Opinion

In our opinion: Mr. Chaffetz, are you staying or going?

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    May 18, 2017 12:29 p.m.

Correction:

I look forward to the tenure of "Governor Chaffetz" beginning in 2020.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 18, 2017 12:13 p.m.

@last to fall 11:36
    re: "I'm not a liberal. Not registered as a "liberal"...
    ---
    How do you "register" as a liberal?
    Is there a place I need to register as a conservative?

I didn't know anything about this registration requirement.

I wonder if I'm officially conservative. I mean I haven't registered with anybody. I just thought it was my personal belief on life and politics. Didn't know I have to register or anything official like that.

Where's the registry? I want to make sure I'm on it.

===

As for all the trashing Chaffetz going on from those on the Left... what good does it do?

Do you think it really helps anything? All the negativity.

===

RE: "I'd like to see him retire down to Four Corners, and quietly finish out his tour on the Mortal Coil with no further media contact"... ( 6:39)
    ---
    He has as much right to be on the news as Nancy Pelosi or Harry Reid. Ever seen them on TV? I have. Haven't heard any Democrats complain about them and the media attention they get. Double-Standard?

A lot of politicians get more media attention than Chaffetz. Many are Democrats. Seen how many times Democrat attack-dog Chuck Shummer's been on TV lately? It's their job.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    May 18, 2017 11:33 a.m.

@Prometheus Platypus

Your's are exactly the type of comments that I was referring to in my earlier post. So I guess you wouldn't be voting for him again even if he were to run. zzz. Next.

Chaffetz has accurately played the part for which he was elected. I'm kind of sorry to see him go. Folks who don't like the way he has served probably didn't vote for him... but I believe that those folks (which seems to include you) are in the small minority (Thank Goodness)... One of the reasons that I love this state. We're not bullied by Liberal "mean talk"... We vote for and elect Conservatives who match the conservative values of this state.

I look forward to the tenure of "Governor Chaffetz" beginning in 2018.

As for Trump? I wasn't a fan of his during the election season but I sure am one now. He has done exactly what he promised to do... A Conservative Appointment to the SCOTUS, remove growth obstacles to the Economy, Protect our Borders, Protect American Jobs, Stop the ridiculous apologizing that the previous administration engaged in for 8 years, improved our relations with our allies, and has served notice to our enemies that we will no longer erase red lines, etc.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    May 18, 2017 9:58 a.m.

If he is retiring before his term ends and the people bear the expense of a special election, then I think a more fulsome explanation is owed.

• Prometheus Platypus Orem, UT
    May 18, 2017 9:54 a.m.

tsobserver claims: "He's the slave of his constituents. All of these comments condemning him for being human seem to forget the common decency we owe to one another as fellow human beings."

Laughable, he isn't even available to his constituents, he is only available for camera opportunities and admiration, if you aren't in lock step with him, you were bussed in and paid to question his poor decisions.

Common decency like he showed to those he was questioning during investigations?
    Sure I'll give him the same respect, he shows others.

Those who complain that people should only post happiness and sunshine about Jason, haven't been paying attention. Conservatives can't claim moral superiority any more after electing Donald.
    I wouldn't be able to look my daughter in the eye, someone once said, before they changed their morals to match their gang colors.

• Nathan Andelin West Jordan, UT
    May 18, 2017 9:24 a.m.

In response to the editorial, I agree that Representative Chaffetz should declare his intentions sooner rather than later; mostly because of the type of misunderstandings that occur when they are leaked prematurely by close associates.

In regard to his naysayers, I'm confident in his integrity and believe that there are sound reasons for his intended departure from elected office.

In regard to the media attention, that can be a 2-edged sword. But I believe that he has wielded it masterfully, for the benefit of Utah, and the conservative cause in general.

I'm grateful for his service, and I wish him well in whatever endeavor that he may pursue in the future. I'm saddened for our loss.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 18, 2017 9:04 a.m.

RE: "Mr. Chaffetz, are you staying or going"...
    ---
    Don't see why DesNews editorial board is confused about this.

He's made one statement... that he won't seek re-election. Since then he hasn't made a statement to the contrary (that he is staying).

