Utah

Spot the Tot: Family promotes safety after losing young daughter

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    May 16, 2017 3:52 p.m.

this is a nightmare that is hard to imagine -- this poor family and especially the dad who backed the vehicle. Accidents happen -- somehow after all you can do.

• Go2 Utah, UT
    May 16, 2017 2:56 p.m.

This family is making the best of a tragedy by supporting this program. What happened to them could happen to any of us - even a neighbor's child could wander behind a car.

I'm honestly surprised that we don't have more of this in Utah - while this family was vigilant, too many families aren't.

• MacD slc, UT
    May 16, 2017 1:46 p.m.

Backing into your parking space may have only marginal value since you are still backing up with less visibility than driving forward.
    One tactic I have used is finding a parking space that you can drive through to the corresponding parking space on the next aisle of parking and then when you leave you now can drive forward out of the space without ever having to back up. You may have to park further out in the parking lot to find two adjacent empty parking spaces but I need the steps anyway.
    You will not only be putting fewer lives at risk but you will be removing yourself from the list of over 500,000 people per year involved in a backing up accident !

• Western Rover Herriman, UT
    May 16, 2017 10:10 a.m.

@Laura: I cruise rather slowly through parking lots, but I no longer stop when I see white reverse lights, only if I see the car actually moving. Why? Many cars these days switch on the reverse lights when the driver unlocks the car, before they even get behind the wheel. Thus reverse lights have now become almost useless as an indicator to other drivers.

• Western Rover Herriman, UT
    May 16, 2017 10:10 a.m.

@Laura: I second your advice about backing into a space when arriving. This applies especially when arriving home and all your children are in the car with you (or at school, or asleep) so you know they're not loose. Then you're ready to drive away at a time when your children may be running around loose but you won't have to back up.

• Bayareaman Orinda, CA
    May 16, 2017 9:27 a.m.

The rule for LDS missionaries backing up is tedious, but a great idea for couples with young children. One missionary is required to stand at an angle behind the vehicle while the other missionary backs up. It could work in the same fashion for two parents or two adults with children in the proximity. One adult watches from behind while the other backs the vehicle.

• Laura Bilington Maple Valley, WA
    May 16, 2017 8:11 a.m.

One more suggestion: Back into your driveway and back into your parking space. You can get a full view of the area before you put the car into reverse. It takes no more time and no more effort than it takes to back out later.

Backing out of an angled parking spot in a busy supermarket lot is a formula for a disaster. No matter how well you scout out the area before you start backing out, oblivious people can (and do) cruise those lots at full speed without even looking for those white back up lights.

• AGF Taylorsville, UT
    May 16, 2017 7:13 a.m.

Typical journalism math:

"As a result, Strong noted, nearly 600 children in the U.S. died in the last five years due to backover injuries.
    "In Utah, a backover injury happens once every seven days," she said."

At one injury per week we have 52 per year and 260 in the last 5 years. Utah has nearly 1% of US population so we would estimate over 26,000 injuries in the nation over 5 years, which means about 1 in 40 back over accidents were lethal. I don't believe it. --AGF

• silligirl50 San Antonio, TX
    May 16, 2017 6:06 a.m.

I'm deeply sorry for their loss. I'm proud of the way they're making a difference!!!
    My sincere condolences to this beautiful family💘
    Irma,
    San Antonio, TX⚘

• Miss Piggie Springville, UT
    May 15, 2017 11:07 p.m.

Tragic. I personally know of two instances of backing over a child (not mine). One survived and one did not make it. Because of this I walk around my vehicle before I back up to make sure no one is behind it... and that there are no bikes, trikes, or toys there either.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    May 15, 2017 8:04 p.m.

Love the name: Spot the tot.
    An array of infrared sensors strategically placed at the rear of the car could also "Spot the Tot" and pets.

One backover injury every seven days is way too much. Use the same technology they use on burglar alarms to detect motion or heat and we could knock those accidents way down. Tie it into the vehicles computer and force the driver to override an alarm and we might be onto something.

• Jimbo Low PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    May 15, 2017 7:08 p.m.

I will never, ever, criticize a family that loses a child in a tragic accident such as this one. There are so many things that could happen....I applaud their efforts to raise awareness.

• FelisConcolor Layton, UT
    May 15, 2017 6:12 p.m.

12 years ago, I almost backed up my van over my three-year old daughter. Luckily I saw her in the mirror just before I put the car in gear.

I still have nightmares about it, even though nothing happened. I can't imagine what they would be like if I had hurt or killed her.

Poor family.