Once again the utes have twice as many players on these lists, they can thank the PAC ten for all .....oh wait never mind.