In our opinion: It's time to remove the federal roadblocks for needed infrastructure

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    June 17, 2017 10:46 a.m.

America needed the infrastructure bills during the Obama Administration.

Republicans voted down every one of Obama's job bill fearing that he might look good to the American public. Republicans had no concern or America.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    June 17, 2017 10:17 a.m.

Infrastructure is one part of our system which has been socialistic from the beginning. I love it.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    June 17, 2017 8:51 a.m.

Don't rely on federal dollars and you don't need to worry about it. But when my son comes to me for money to do something he wants to do.... I absolutely have a say in how that money is spent. If he doesn't want me having any say.... that's easy.... spend just his own money.

Same with the states. You want to be self directing without outside interference.... fund the projects yourself.

• TAS Tehachapi, CA
    June 16, 2017 4:16 p.m.

Are people willing to pay the taxes it takes to fund internal improvements, or do they want to complain about higher taxes? You get what you are willing to pay for.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    June 16, 2017 2:32 p.m.

@Diligent Dave "Marx never had, and has not now for us any viable solutions."

True, in large part. Marx was not a social architect. He was an economic theoretician in the same line as Smith and Ricardo. In fact, he completes them.

Marx shows how accumulation works in capitalism. In the years going forward, if we have not digested Marx we will literally not know what is going on.

Capitalism is driving itself into the ditch with it's concentration of wealth and income. Marx understands this, while so-called mainstream economics does not, with the possible exception of the Frenchman Piketty.

Please, an historical note: infrastructure has never been done by the private sector alone. Government, i.e. social capital, has been in the middle of it. That's why government infrastructure investment is so important now. It can postpone capitalism's day of reckoning. I leave kids behind in this mess, so I am all for it.

• liberal larry Salt Lake City, UT
    June 16, 2017 1:09 p.m.

As a landlord I'm deluged with regulations! Smoke alarms, background checks, building codes, and property tax!!

I'll tell you this, you don't see these types of regulations in free market, small government, places like Mexico, Somalia, and Afghanistan! Can you image how easy it must be to build infrastructure in these lightly regulated Utopias!

It's only in highly regulated, leftist, countries like Canada, Germany, Sweden, and Denmark that you see these burdensome regulations!

• Diligent Dave Logan, UT
    June 16, 2017 12:37 p.m.

@marxist & Educator

I personally have two degrees from the University of Utah, one of them in business. So I had economic professors from The Economic Department, to be sure. But this was back in the late 1970s.

My best professor during all of my University education was from the U's Economics Department. His name was Kerry Dougherty. My worst Professor was also from the same department. But teaching staff can change considerably over time.

Also, Trump is not forcibly "my man". I voted neither for him nor for his main rival. But I did vote.

Most Trump haters have been against him since he was sworn in, and before. He has been given no honeymoon, as most all previous presidents have been given. You would still like Hillary to be in office, and have Trump expelled from it now!

Marx never had, and has not now for us any viable solutions. But, as Cleon Skousen, wrote about the Naked Communist, disparagingly, so wrote he the book, the Naked Capitalist. And, with him, I concur.

Marxism, or Socialism, is every bit as much a Ponzi scheme as was Bernie Madoff's. Only difference is govt runs it. But both, in the long run, go broke!

• storm3033 Vernal, Utah
    June 16, 2017 12:23 p.m.

I would like to know what projects our elected officials have recommended aside from the Lake Powell pipeline that they personally petitioned trump for.

• The Educator South Jordan, UT
    June 16, 2017 9:38 a.m.

I wish people like Diligent Dave wouldn't just brush off any criticism of his boy as haters. I also wish people like him would call anything to the left of the disastrous supply side economics as marxist. Part of civil dialogue is understanding and respecting those who have different opinions. Stereotyping professors and discounting proven economic theory (Keynesian economics) as mere Marxism doesn't help things.

We need to be smarter and better informed, slower to anger and stereotyping.

Get Educated

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    June 16, 2017 9:21 a.m.

@Diligent Dave ' I was told not many years ago that the U of U Economic Department was full of Marxist economists (which, if true, would be an oxymoron)."

I am a product of the U of U economics department and proud of it. When I was there that department was distinguished by its reading of original economic literature. I read Smith, Ricardo, and Marx along with many other founders of the discipline.

Have you ever read any Marx besides maybe the Manifesto, Diligent Dave? Few have. Marx is taboo. But Marx is essential.

The late great Keynesian economist Joan Robinson said at the 3rd Tanner Lecture economics will not advance save by the route outlined by Marx.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    June 16, 2017 9:12 a.m.

The United States and Utah lack a balanced transportation policy. Indeed when balance is sought such is pilloried, e.g. high speed rail in California.

As an aside in the good (bad) old days we just built the road and hang the consequences. For years we witnessed the wonder of the Castle Gate north of Price. When approached from the north the gate seemed to magically open. But there were two sides to the gate - the railroad side (still there ) and the road side (blasted to hades). A natural wonder was destroyed for all time just to save a few bucks widening the road. Care is needed with any construction, including care for the environment and natural wonders.

• Diligent Dave Logan, UT
    June 16, 2017 9:07 a.m.

Whatever Trump's flaws as a person are, which would be nice to be able to read comments here, without reading so many Trump haters as the first two commenters on this board appear to be. I didn't vote for Trump, but I'm not opposed to much of what he's said since he became president.

I know that perhaps about 15 years back, a fellow who still worked at BLM, as my father did for half of his career, pointed out the BLM in their Salt Lake office at that time w'ere only hiring people from outside of the state of Utah. They would not advertise in Utah for BLM jobs then.

I'm aware by people in the know of where some departments in universities in this state won't hire any Mormons, so as to hire only a non-Mormon teaching staff (or, dare I say, an anti Mormon teaching staff)? I was told not many years ago that the U of U Economic Department was full of Marxist economists (which, if true, would be an oxymoron).

I wouldn't doubt that many people in many positions throughout our government and otherwise are bent on the destruction of our nation, as I believe many so-called environmentalists, including some Fed personnel seem to be.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    June 16, 2017 7:09 a.m.

Yeah that Infrastructure Week was super impressive. Another "All Hat - No Cattle" Trump event.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    June 16, 2017 6:56 a.m.

"As a former real estate developer, he said Trump is aware of how exasperating it can be to navigtate the maze of regulations imposed by agencies with a stake in a particular project."

"Former"? About all Trump has done since taking office is to find ways to enrich himself, his family and his properties on the backs of US taxpayers. Trump has done nothing to legally divest his business interests from the office of President.