Morning links: Mika's NBA prospects examined; Hayward a playoff winner; Bolles giving back

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    June 19, 2017 12:34 a.m.

I think that Eric had promise... Now I think that he is just another Plaisted... He'll be playing in Europe for the remainder of his career. I don't know who he was listening to when he made his decision to end his Amateur career, but it was some very bad advise in my book. Too many issues to overcome... Unlike college, when you hit the pros (regardless of where) the expectation is that you will develop yourself if you're not already developed... more R&D and individual work is administered

I hate to say this because I am a huge fan but Mika wasn't even in the top 2 centers in our conference (he was 3rd or 4th)... He had one great game and has decided to hang the rest of his career and the life of his family on what that one great game will bring him in the future.

I'd love to be more optimistic but it would the comments would be "plastic " if I were.

• Gruncle Ralph Salt Lake City, UT
    June 15, 2017 2:05 p.m.

@portlander

-----------------

He's not much like Jimmer. Jimmer has been clear through comments and through his actions that he's determined to play the game his way. He's had opportunities to adjust so he could carve out a niche in the NBA as a spot-up shooter but he is determined to be a ball in hand guy.

Mika has been working on his OFI's and stretching himself as a player. Just look at last season, he worked on his game and by season's end was doing more to score facing the basket and from distance (showed nice range from the top of the key vs Gonzaga).

Development comes from playing against better players and he wasn't going to get much of that playing at BYU. Even if he's in the D-League he will be getting a chance to go up against some NBA caliber talent on a daily basis.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    June 15, 2017 12:38 p.m.

Best of luck to Mika. Even if he does go to Europe or China, the NBA has the summer league each year, so the NBA can keep up on his progress. I would like to see him get a shot in the NBA.

The Broncos are already getting paid dividends on their first round pick. Bolles is a great man in addition to being an extremely gifted athlete.

• portlander Arlington, WA
    June 15, 2017 10:30 a.m.

@BYUFan12 - Eric would have developed and matured with at least one more year in college, whereas now, unless he makes an NBA squad, he likely will be relegated to the fringe, much like Jimmer Fredette. I would have liked to see Eric graduate from the Y, then play one more season for an Arizona, Gonzaga, Florida, Duke or other school with upper tier cred.

• TaxpayerinUtah Utah, UT
    June 15, 2017 9:51 a.m.

I have always felt that Eric should have stayed at BYU one more year, but..... Best of luck wherever he goes.

• BYUFan12 Meridian, ID
    June 15, 2017 9:15 a.m.

Esquire - Springville, UT
    June 15, 2017 8:46 a.m.
    "He may need a few additional years of seasoning to refine his offensive skill set and get stronger..." Exactly. He should have stayed in college. He's not yet NBA material. I suppose the question is whether an NBA team will want to take on a multi-year project. Ego has crushed reality.
    ----------

I am a huge BYU fan, and while I wish that Mika stayed, I do not think he would be able to develop his game at quite the rate he wants to make him a 1st round pick. Keep in mind that he would be playing teams from the WCC, not the ACC. He will be able to fine-tune his game and have more of a chance of making an NBA roster while playing overseas or in the D-league than he would playing for BYU. I hope the best for Mika and will continue cheering hard for him!! Go Cougs!

• Esquire Springville, UT
    June 15, 2017 8:46 a.m.

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    June 15, 2017 8:36 a.m.

My take from the article is that Mika will probably be playing in Europe or China next year making a decent salary. NBA teams will continue to monitor his progress and offer tryouts from time to time. I think he will have to be a monster in Europe and develop a much better outside game to get serious attention from the NBA. He should have stayed in College one more year.