Sports

Mika decides to turn pro, forgoes final 2 years of BYU career

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    May 18, 2017 5:12 p.m.

Before the Combine, Mika was a solid projected 2nd round pick. Due to a poor showing at the Combine his stock took a dive, and probably won't get drafted.
    I don't know what the team dynamics at BYU are, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mika has a bitter taste in his mouth after last year's underachieving debacle.
    Waiting one more year would have given him much more exposure at the college level and made him a lot more money going into the NBA.
    But, alas, maybe going back to BYU just wasn't an option for him as indicated by other posters.
    I don't think that opens up another scholarship, though. Won't that scholarship go to Seljas who returned a year early from his mission?
    As far as filling in the vacancy, Childs will be fine as long as he improves his free-throw shooting and his mid range jumper. I don't have much hope in Dastrup and Worthington.
    Fans are going to see that the loss of Davis and Mika is going to make BYU basketball even more painful to watch.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    May 18, 2017 4:58 p.m.

@Cougs4Life:

I have to agree with you on Shawn Bradley. Shawn's biggest goal was to take care of his family. He accomplished that goal quite successfully. Waiting one more year would have put that goal at risk.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    May 18, 2017 4:41 p.m.

Best of luck to Mika. Go out and make some money!

Tomorrow is promised to no one.

• Central Texan Buda, TX
    May 18, 2017 10:24 a.m.

I hate to see Mika go, but there was nothing he could have gained by returning to BYU, even having a similar great season. He'd just be a year older.

Does anyone think the Cougars would retool their offense so Mika can work on his outside shot, hoping to improve his draft status for next year? Not going to happen.

Wherever he ends up, he will be using these critical years making money while playing.

• CoHawk Littleton, CO
    May 17, 2017 9:42 p.m.

Mika could see no upside for next year's BYU team. His decision to leave was as much about getting away from Haws and Emery as it is going to the NBA. I wish him luck, but I have a feeling that he would have been better off standing up to Rose and the LP2 and demanding changes in the program. Eric certainly needs more seasoning.

• EPoint Roy, UT
    May 17, 2017 9:21 p.m.

One and done is the ruin of college basketball, and Mika gave 2 yrs. each to his Church and to the Y, so let him go, and best wishes. Will the Cougs ever be in a final 4? Maybe, but it will be when it is least expected. Seize the day, and move on...

• golfwt Boise, ID
    May 17, 2017 8:22 p.m.

Wish him the best chasing his dream, not sure he would have left unless there was a good chance of making round 2. However, several moch drafts I did not see his name. Can't see him in the "D" league as there is no money so on to Europe. Several of you have suggested he is leaving now due to a broken team, possible, don't see that getting any better next year. Does he have talent enough to make it in the NBA, hope I am wrong but just don't see him tough enough to battle with the big boys in the NBA.

• Blue 4 Reason Santa Clara, UT
    May 17, 2017 5:40 p.m.

Giving up College camaraderie, unity, is a choice experience never to be replaced in the pro's!

• TouchdownUtes Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2017 1:57 p.m.

I can't help but think that those Cougar fans who want Mika to stay or who are saying that he's making a mistake are just selfish. Mika and his wife are "excited in this next step of their journey" I think the article said......and it feels right for him to do this. Naysaying Cougar fans need to think in terms of what is best for Eric, and not what is best for BYU. The same with Ute fans and Kyle Kuzma.

• Johnny Triumph Lahaina, HI
    May 17, 2017 1:49 p.m.

He was probably worried about having to play Utah again

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    May 17, 2017 1:24 p.m.

ConradGurch - Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 17, 2017 8:04 a.m.

Spokane Ute - It's THAN not then "You could do a lot worse things then making a living playing hoops in Europe"
    --------
    Thank you for the correction. I'm sure everyone struggled with the meaning of my post.

• Live50 Cedar Hills, UT
    May 17, 2017 12:32 p.m.

The NBA is not a career, its a company. Getting paid as a professional is amazing - and Mika is simply starting his career. Just because he may not get hired by one of the NBA's 30 franchises, or get hired and placed in the D-League - does not mean his career is over or failed.

