Sports

Rockmonster Unplugged: Ex-Cougar Eric Mika makes a good call

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    May 20, 2017 6:39 p.m.

It was a bad move and unfortunately he will recognize that with 20-20 vision in about 3 to 5 years. I love the Cougs and I love Mika, but he got some very bad advise, or else he's pinning his hopes on a unicorn. Another year or two would have landed him in the First Round with bigger bucks and better name recognition... Unfortunately the "D League" or Europe will be his landing place.

I hope that Rock is right and I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

• Brent T. Aurora CO Aurora, CO
    May 20, 2017 2:45 p.m.

The NBA is boring -- and am not talking about the current play-offs (no drama). It's the game itself for the lack of skills that should be honed in 4 years of competitive (higher level than any high school) college ball. The NBA long ago made a mistake in not requiring, as most businesses do, a 4 year degree (includes Kobe and LeBron).
    The larger problem here is FEW teams, with FEW roster spots every year drafting (forsaking scholarships/college education) too MANY college [and high school] players. For those that make these rosters, they jetison last year's one and done college players who become one and done NBA washouts.
    As for Mika (CA reader pointed out) he's from the WCC. He's not even the 1st, 2nd or 3rd best NBA prospect from the WCC. Sure, it not a fact he's not NBA ready nor probably ever will be; could happen. Very unlikely; seems a poor choice. And a dishonorable one (accepting a scholarship, time to develop, return on BYU's investment). This is disappointing.
    Let's hope BYU sets the lead example, especially to great programs like Duke and Kansas, in contractually locking in players to play four years of college ball or letting them go elsewhere.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 20, 2017 12:47 p.m.

If Mika wanted a career in the NBA, why did he choose to play in WACistan???

• More Mature Y Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2017 12:44 p.m.

I don't understand those that say Fredette deserves another chance in the NBA or that he never got a fair chance. He's just not an NBA player. And that's not me saying that. Gregg Popovich said that. I think Gregg Popovich knows a thing or two about NBA players. Let's keep the memories of what a great college player and move on.

• CA. reader Rocklin, CA
    May 20, 2017 10:08 a.m.

I firmly believe that Erik will not be drafted for a couple of reasons. He played in the WCC and GMs always lean toward power 5 schools at the last moment when drafting. They may believe he can help their teams true, but they will want to gete him for the undrafted-free agent price as opposed to paying a drafted player salary. Then where does he play? I don't think he is big enough to play center in the NBA and his game, both offensively and defensively on the perimeter are not well developed. One more year in college would have benefitted him greatly.

• Idaho forever South Jordan, UT
    May 20, 2017 9:01 a.m.

lots of teeth grinding going on in Provo over this one..............I wish him well, glad he is gone

• Marked it Down Park City, UT
    May 19, 2017 10:03 p.m.

Mika will make an NBA roster in 2017.

Mark it Down!

• Yes_I_Am South Jordan, UT
    May 19, 2017 2:58 p.m.

If Greg Kite can play in the NBA for several years then Mika can and will. Yeah, the league is different now, but Mika is big, strong, and athletic. I would bet my mother-in-law he makes a team.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    May 19, 2017 2:22 p.m.

I hope Jimmer does get another chance. He deserves it. As for Mika making it in the NBA, well, I not only think it is possible, but I think he will become a starter within a year or two. The NBA always values athletic big men (as in coordinated). It should be pointed out that Mika often faced double and triple teams in college this past year. In the NBA there is so much talent that other teams will not be able to double team him. I agree with the article that Mika made the right decision, but I still wish he would have come back for one more season.

• az willy San Tan Valley, AZ
    May 19, 2017 1:06 p.m.

Say it ain't so, Fredette too old! He just never got a chance.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    May 19, 2017 12:38 p.m.

Europe is in his future. I'm sorry, but I don't buy it that he is ready for the NBA. I wish him well, but he will be in over his head on this.