Letter: Utah vs. Scotland

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    June 19, 2017 10:57 p.m.

What in Tucket?:

So billboards are capitalism at its finest...

Also, I think in Scotland they have private ownership of land, businesses that compete against other businesses and consumers have choices in products, things we equate with capitalism.

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    June 17, 2017 10:16 a.m.

Capitalism has brought billions out of poverty. Socialism never works. Believe it.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    June 17, 2017 9:25 a.m.

"We have a system to recycle bottles. Your comment tells me you need a financial incentive to do so. I recycle without that incentive. I guess that makes me more environmentally friendly."
    No. Your guess is incorrect. I recycle mine, too. Along with the paper, cardboard, metal cans, glass, batteries, plastic and food waste my household generates. However, it doesn't take too much of a look at our roadsides to suggest that many people don't recycle containers. Nor is there any incentive whatsoever in scrap value to motivate people to collect discarded containers.
    Deposit based systems work.

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    June 16, 2017 11:23 p.m.

I would definitely agree Scotland is beautiful and the numerous billboards in UT are an eyesore--not only along freeways and highways but on many streets in business areas. For example, State Street from 90th and west is just trashy looking in part, because of the billboards.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    June 16, 2017 6:25 p.m.

Occidental.... don't confuse quality of life with "wealth". Having a bigger TV or more cars.... or even bigger house doesn't make you happier, because next year there will be yet another better TV, a nicer car, and someone with a bigger, nicer home. America is obsessed with happiness through "things".... not the long term recipe for true happiness.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    June 16, 2017 11:45 a.m.

yeah, billboards are ugly

Imperial7
    Another of your tirades against out legislature

Yawn

According to US NEWS and World Reports, Utah has the 3rd best state government in the nation, behind only Indiana (VERY red) and VA (mostly blue). They used four main factors, fiscal stability, budget transparency, government digitalization, and state integrity. You seem to harp the last of those. Utah ranked middle of the pack in that regard at 25, and I agree we can improve on that, but even there we are better than many.

Hutterite

• SMcloud Sandy, UT
    June 16, 2017 11:05 a.m.

I hate billboards. They are an eyesore and a distraction to drivers. They make everything look cheap.

Vermont has outlawed them outright and you REALLY notice a difference driving through the countryside. Must we put advertisements everywhere?

• Occidentali Los Angeles, CA
    June 15, 2017 10:03 p.m.

The West is a desert with a lot of space. We have more economic opportunity and personal wealth. This is because we have more liberty and less government regulation than Scotland.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    June 15, 2017 8:19 p.m.

You become very accustomed to the blight that billboards are until you go somewhere where there aren't any. Then, what a difference.
    It would make quite a bit of difference, too, if we had a proper beverage container recycling deposit system.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    June 15, 2017 8:15 p.m.

Too funny. See what traveling will do to you. Sets unrealistic expectations. Being in a safe little bubble at home doesn't give you silly ideas like there is more than one way to do something.

Don't let it happen again.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    June 15, 2017 4:54 p.m.

But, But..... this is the "best managed state". Managed by lawmakers that would sell anything to make a buck.