The decision is simply how much time do I have to earn a living and what can I do to develop my talents and value. Most of us plan for 65. The peak for professional athletics is 28. Mika is 22. It's a simple math equation in terms of how early he wants to start contributing to his retirement - measured against that day when he is over the hill. Time is money.

Joe Ingles started his professional career in 2006, not when he signed with the Jazz in 2014. He spent 3 seasons in Australia, 4 in Spain, 1 in Israel - and then in 2014 signed with the Clips, where he was waived after only 25 games. He was picked up off waivers by the Jazz and I don't think there is a Jazz fan would argue his career was a failure, because it took him 11 years to reach his peak, as an invaluable contributor during this year.

Congrats and best wishes to Eric and his family.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    May 17, 2017 12:23 p.m.

Sanefan - Wellsville, UT
    May 17, 2017 10:56 a.m.

I see him being a Tom Chambers kind of player and Chambers had a pretty solid career. I just question the timing. The NBA can be fickle and a bad first year could doom a career. I hope he is ready.
    -----------
    Your comparisons never cease to amaze me. Tom Chambers was the 8th overall pick in the draft, and won the NBA all star game most valuable player award. Mika is pale in comparison to Chambers; as are most players. I will be shocked if Mika even plays in the NBA. He's not even close to past players Fred Roberts, Greg Kite, Danny Vranes or Chambers. Watch and see. I have yet to see an NBA mock draft that has Mika being picked.

• daver Provo, 00
    May 17, 2017 11:15 a.m.

Sad to see him leave - best wishes, Eric!

• Ray E. LITTLETON, CO
    May 17, 2017 11:08 a.m.

The naysayers spouting off here make no sense. Sure, we'd love to have Mika around for another couple of years. But two things come to mind:

1- You can't teach "height". He's got it, and it's a commodity in short supply and high demand. He can get his "seasoning" in the NBA.

2- There are millions of dollars at risk every time an NBA-bound player suits up for a college game. One torn ACL during a college game or practice, and a lucrative pro-career can go up in smoke.

Go for it Eric, and good luck!

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2017 11:06 a.m.

Everybody is missing the point! I don't think Mika himself thinks he's getting drafted. He's a smart kid and his Dad is a VERY smart guy (former Bain Capital partner with Mitt Romney). That's NOT why he is leaving. Why is it so difficult for people to understand this?

The team is splintered. Old friendships are gone. Mike doesn't want to go back and play with LP2. Ask anybody close to the program. Coach Rose has lost the troops to selfishness, backbiting and dissension.

• Whatsnu Sandy, UT
    May 17, 2017 11:08 a.m.

I would have loved to see him play one more season at BYU, but there's absolutely no question that Eric has the talent and physical abilities to make an NBA roster next season.

• cowspackle LOGAN, UT
    May 17, 2017 11:02 a.m.

Just when BYU finally gets a decent big man who can mostly stay out of foul trouble. He'll need some more development to make it in the NBA, but I can't say I blame him for choosing the money. It doesn't matter where he ends up playing he should be able to make a decent living for his family.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    May 17, 2017 10:57 a.m.

The Truth.

I think Mika made the right decision if he truly wants to develop into an NBA player. Unfortunately, any big man who decides to play for BYU under the current offensive system will be faced with the same issues. They just don't develop big men in a guard oriented offense. I think he will have a great career but most likely it'll be overseas. Best of luck to you and your family.

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    May 17, 2017 10:56 a.m.

• BAKC Litchfield Park, AZ
    May 17, 2017 10:28 a.m.

Poor decision--if the player of the year in Fredette couldn't stick in the NBA, why a big man with a poor performance at the combine? One more year of seasoning and physical development would greatly improve his draft stock. I'm guessing he doesn't get drafted, but will have a good career across seas.

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 17, 2017 9:58 a.m.

Can't say as blame either Kuzma or Mika for deciding to move on. Neither of their college programs gave either much reason to stay. Kuzma's talent and potential is obvious. Mika's performance last season was impressive. Good luck and well wishes to both.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    May 17, 2017 9:45 a.m.

Mika is pursuing his dream to make a good life and living for himself and his family, just like he said. Meanwhile, haters and opposers are stuck at a computer writing mean things. I'd take the former any day.

