Utah

Advocates: Utah sexual assault bill could harm victims

• DrMAN Orem, UT
    May 19, 2017 8:38 a.m.

@ Moderate

Read the article again (i.e., Title IX office [within BYU] reported honor code violations to the Honor Code office [within BYU]). Police are legally obligated to report to institutions when rapes occur on or are associated with the institutions. It's called Title IX. And Title IX offices have the legal obligation to investigate, which may uncover code of conduct violations by those involved. Turning a blind eye to code of conduct violations for crime victims is unwarranted. It is the victim that would be choosing to let his/her rapist go free in order to avoid punishment for code of conduct violations. It is a costs/benefits analysis. The underreporting of crime is immaterial to proposing legislation that compels institutions to grant code of conduct amnesty for rape victims.

• geekusprimus Little Elm, TX
    May 18, 2017 11:44 p.m.

It's pretty clear that this is in response to BYU, Westminster, and the University of Utah all being placed under federal investigation for their handling of sexual assault cases (particularly BYU, since the honor code forbids the use of alcohol and drugs). My question is as follows: after public outcry made people realize that there was an issue, why are we just now seeing legislators ponder solutions a year afterward? BYU has revised their policies and separated the Honor Code Office from the Title IX office, Westminster has also made changes, and I'm sure the U has, too. In other words, the law is just untimely bloated nonsense to win some votes from a few uninformed citizens while ignoring the real issues at hand.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2017 11:21 p.m.

DrMan "I just don't understand what the code of conduct violations have to do with the rapes"
    When a student is raped, they normally report it to the police. Unfortunately, the police took it upon themselves to forward the matter to the honor code office.

Knowing that the local police department would forward the complaint, students hesitate to report a crime. Because students are reluctant to report a crime, a rapist goes free. Other students believe the campus is safe because they see a low crime statistic. The statistic is falsely low, and hides the fact that the crime rate is higher, just unreported. Worse, it hides the fact that rapists run free.

• cjd1 Draper, UT
    May 18, 2017 9:47 p.m.

No BIG12 for BYU.

• DrMAN Orem, UT
    May 18, 2017 8:59 p.m.

If I'm growing weed in my house and I am the victim of a home invasion, the cops who come to investigate the home invasion aren't going to give me a pass (AKA, amnesty) on my weed-growing antics because I'm now the victim of a home invasion. Now, if I'm not willing to come forth to report the home invasion because the cops will find out about my weed (and, hence, let the home invasion perpetrators get away with it), that's my own stupid fault for growing weed! I don't have a leg to stand on trying to blame the government/law enforcement for me not reporting the invasion because of their stance against and associated consequences with growing weed. The one has absolutely nothing to do with the other!

I just don't understand what the code of conduct violations have to do with the rapes such that the code of conduct violations would be overlooked when investigating the rapes. This just makes no sense.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2017 5:49 p.m.

Wow, Brent T. of Aurora CO. You realize that this is an article about sexual assault, right? Sexual assault is not about "exercising poor judgement". It is a crime against a victim.

• Brent T. Aurora CO Aurora, CO
    May 18, 2017 5:11 p.m.

A woman who has unprotected sex and ends up with an STD or pregnant is culpable. These are possible and reasonable consequences of not protecting yourself. In the same way, drinking and drug use (lowering your protection by compromising your mental and physical faculties), while not excusing the rapist, makes you culpable. Giving a pass on stupid, as well as unsanctioned behavior, is yet one more ill advised capitulation to exercising poor judgement. As well it certainly clouds the determination of consent.

While my message to my daughters, and now my granddaughters, would be abstinence until marriage and never consuming alcohol or using drugs, it would clearly be that CHOOSING to do, impairing yourself, is asking for trouble, implies interest/consent, and is not a valid excuse for the expected outcome from foolish decisions.