The better question for the DesNews editorial to be asking Chaffetz would be WHEN are you going. That's the question we don't have an answer to yet. Since announcing he won't run again he's never said he's not going. Only question is when.

He doesn't have to leave early if he doesn't want too Des News. He could wait till the end of his term and not contradict his announcement that he will not seek re-election.

Whether he leaves early or at the end of his term... he's leaving.

Don't know why you are asking if he's leaving or not. Has he ever said he changed his mind and is NOT leaving.

Who said he has to be out by June?

• Esquire Springville, UT
    May 18, 2017 8:47 a.m.

I'm betting he will squeeze out as much of the limelight as he can before he goes to Fox....

• tsobserver Mapleton, UT
    May 18, 2017 8:37 a.m.

Whole lot of assuming in this opinion piece. Assumes he's going to Fox. Assumes he's leaving in July. Assumes he cannot investigate if he plans to resign his office. Assumes he owes his constituents a minute by minute explanation of his personal planning for his future.

Seems to me that these assumptions are all perfectly assailable. He's an elected official. He's the slave of his constituents. He has the right to plan for his future and to keep those plans and the process of making those plans absolutely private.

• Warren Kay Holladay, UT
    May 18, 2017 8:09 a.m.

If he is capable, he should serve the entire term. That is what he campaigned to do and what we elected him to do. Doing otherwise, appears self-serving. If he doesn't finish the term, he should turn over any campaign funds or PAC funds to the state to pay for a special election.

• robin138 springfield, VA
    May 18, 2017 6:39 a.m.

I'd like to see him retire down to Four Corners, and quietly finish out his tour on the Mortal Coil with no further media contact. He deserves such a quiet retirement for all the things he has done in elected office.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    May 18, 2017 5:41 a.m.

Anyone seen the figures about what the special election will cost the taxpayers of Utah?

Chaffetz made a commitment. Barring health issues, or something similar, Chaffetz owes it to the voters to fulfill this commitment.

• Res Novae Ashburn, VA
    May 18, 2017 4:24 a.m.

@cougar engineer,

"Why should people who do nothing for their country but complain and criticize those who do, think their comments be valued?"

That's how I feel about frequent comments on public servants, like myself, who are frequently likened to parasites or pigs at the public trough by DN commenters.

Unlike Chaffetz, however, I have no intention of using my service to country to enrich myself.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    May 18, 2017 1:30 a.m.

I like Chaffetz and it gets very tiring and boring to read articles and comments directed at the guy from the vocal Minority on the Left.

He has been a hard working representative of the people in his constituency that lean rather heavily to the right. I actually hate to see him leave because he has unabashedly confronted the Left who have lead this country astray over the past 8 years on both the Foreign and Domestic fronts. But then, I guess that I prefer him to step into the Governorship next Election Cycle than to remain in Congress.

We just have to make sure that his replacement embraces the same basic moral values and Conservative Ideology has Chaffetz has.

• the last to fall Kaysville, UT
    May 17, 2017 11:36 p.m.

@cougar engineer
    You state: " I would expect liberals to spread hate , discontent, uncertainty, and anything else to attack him both personally, and professionally."

I'm not a liberal. Not registered as a "liberal." Have never made any claims of being a liberal.
    One does not need to be a liberal to call out Chaffetz for the self-serving and arrogant politician he is, nor does calling him out as such automatically qualify one as being a liberal. It is possible for a conservative to see Chaffetz for the kind of politician his actions have shown him to be.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2017 11:25 p.m.

@cougar engineer "The comments on the article are lock step and laughable. Chaffetz is a pretty decent fellow, and does not deserve the absolutely mindless criticism. "

My criticism of him is not "mindless." I merely point out his extreme bias in who he chooses to go after - full bore against Clinton, kid gloves for Trump. He has not used his chairmanship in an even handed manner. Period.

• Bob K Davis, CA
    May 17, 2017 10:28 p.m.