He is the epitome of sports - plays with passion, intensity, and brings it each game. A true sport and man. It was an honor to see him play at BYU and especially to get a W over a #1 team.

• burningblue Provo, UT
    May 17, 2017 9:32 a.m.

Regardless of changes in the D-league, this is a poor decision for Mika. He would have been better positioned to stay in the league by far if he waited one more year to come out. I still wish him the best and hope he'll be successful, but this feels like it was a very short-sighted decision.

• Noodlekaboodle Poplar Grove, UT
    May 17, 2017 9:16 a.m.

@steve24/7
    One thing that is changing for the NBA next season is two way D-League contracts. It adds two extra roster spots for guys to play in the D-League, and a small amount of time with the NBA team without the team giving up one of their standard 15 roster spots. The team they sign with also has the option to call them up full time and sign them to a real NBA roster. I suspect this has something to do with Mika's decision to stay in the draft.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    May 17, 2017 9:15 a.m.

Europe, here we come!

• RBC Cody, WY
    May 17, 2017 9:16 a.m.

With the NBA so focused on youth these days, this doesn't bode well for LDS players, who may have professional talent, but also want to serve a mission.

If you look at Mika, he could probably use another couple years at the college level to refine his game. But if he does, he may be too old for the NBA. Creates an unfortunate conundrum for kids who know the joys that come from serving the church, yet have a dream to play big time basketball.

• Cougs4Life Gilbert, AZ
    May 17, 2017 9:04 a.m.

@Flashback -- Bradley made tens of millions of dollars, was the 2nd overall pick and was on an NBA roster for several years. One more season at BYU wasn't going to get any better of a deal for him.

NBA teams are stocked with primarily 1st round draft picks. Good luck to Eric, but most likely will need to make the choice between an NBA D-league stint and a bigger paycheck overseas. It will be interesting to see what he chooses as an undrafted free agent. Just like Bradley, one more season probably doesn't change that choice for him.

• Speedman Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2017 8:58 a.m.

First of all....Anyone who says Eric is making a big mistake and should stay at BYU - I disagree - and I'm a BYU fan.

Statistically, Eric had a GREAT season last year! The risk of injury and age by going back to college should not be ignored.

As far as finishing his degree? I disagree. No matter where he plays next year, he'll be earning at least $500K per year. Most people I know with 2-3 degrees don't earn that much. And, if they do, it took them 8 years to get there.

Good (tier one) European clubs will pay a guy like Mika about $500K per year, and those players only have to endure a 30-game season. Think about it - even if Mika ends up in Italy or Spain - great life experience, $17K per game, longer off-season. Or, he can go back to school. Who says he can't finish his degree in the off-season?

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    May 17, 2017 8:54 a.m.

Hopefully it works out for him. I guess the worst case scenario is that he plays in a foreign league and makes some money.

• Armystrong Wendell, ID
    May 17, 2017 8:47 a.m.

Sad to see him go. He's a hard worker who carried the Cougars on his back several times this past year. I wish him and his family well.
    Agreed, the Gonzaga coaching staff are probably thrilled to not have to game plan for him anymore.
    It will be interesting to see who steps up for the Cougars next season.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2017 8:46 a.m.

Eric Mika won't play one full season on an NBA roster. He left because his LP2 buddies can't get along with him. Insiders tell me the situation is dire. Shame.

Jealousy and selfishness brought down the ship.

• QuantCommenter salt lake city, UT
    May 17, 2017 8:39 a.m.

@Flashback

Shawn Bradley made almost 70 Million Dollars. He got GREAT advice!

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    May 17, 2017 8:23 a.m.

He needed one more year. He got bad advice, just like Sean Bradley.

• TouchdownUtes Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2017 8:08 a.m.

Eric Mika was my favorite college player last season....and I'm NOT a BYU fan. But I know talent when I see it. He brought it every game and that I could appreciate. Here's one Ute fan wishing him all the best in his pro career.

• ConradGurch Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 17, 2017 8:04 a.m.

• goosehuntr Tooele, UT
    May 17, 2017 7:57 a.m.

Wow... bummed. But, as for Mika... he is a diamond in the rough. ( very rough) But when the outside shot becomes part of his game he has a chance.

