Morning links: Chris Paul should look at the Jazz; BYU vs. Alabama game lauded; Whittingham underrated

• soulkracker Kansas City, MO
    June 23, 2017 8:38 a.m.

The Cougars DIDN'T lose Eric Mika to the NBA draft as stated in the article. I watched the entire draft last night!

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    June 20, 2017 10:05 a.m.

@ Naval Vet - Philadelphia, PA - June 19, 2017 10:39 a.m. - "Austin Brown of SB Nation's Mid-major Madness looked at the top mid-major non-conference college basketball games for 2017-18, and the matchup between the BYU Cougars and the Alabama Crimson Tide made the list." Chalk that up as yet another unbiased reporter considering the cougars as a "mid-major", just as Ute fans have been telling our fact-resistant little brother all along for something like 6-yrs now."

So tell us again how 'great' your team is for barely beating a lowly mid-major the last several years?

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    June 20, 2017 7:12 a.m.

toosmartforyou - Kaysville, UT
    June 19, 2017 11:48 p.m.

I guess Utah and Whittingham get a pass for the two years in a row they didn't go to bowls. You remember the first year...all they had to do was beat Colorado in SLC and the Buffs were the worst road team in America and utah had Norm Chow as their OC. Too bad that was too high a hurdle for them. But I guess winning the southern division when it was greased with other PAC12 teams being ineligible would have been looked upon as being improper for the new up-start utes. Otherwise, why didn't they win it?...they were superior on paper, being a P-5 team and all! In the meantime, Colorado has left them in the dust yet again.
    -----------
    As Utah has to BYU? Why do you always have to get another program to fight your battles? We all know when basketball season rolls around it's time to insert Gonzaga. That doesn't sound too smart at all. It actually is just the opposite.

• toosmartforyou Kaysville, UT
    June 19, 2017 11:48 p.m.

• Almy Pleasant Grove, UT
    June 19, 2017 8:27 p.m.

Finally a publication is talking about Chris Paul and the Utah jazz is a possibility. I've been wondering about that ever since utah beat Chris Paul in the playoffs. Why don't they just go after him harder to get their own superteam? Utah is a good point guard from being a contender!

• Almy Pleasant Grove, UT
    June 19, 2017 8:22 p.m.

Finally I see a publication saying this! I've been saying it since we beat Chris Paul in the playoffs. Why wouldn't we want to get Chris Paul and create our semi superteam in Utah?

• CentralcoastUte San luis obispo , CA
    June 19, 2017 6:35 p.m.

@Jello,

So by your logic, Army and Umass are P5 schools.

LOL!

Go Utes!

• KimmyP Grantsville, UT
    June 19, 2017 5:53 p.m.

@ jello,
    Calling BYU's football team "mid-major" is very accurate. Calling them anything but, mid-major, is where the inaccuracies enter.

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    June 19, 2017 5:43 p.m.

How can a coach who at this time last year was considered in the top 10, now be considered underrated? These articles are sometimes puzzling.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    June 19, 2017 5:41 p.m.

@Who am I sir?
    That's fantasy football talk. Seasonal league I think means single-season roster. Round 7-8 matters in the 20ish round fantasy league draft. Dynasty/keeper leagues are fantasy leagues that let you keep some players from year to year and it tends to be that they fill in the pick you used to select them so getting a good rookie and locking them up at a low pick is a good advantage to have if you guess right on the rookie.

• KimmyP Grantsville, UT
    June 19, 2017 5:16 p.m.

@ 65powderpuff,
    Maybe if the Ute's could take a page from BYU on how to schedule games in November, things may turn out more favorable for them.

• Jello is Good ,
    June 19, 2017 5:10 p.m.

@Navy

We are talking about basketball. BYU is a member of the WCC for basketball. WCC is considered a mid major conference. Nobody at BYU disputes this.

However, in football BYU is an Independant with no conference affiliation. As such, calling their football team "midmajor " would be inaccurate. But you knew that.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    June 19, 2017 4:28 p.m.

I could give you 3.3 million reasons a year why Kyle is not underrated. Probably more since he just signed a new deal.

• CentralcoastUte San luis obispo , CA
    June 19, 2017 3:08 p.m.

I honestly don't see how Whitt, Shaw or Sweeny are under rated. Under rated by whom? Maybe by sports writers but not any college coaches, players or AD's. Most, not all, schools would hire any of them in a heartbeat.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 19, 2017 1:43 p.m.

@NevadaCoug

Thanks. Because I know nothing about fantasy football, I'm taking it at face value that you are correct and not kidding me! Fantasy football - no wonder. I'm a Ute fan so I know nothing about it.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    June 19, 2017 12:20 p.m.

So the coach who had the PAC-12 South championship handed to him until he lost 3 of his last 4 games is underrated? That is some strange logic.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    June 19, 2017 11:25 a.m.

Re: Who am I

Fantasy Football. It's talking about fantasy football.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 19, 2017 10:39 a.m.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 19, 2017 10:09 a.m.

From the link re: Williams

"Williams is worth splurging on with a pick in Round 7 or 8 in seasonal leagues. You might see him get taken a round sooner in dynasty/keeper start-up formats and will certainly be a first-round choice in rookie-only drafts"

This is a sincere question. Does anyone know what this is saying? What is "seasonal leagues"? The draft is over so what is the Round 7 or 8 referring to? What is "dynasty/keeper start-up formats"? What is the "rookie-only drafts"?

As I have posted earlier, after reading a Bleacher Report article about him I ham hoping he makes the Packers therefore this link was of interest. However, I really don't know the answer to any of the questions I posted at the first. Can anyone give me insight?

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 19, 2017 9:44 a.m.

Whitt won the National Coach of the Year award following the 2008 season...So yeah, underrated might not be the best tag for Kyle, pretty sure he has plenty of respect from fellow coaches at the very least.

• ekute Layton, UT
    June 19, 2017 8:36 a.m.

Whitt isn't underrated. He's been well respected for quite a while. Go Utes!