In our opinion: Utahns should put politics aside and thank Chaffetz for his service

• KarenLaRae2 Taylorsville, UT
    April 24, 2017 10:32 a.m.

I respect the right of those who approve of Chaffetz thanking him for his service. That doesn't mean that I need to thank Jason "party before country" Chaffetz for a job that I feel has been totally partisan and headline grabbing above doing what was actually solving the countries problems. Those who appreciate what he has done can thank you ... those of us who do not have the right to be thrilled he's leaving and hope the Republican that replaces him will listen to all his constituents, including moderate Republicans and even Democrats in his/her district.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    April 22, 2017 12:09 p.m.

Maybe if he was more like Bob Bennett, someone I agreed with on very little but someone who was always sincerely interested in trying to make things better and getting things done.

• Daedalus, Stephen ARVADA, CO
    April 22, 2017 9:45 a.m.

Maybe we can thank Rep. Chaffetz for his self-sacrifice and willingness to lighten the load of others?

He is the kind of guy who would voluntarily thank himself for the great job he has done, if the rest of us were unable or unwilling to do so.

• Daedalus, Stephen ARVADA, CO
    April 22, 2017 9:30 a.m.

Ever feel obliged to send someone a greeting card, but after looking at 20+ cards and all the possible expressions of the words you "should" be feeling and saying, you walk out of the store empty-handed?

Seems similar to the struggle commenters are having with this sadly earnest request from DN.

Even the comments thanking Chaffetz are like the strategically vague cards in the rack, professionally written to say something to someone when there is nothing really left to say.

But can't we all find something (anything?) to thank Rep. Chaffetz for?

For example...

"I appreciate Rep. Chaffetz's thoughtfulness in not consuming all of the air on the planet."

"I am grateful for the dedication and tenacity Rep. Chaffetz showed over the years in his thorough application of hair product before leaving the house or appearing on my teevee."

"Thanks for the 1000s of high-paying jobs Rep. Chaffetz created in the past 4 months alone in the professional protester industries."

"Thank you Rep. Chaffetz for being someone else's Congressman!"

See?

Now, that wasn't that hard, was it?

• Lew Elton Jeppson Salt Lake City, UT
    April 22, 2017 12:13 a.m.

"Utahns should put politics aside and thank Chaffetz for his service"

OK, I'll give it a try. Thanks ever so much Congressman Chaffetz for not investigating connections between the Trump campaign and the Russian government. Clearly, what we don't know can't hurt us, right?

• Kings Court Alpine, UT
    April 21, 2017 6:52 p.m.

I still tip for bad service at restaurants because they only make $2.13 an hour, but I'm not about to give Chaffetz his due for what I consider bad service in representing Utah, especially when he makes $174,000 per year including a cadillac health insurance plan and a generous pension.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    April 21, 2017 3:01 p.m.

"Utahns should put politics aside and thank Chaffetz for his service"

By all means!

Chaffetz has done his best to protect our nation's Russian enemies (who helped Trump become President) and the traitors in the Trump administration.

And Utah is without a doubt a pro-Trump state, isn't it?

Utah SHOULD thank Chaffetz for his service. He has helped weaken our federal government. He has helped make a mockery out of our national legislative body. He has helped garner ridicule and disrespect for our nation in the eyes of the world.

He has helped Vladimir Putin and the enemies of our nation become very happy people.

Jason Chaffetz is a PARAGON of Utah virtue!

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    April 21, 2017 2:42 p.m.

====

In MY opinion: Jason Chaffetz should put politics aside and thank Utahns for using them for his own self-service.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    April 21, 2017 2:26 p.m.

@2bits "He's done more with his 50 years of life than I have with mine. I suspect the same could be said about most Democrat detractors here today or those who just sit in an auditorium and shout at him and hold up their little signs about him wanting to take their healthcare away."

Hold up their little signs about his wanting to take their healthcare away? They are right, are they not? Healthcare is life and death. We have every right to decry this. We have every obligation to decry this. I hope Chaffetz disappears from public life, but this is probably too much to hope for.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 21, 2017 2:17 p.m.

@Trout,
    RE: "same veracity"...
    ---
    Are you pretending Democrats investigate Republicans with " same veracity" as fellow Democrats?

Have you criticized a Democrat for not using "same veracity"? Why not?

Do you realize Democrats have drawn up articles of impeachment for every Republican President in my lifetime? And zero times for Democrat Presidents?

Is that same veracity?

Remember when Bush took office? And Democrats promised to tie up Congress in investigations his whole 4 years so nothing on his agenda could get done? Did they do that when Obama took office? Same veracity?

Do you remember Democrats on oversight committee who are all over Trump today being all over Clinton last year? I don't.

Don't know why you are so shocked when a Republican does the same thing Democrats do all the time. This is what happens in Washington. Republicans are no different than Democrats. They are politicians.

Think Harry Reid uses same veracity for Republicans and Democrats?

Think Nancy Pelosi uses same veracity for Republicans and Democrats?

Hint... they don't.

Have you ever complained about them?

• Utah Girl Chronicles Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 21, 2017 2:01 p.m.