He has the right work ethic to get as much out of his abilities as possible. He actually reminds me of Gordon Heyward, except that Gordon had a better outside shot. No one was certain about that Jazz pick, but wow has he become great. I hope the same for Mika... But he better arm himself with a great outside shot to make it in the NBA. I like him as a defender.

• top of the world ,
    May 17, 2017 7:51 a.m.

To: 'There You Go Again'...great post. Man, I like your style. It is refreshing to read a comment from someone who can see the value in a life on the move, someone reaching for the dream. I have no idea whether or not Mika can make it all happen, but I do know that a great forward who played for the Jazz was the same height. A guy we know as Malone. Karl did it with hustle and work ethic, two things that Mika has in abundance. I think he will make it. As with all of the players who move on, best of success. I believe you will open some eyes when you get a team around you.

• Raider Fan Centerville, UT
    May 17, 2017 7:32 a.m.

I coached college basketball at a small school for a few years and got to know some of the local Division I players. I know a lot of them who made a ton of money overseas. The worst case scenario for Kuzma and Mika is that they get paid a lot of money to play next year. I love college basketball, and it would be great if these guys stayed, but they have a relatively short window to make money playing basketball. If they make the NBA, great. If not, they will make a living overseas. If you have ever been around college basketball, you know it's like a job. I cant blame them for wanting a paycheck.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    May 17, 2017 7:17 a.m.

His advisor must have been BlueCoug who guaranteed he would be a lottery pick because of the way he played against Gonzaga.

It just goes to show, you need to be careful of who you take advice from. Good luck Mr. Mika. You could do a lot worse things then making a living playing hoops in Europe.

• Eastern CO Coug Elizabeth, CO
    May 17, 2017 7:12 a.m.

Good for Mika. I think this will really give Childs a chance to flourish. In my opinion, he has the most upside on the team, and felt that he could not show his stuff as much with Mika there for obvious reasons. Excited to see what Childs can do given the chance now. Childs shot a good percentage I believe and can jump out of the gym.

• Lone Peak Mission San Tan Valley, AZ
    May 17, 2017 7:12 a.m.

Good move.

• goforit Provo, UT
    May 17, 2017 7:05 a.m.

Mika will be highly paid over seas. A good decision if he wants to make money. NBA I think is a long shot. Maybe the Jazz pick him with a second round pick to give the local guy a shot.

If he is better than Bolomboy he could stick, for a couple of years, but his future is over seas like Hawes, Jimmer, Plaisted, Hansen and the many other BYU players who just weren't quite good enough to make it big in the NBA.

He could play NBA maybe, but if he wants big money he will need to go elsewhere. Good luck to him on his endeavors. Byu will now have a struggle making the NIT.

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2017 7:01 a.m.

I am not a fan of college players being allowed to leave early and play in the NBA but since my idea is not reality it doesn't matter. That said, I hope Eric does well in the NBA and I think he will. He is a good young man and is trying to look out for his family and magnify the obvious talents he's blessed with. Good luck Eric, and oh good luck BYU, your going to need it now!

Go Cougs!

• Jefferson, Thomas Bluffdale, UT
    May 17, 2017 6:44 a.m.

Disappointed but not real surprised. If your life has been basketball then this opportunity is almost always too much to postpone. I wish him well

• Jackie Treehorn St George, UT
    May 17, 2017 6:44 a.m.

poy and fanin, the problem with comparing him to all the people you mentioned is that none of them were as old as he is when they were making a decision. The NBA drafts as much on potential development as they do on immediate impact. If they feel he's as physically developed as he's going to get, there is almost zero possibility of his stock rising further from playing another year.

And poy, regarding school, he doesn't have to be on an athletic scholarship to continue his degree, a lot of athletes finish their degrees while playing pro ball, it's not a mutually exclusive deal. Even Cardale "I Ain't Come Here To Play School" Jones just graduated from Ohio State this year after playing his rookie season in the NFL.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    May 17, 2017 6:36 a.m.

Given his age, it was smart for Mika to take the money and go sit on the pine. Yes, the NBA stint will not be long or notable, I would guess, but what better way to make big money for a while.

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    May 17, 2017 6:13 a.m.

There is nothing I have heard that makes me think this is a good idea. Still, we all get to choose our own path through life. Good Luck!

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    May 17, 2017 5:51 a.m.

