Opinion

Jay Evensen: Let's declare a war on cyber crime

• John Jackson Sandy, UT
    May 19, 2017 11:19 p.m.

NSA is a military intelligence-gathering agency, but it is not where we, the citizens, can go have crimes against us investigated. If a cyber crime is committed against us, where can we go? Seems a few years ago, I called my local police and they referred me to the FBI.
    Mike Richards is right about the NSA practices being at odds with the Fourth Amendment. I, too, have wondered about that.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    May 19, 2017 6:38 p.m.

We have a serious problem, one far beyond the abilities of NSA to fix. The Constitution states:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

That's the law. That's OUR law to protect us against the government; yet, each day NSA in Bluffdale violates the 4th Amendment. It has my data. It has your data. No judge has ever issued a warrant based on probable cause to any government entity to "spy" on my emails or on my cell phone calls.

Yes, we need to "declare war" on cyber crime, but enlisting the NSA, who is spying on us, to "protect" from criminal activity is a joke.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 19, 2017 10:08 a.m.

@John Jackson 10:59
    #1. RE: "Do we even have an investigative agency for cyber crime?
    ---
    Yes. It's called the NSA. Google it.

They have a HUGE data center in Utah fighting cyber crime and terrorism.

#2 RE "It is tucked into the FBI I guess"
    Not part of the FBI (under DOJ). NSA is under DOD (Dept of Defense) The part of the government Democrats always want cut when budget talks come around.

NSA fights cyber crimes, and terrorism (along with CIA). We need them now more than ever. Why would you cut their budget, especially when it's only 14% of the whole budget (We spend 65% of the budget on social programs).

#3. RE "how many agents"...
    NSA staff numbers are top secret, but it's huge.

#4. RE "how advanced they are in the art of tracking down cyber criminals"
    Very advanced.

People at NSA are the smartest software people in USA. One of my friends (smartest guy in our high school) went to NSA after college. They have to pay these top people to keep them. They need to be the smartest software engineers in the world to stop Russia, China, N-Korea's best.

They don't catch everything but millions of hack attempts are blocked every hour.

• IceCreamGhost Sandy, UT
    May 19, 2017 12:58 a.m.

The wars of the next century will be fought with computer viruses and drone strikes. I think it's in our interest to put more money into cybercrime prevention and less on conventional war machines.

• John Jackson Sandy, UT
    May 18, 2017 11:14 p.m.

Two of the biggest stories of the past week involved cyber harms. There is the WannaCry story, of course. But, don't forget the investigation of Russia's meddling in our election involved acts committed online. So, perhaps reflecting on the fact that two of our biggest news stories involved cyber harms will prompt us to realize it has blossomed into one of our nation's biggest problems. Cyber crime is earning a spot right next to the national debt, pollution, terrorism, etc.

• John Jackson Sandy, UT
    May 18, 2017 10:59 p.m.

Good thought, Jay. Good article. I, too, think we should "declare war" on cyber crime. Do we even have an investigative agency for cyber crime? It is tucked into the FBI, I would guess, but I wonder how many agents there are and how advanced they are in the art of tracking down cyber criminals. And, shouldn't we have a whole new string of laws? We should identify each harm being committed by cyber players and make a law against it. Phishing, for example, should be against the law. Is it? I doubt it. Is it against the law to send an email that spreads a virus? I wonder? It seems surely we have at least created a law against that, or have we? I do not hear any news of what charges the WannaCry criminals will face if they are caught, so I wonder.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 18, 2017 10:34 a.m.

RE: "Let's declare a war on cyber crime"...
    OK. War declared. Now what... count the bodies?

===

I think war is a strong word, but we should deal with this problem. Don't know if war is the solution though. But learning how to deal with it and taking the steps needed... that would be good. If declaring war on it helps... good.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    May 18, 2017 9:57 a.m.

Why? Must we bring it to the level of 'war' in the lexicon? Of course cyber crime is bad, and of course we are working on dealing with it.
    But to call it a war...by the way, how have our other 'wars on...' been doing? Drugs, poverty, they're all defeated now?
    Let's avoid the rhetoric and get to work.