Mr Chaffetz has earned any criticism he gets for appearing too ambitious.
    In my opinion, he is currently likely to be jumping on an opportunity to gain more prominence and notoriety, to pave the way for a high paying job at Fox or elsewhere.
    I am surprised more folks did not notice that his elective foot surgery came just as there was controversy in DC to avoid. Now that the situation in DC favors him, the month of forced convalescence went "poof!"
    I am also not in favor of elected representatives threatening to quit without providing clear explanation. I believe they owe the citizens not to cause upset and expense, and not to give up seniority that can help the State.
    One of the comments contains a diatribe against those who have any ill words for Chaffetz. I am not a liberal on a crusade or a dirty fighter; I just have seen continual actions by the Congressman which I found to be signs of ego and self promotion.

• cougar engineer Alpine, UT
    May 17, 2017 9:52 p.m.

You are correct in your statement that Utahns deserve to know what to expect. I am aware only of Mr. Chaffetz statement of not running for re-election. Considering his position on the oversight committee, as a republican, I would expect liberals to spread hate , discontent, uncertainty, and anything else to attack him both personally, and professionally.
    The comments on the article are lock step and laughable. Chaffetz is a pretty decent fellow, and does not deserve the absolutely mindless criticism. Why should people who do nothing for their country but complain and criticize those who do, think their comments be valued? It's hard to understand how any decent people get involved in politics.

• the last to fall Kaysville, UT
    May 17, 2017 9:09 p.m.

“I need to see it sooner rather than later,” Chaffetz tweeted. “I have my subpoena pen ready.”

That statement embodies the overflowing, self-serving hubris that is Jason Chaffetz. All of Utah, all of the nation, will be far better served in the Congress when someone fills the Chairman position he now occupies in the Oversight Committee. Hopefully the United States will get someone in that position who has a more appropriate temperament, a lot more humility, and a lot less grandstanding. Someone who is willing to serve the citizens of the country in the position rather than carry on the Chaffetz-styled congressional model of serving one's own needs. If any such person can be found in Congress.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    May 17, 2017 9:02 p.m.

"All these things require a representative who is actively engaged in pursuing solutions. If Chaffetz does not want to be that representative, then it is time for him to pass the torch to someone who does."

Chaffetz has always been about what will get him in the biggest spotlight. Representing Utahn's has never been a priority. On to FOX News, where he can get camera time and still not look his daughter in the eye.

• Sad Sack Hurricane, UT
    May 17, 2017 8:53 p.m.

Mr. Chaffetz is trying to play both ends against the middle. The sad part is, that it just may pay off for him.

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    May 17, 2017 8:15 p.m.

There is no higher honor than being appointed by your people to be their representative.

Jason Chaffetz is overcome with power and greed. The carrot is dangling in front of him and he is chasing it.

The fine people of Utah deserve a representative.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 17, 2017 8:07 p.m.

There is nothing wrong with Rep. Chaffetz working out the final details of his departure over time. He was thoughtful enough to give plenty of advance warning so all the potential candidates (of both parties) can begin jockeying for position, and the state can figure out when and how to hold the election.

With all the hyped up (and trumped up- no pun intended) allegations being thrown around, that suddenly make Chaffetz's departure more complicated than when he first announced his plans. Kudos to him if he will stretch it out to move any investigations ahead.

Remember, this first came up in context of his potentially serious medical problems with his foot, and after that the offer from Fox News popped up.

We will be well served as long as Jason represents us (and me)! The exact timing of his departure is not that important, as long as it give plenty of time for electing his replacement.

• Utah Girl Chronicles Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 17, 2017 7:11 p.m.

The whole concept of Chaffetz doing what is best for Utah or his constituents is laughable. Chaffetz's sole interest has always been Chafftez.

Fox News will snap their fingers someday and that's when we will need a special election.

Until then, expect half-hearted Chaffetz interest in this Trump thing.

It's a third-rail issue for an up-and-coming conservative media superstar and he really doesn't want to be bothered.

• Boyd in Provo , 00
    May 17, 2017 7:00 p.m.

" The Utah voters deserve to know his timing..." I agree with this article. I would prefer that Congressman Chaffetz stay in his current office. But if he is leaving we need to know immediately. There is as this article states, "too much at stake" to be left wondering.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2017 7:00 p.m.

There is no reasonably proper reason for Chaffetz to leave his office early other than ill health. And at this critical juncture in our country's history he has absolutely no business leaving his post for an opportunity at Fox News. Such is self-promotion at the expense of the public trust.

Well said, DN!