Smart move by a bright guy. Mika will have a nice career.

• QuantCommenter salt lake city, UT
    May 17, 2017 5:13 a.m.

Smart move Mika. Age is becoming increasingly important in prospect analytics. The newest models apply growth factors to each prospect and those growth factors receive penalties as players get older.

The SI Mock Draft has the top 14 spots going to Freshmen or 18 year old foreign players. Bleacher Report looks the same through the first 11 picks (the first player around Mika's age is drafted at #27).

Mika is not projected in the first 2 rounds this year and that is unlikely to change in 2018 (unless he can develop a consistent outside shot from thin air).

NCAA player of the year, Frank Mason III is projected at #44. Another year in college would just be another year without pay for Mika. I wish him luck and hope he can make a roster.

• Adirondack Cougar Loon Lake, NY
    May 17, 2017 4:00 a.m.

As much as I hate to see Mika go, I think it is in the best interest for the Y, because obviously his heart wasn't with the Cougars any longer. Don't know why..... maybe age. He might have to start on a forgien team or the D-league, but I think he will eventually get to the NBA.
    Good luck to Mika and thanks for the memories.
    Also, good luck to BYU, hope they find one more good scholarship player to take his spot.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 17, 2017 12:38 a.m.

Jello is Good
    April 26, 2017 1:11 p.m.

I said:
    "There are a lot of rumors that Mika won't be back regardless of where he sees himself getting selected in the draft (or if he has to go the free agent route). We'll see if that ends up being true or not..."

Jello said:
    "When you say things like this it calls into question the legitimacy of any other statements you may make.

Hey Jello, suggestion for you...think twice next time you find yourself doubting me.

• estudiante Herriman, UT
    May 17, 2017 12:22 a.m.

I wish him the best, but this seems like a bad idea. Would the Jazz take him at 55? Is he better than Withey or Bolomboy? Then again, he can probably make a good living overseas, and BYU isn't going anywhere if he wants to finish his education.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 16, 2017 11:41 p.m.

Not sure if he'll make the NBA. But there's always Europe.... and China.

Good luck!

• SIMPLICITY Denver, CO
    May 16, 2017 11:29 p.m.

If he can consistently hit the outside shot he has a chance. However, he is likely a 2nd round draft pick or none at all. Poor decision unless he plans on playing overseas, which works out well for many pros.

• steve24/7 Sandy, UT
    May 16, 2017 11:05 p.m.

Well, so much for the "Lone Peak Three" taking us to the Sweet 16 and beyond. Good luck Eric, you're gonna need it.

There are 30 NBA teams with 15 players on each roster. That's a total of only 450 player jobs in the entire country. Your position would most likely be power forward or maybe small forward. The number of forwards on a team range from 5 to 7 players.

The number of power forwards per team is about 3. So you'll be trying to land one of about 90 jobs in the entire country. And most of those slots are already filled so there are way fewer than 90 job openings for you.

If every team wanted to replace one of its forwards there would be 30 possible job openings for you. There are going to be a lot more than 30 guys trying to get one of those spots. So good luck to you. I hope you make it and have a great NBA career. We'll miss you at BYU.

• Silver Stingray St George, UT
    May 16, 2017 10:52 p.m.

Jimmer redux.

• BYU Sports Nut Heber City, UT
    May 16, 2017 10:41 p.m.

Congratulations to Mr. MIka. I think you will make a great pro and feed your family playing round ball. Thanks for your time at BYU.

• sky2k1 Provo, UT
    May 16, 2017 10:20 p.m.

As a BYU fan, I am curious if he ends up being Haws Roommate in Poland, or Jimmer's roommate in China. Bad decision. I will be shocked if he gets drafted. Then again, Bolomboy got drafted, so I suppose you never really know.

• james d. morrison Sandy, UT
    May 16, 2017 10:11 p.m.

It's a mistake.

• CougFaninTX Spring, TX
    May 16, 2017 10:10 p.m.

Hopefully teams are telling him something different than broadcasters are telling us. Broadcasters are saying he's not a first round pick, maybe second round.

During the combine, Roy Williams (NC coach) said he encourages underclassmen who will be picked in the upper half of the first round to take the NBA paycheck. He encourages late first rounders or later to stay another year.

