Sports

Utes positions breakdown — QB: From projected starter Williams to those battling to back him up

• Alaskan Ute Benton, MO
    May 23, 2017 10:53 a.m.

My issue with Williams is his accuracy. Williams missed open receivers nearly every game, not that any QB is perfect, but I didn't feel he was that accurate.

In the spirit of honesty, living out-of-state, I have limited ability to evaluate the other QB's, so I can't really judge who should be the starting QB.

Just win baby!

• Jackie Treehorn St George, UT
    May 18, 2017 9:37 a.m.

Simplicity, I think it gets lost on a lot of people that Williams reportedly injured his knee early in the season so he was very hamstrung in the run game. This is not to excuse him completely, but having a physical limitation can take a lot of the instincts away (especially from an athletic, dual-threat type QB) and put a lot more thought into playing the position. The new offense is also supposed to be designed to be a lot more quick read progression rather than full coverage reads, which was usually where Williams made his mistakes.

• SIMPLICITY Denver, CO
    May 17, 2017 2:07 p.m.

Coach Taylor needs to strongly consider Huntley or Bateman. Last year Williams displayed poor decision making when to run or pass. Countless times he sat in the pocket for way way too long, resulting in sacks and fumbles. Given this happens to all QB's sometimes, but Williams was way too hesitant to make decisions and plays.

• TouchdownUtes Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2017 1:45 p.m.

Having attended the Spring Game, I think the Utes are in good hands. I was especially impressed with Cooper Bateman. Nice to know we have good options.

Go Utes!

• top of the world ,
    May 17, 2017 1:08 p.m.

Whoever gets the nod will be the right guy. Utah will be terrific, again.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 17, 2017 11:33 a.m.

Williams will be the starter.

The question is will KW get out of the way and let the new OC run the offense? Or will Williams continue to be a "game manager" and rely on our defense to win?

• water rocket Magna, UT
    May 17, 2017 11:16 a.m.

I am really excited for this year's addition of football. Coach Taylor's offense will be fun to watch. With several good QB's to choose between, it should be interesting. I love football in Utah, and with both BYU and Utah looking to field good teams, I can't wait.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    May 17, 2017 11:15 a.m.

I'm excited to see Taylor's offense in full gear here. Utah has always had a tough defense, but has lacked consistency on offense. I hope that Taylor will be here for a long time. Changing OC's virtually every year has been painful, and without some great runners, liker Booker, the offense would have been disastrous. I am also happy to see some real talent at the QB spot. This year is going to be a fun year for the Utes.