Utah Muslim leader arrives home Sunday after being barred from entering U.S.

• Commenter88 Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 19, 2017 4:00 p.m.

We need to be a bit more careful before automatically imputing religious discrimination when dealing with the "no-fly" list. I know numerous people who've been delayed because of this, and they weren't even Muslim. It is a very problematic, vague, and error-prone restriction that has snared people of many different faiths for many different, stupid reasons. It is rife with mistakes and probably includes unconstitutional processes that affect Christians, Muslims, Hindus, etc. If anything, it probably has more to do with knee-jerk observations of travel patterns and locations traveled as much as anything else.

• bamafone Salem, UT
    June 19, 2017 3:57 p.m.

Trout stalker
    I am confident that LDS missionaries and the religion they represent do not call for terrorism of other innocent people or religions. Trouble with immigration is, it is now well known that the vast majority of actions and threat of action comes by the hand of those belonging to that faith. It is happening on a daily basis around the world. If this man was on a no fly list, there may be reason. Until it is sorted out, it should remain, until sorted out otherwise. Many terrorist have been on lists, and we all know that violent acts have been perpetrated by individuals slipping through the cracks. That is fact. The difference between me and some here, as well as some at the DN is, I am not PC. History is a very valuable teacher, and promoting an agenda or being careless has nothing to do with predudice. And to the agenda thing, wait a day or two, there will be a similar story tearing at heart strings of those who do not know history.

• JLindow St George, UT
    June 19, 2017 3:09 p.m.

It's good to see good people step up to help out a family caught in the mindless gears of the security theater bureaucracy.

• MrsH Altamont, UT
    June 19, 2017 1:06 p.m.

P Bundy, I wish I could give your comment 1000 "likes".
    Very to-the-point, and compassionate.

• UtahTroutStalker Draper, UT
    June 19, 2017 12:51 p.m.

@Bamafone

I guess LDS missionaries who travel often should also be placed on "no fly lists"?

If the DN's agenda is to see that we remain a country with freedom of religion, where not only it's missionaries but also those of other faiths (who are citizens) may freely leave and come back well I guess you nailed them buddy. Good work. Thanks for outing them for the rest of us.

• Red Corvette St George, UT
    June 19, 2017 10:30 a.m.

I'm guessing he will think twice before leaving the country next time.

• OlderGreg USA, CA
    June 19, 2017 10:05 a.m.

That pilot needs a huge PR acknowledgment for doing the right thing.

For those who complain about illegal immigrants -- consider this as yet another reveal of a major systemic bureaucratic problem. Five years of bureaucratic processing to be finally system blessed, only to be received like this?

There is no justification for that kind of (sadly normal) delay. The Immigration system is broken.

• P Bundy Albuquerque, NM
    June 19, 2017 8:52 a.m.

Oh please bamafone, what exactly is the "Deseret News agenda?"

God bless this family and the pilot who stepped up and did the right thing.

• ATC Chick Jacksonville, FL
    June 19, 2017 8:35 a.m.

Hmmmm . . .
    Please enlighten me as to the "DN Agenda?"
    A US citizen, with legally documented family members, has flown back/forth multiple times and now on a no-fly list?
    Props to the AA pilot, although I'm sure he'll be visiting the Chief Pilot's office for a chat!

• Lolly Lehi, UT
    June 19, 2017 8:20 a.m.

It sure indicates again how important family is. We had a similar situation wherein we could not get our new son in law into the United States even though he was not on any "lists". Senator Hatch intervened and he is here!

• bamafone Salem, UT
    June 19, 2017 7:33 a.m.

The Deseret News agenda proudly on display

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    June 18, 2017 7:50 p.m.

If I were him, and I'd read some of the things people had said on this website about me, I'd avoid coming back to Utah at all costs. The bigotry and islamophobia on display here over the last couple of days has been despicable.