Does Mika have potential to be a solid NBA player? Sure. But my guess is that he'll have an experience like Trent Plaisted. He'll probably be a star across the pond.

Now back to BYU, he is leaving a big whole to fill in the middle. I hope BYU uses the scholarship to get a big man. I don't have a lot of confidence in any of the current players. I have hope for Dastrup, and Andrus if he can add some weight. Shaw has some skills, but is more of a reliever at the 4 spot. Never been impressed with Worthington. Can Isaac Neilsen transfer back? Maybe Nate Austin has a couple more years of eligibility, since he only played for what felt like eight years?

• TaxpayerinUtah Utah, UT
    May 16, 2017 9:34 p.m.

I don't think that Eric is very realistic as the combine has not been a good experience for him. I wish him the best, but don't see him getting drafted very high.

• gchris rock springs, wy
    May 16, 2017 9:30 p.m.

@kimmy,cjd1 and hobo

Glad you're still interested in BYU, your favorite team. Eric Mika has provided you with some very special memories and will, no doubt, be your favorite NBA player.

• Mowgli54 Santa Rosa, CA
    May 16, 2017 9:06 p.m.

Dang.

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    May 16, 2017 9:07 p.m.

This will be an interesting saga to observe. I really thought he would come back for one more year. I hope he's ready as he didn't seem to get a lot of love from the combine. But you can't blame a guy for chasing his dream. I hope he catches it.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    May 16, 2017 9:03 p.m.

I hope he knows what he is doing, because from this angle it looks like a huge mistake.

If he were my son (not knowing what NBA teams are telling him) I'd say that he should use Basketball as a tool for getting all "degreed up" and if a solid break happens for him in Basketball along the way, then jump on it... But not for a second round pick or an assignment to the "D" League, or a career on the hardwood in Europe (even if he and his wife are fluent in Italian)... He's a sprained ankle or a torn ligament away from being unemployed and without a degree.

Look at Peyton Manning and Tim Duncan... Both were solid athletes in college with a guaranteed future in the Pros and both decided to finish out their eligibility in college before moving on. In fact, I think that it's safe to say that both had more on the line that Eric... I don't argue that Eric isn't talented, he is, but he would seem to be more valuable to himself, his family, and a future Pro Team if he played at least one more year at the college level and maybe even finish out his eligibility.

But then maybe that's why he's actually living it and I'm in my 60's writing posts on DN.

• There You Go Again St George, UT
    May 16, 2017 8:55 p.m.

I am a UTAH Fan.

There is no question about that fact.

I am also a fan of Utah High School Sports.

I am excited when any High School player from UTAH has a chance to go to the next level.

I am an Eric Mika fan.

Why?

I love his grit.

I love his hustle.

If you took the time to watch the Combine you saw both of those skills on display.

I love his offensive/defensive skills.

He needs to get better.

With his work ethic, he will.

Eric Mika will have a long NBA career.

Good luck to Mika as he goes forward with his life.

Go UTES!

• KimmyP Granstville, UT
    May 16, 2017 8:54 p.m.

How can Mika give up the BYU experience so soon?

Aren't the Cougs slated to get to the final four this year?

• BYUFan12 Meridian, ID
    May 16, 2017 8:45 p.m.

Best of luck to Eric!! Loved watching him play in a BYU uniform, now hoping I can continue to watch him play for another Utah team!!

• HoboA1 Saratoga Springs, UT
    May 16, 2017 8:43 p.m.

Great job Mika! You'll be playing in Europe in no time!

• cjd1 Draper, UT
    May 16, 2017 8:42 p.m.

Mika = Italy. Kuzma = NBA.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    May 16, 2017 8:37 p.m.

I have no doubt Mika will be fine in the NBA, but I am disappointed that he didn't come back for one more year. I think his age may have had something to do with his decision, but having a family to support probably had something to do with it also. I think he could have had another good year, and been drafted higher next year, but hey, Gonzaga is happy to see him go.

• Common-Tator Saint Paul, MN
    May 16, 2017 8:34 p.m.

Good for Eric ... perhaps not great for next year's BYU team, but always good for the future when an alum makes it good. Here's to a hopeful bright future for Eric and the Cougs.