@2bits

"...He's done more with his 50 years of life than I have with mine."

--- Being a place kicker and a politician. So much done!!!"

Anyone can kick a ball. It's almost as easy as breathing.

Remembering back to when Sarah Palin quit, the most honest GOP politicians admitted at that time that she probably destroyed her future political aspirations.

The most fervently partisan politicians said Palin made a great decision and that they believed Palin would be our next President.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    April 21, 2017 1:50 p.m.

Congressman Chaffetz managed to shed NO LIGHT on the Russian involvement in the 2016 elections, even though he has the power to issue subpoenas just with his chairmanship of Oversight. This is such a major failing, that I cannot agree with your approval of him.

• UtahTroutStalker Draper, UT
    April 21, 2017 1:27 p.m.

He is still a US Senator and Chairman of a committee.

If I should thank him for him service then I would guess he should investigate Trump with the same veracity he investigated HRC.

Nope, sorry.

• Barb Wire USA, UT
    April 21, 2017 1:10 p.m.

Nope...no thanks are coming to Mr. Chaffetz. He has done nothing to help his constituents. He has wasted millions of tax payer dollars on Hillary Clinton investigations that resulted in not even a parking ticket. He was embarrassed by a much smarter woman from Planned Parenthood in another investigation. We seen his flip flopping in regards to the very less than angelic man occupying the White House. No thanks are coming.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    April 21, 2017 1:02 p.m.

@2 bits;

"...He's done more with his 50 years of life than I have with mine."

--- Being a place kicker and a politician. So much done!!! /s

Did you graduate from college? Go on a mission or other service? Provide for a family? Save for retirement? Build a career?

Every one of those accomplishments is an achievement worth something. To think that Jason "did more" than you did simply because he is semi-famous for playing on a college football team and being a politician is ludicrous.

• Ralph Salt Lake City, UT
    April 21, 2017 12:52 p.m.

Republicans don't care what Chaffetz stands for. All they care about was that he was a bludgeon against the Democrats. To the Republicans, the enemy are the politically liberal. They will elect the most depraved person in the USA to be their president because he said horrible things about Democrats, liberals, and non-WASPs.

Republicans would have freely elected the *any* of the worst humans in the history of the planet if the candidate called Hillary corrupt and promised to persecute Democrats.

There is nobody too horrible for Republicans, as long as they aren't a Democrat or liberal.

Republicans care so much about the USA. not.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 21, 2017 12:01 p.m.

RE: "Utahns should put politics aside and thank Chaffetz for his service"...
    ---
    Maybe that's asking too much for Esquire, Impartial, and others. But you could at least show some respect.

You keep saying he's done nothing. Well... compared to what/whom? Probably accomplished more in his 50 years than you in your life/career.

So accomplished nothing compared to who... You?

You've been around 50 years. What have you done?

How many played College Football? that's a big accomplishment not many of us have achieved.

How many were elected and served in Congress? That's a pretty small group of Utahns. I doubt any of you accomplished that.

It seems almost all this rancor is because he asked to too many questions about some things Hillary Clinton did. That's not his whole life.

He's accomplished more and served more than I have and he's younger than me.

I can thank him for his service.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    April 21, 2017 11:39 a.m.

====

Sure,
    but NOT until after --

The Deseret News and other Utahns should put politics aside and thank Pres. Obama for his service.

• Utah Valley Guy Springville, UT
    April 21, 2017 11:02 a.m.

I was elected Precinct Chair in my precinct (accidentally, I might add) here in Springville not long after Jason won his seat for the first time - and I can say with assurance that his constituents love him for his straightforward courage in standing up to the perverse values in Washington DC.

But just like Jason, I've had enough. Even though I've learned through my service that most Utah politicians are good, decent, down-to-earth people (or they wouldn't survive the caucus system), but there is always the negative, hateful chorus of toxic haters who treat everyone who disagrees with them with spite and disdain.

Reading all of the comments just leaves me shaking my head at the hypocrisy of those who rail on Chaffetz for being a partisan divider and negative influence while they themselves are being so negative and partisan that they can't even imagine that maybe Chaffetz might be one of those rare politicians who is real, authentic, and honest.

I for one am proud that he's been my representative.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    April 21, 2017 10:38 a.m.

Thanks? Not a chance. Chaffetz as done nothing good for anyone. Good riddance, Jason, and don't let the door hit you on the butt on the way out.

• Kim W Layton, UT
    April 21, 2017 10:18 a.m.

I will thank Jason for leaving before he does more harm to our country. That is all!

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    April 21, 2017 9:59 a.m.

In all seriousness, we should thank Chaffetz for what service? What has he accomplished for Utah?

He has spent the last 8 years persecuting Obama and Hillary Clinton with no result except to get national attention and to make himself look mean and hyperpartisan (and the rest of Utah by association). Now that the Republicans are in charge, he would actually have to work on solving problems instead of pretending to be Joe McCarthy.

And that would be boring for Jason.

• Utah Girl Chronicles Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 21, 2017 9:50 a.m.

That was a sweet "thank you" bouquet DN. But without naming even one Chaffetz policy achievement?

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    April 21, 2017 9:22 a.m.

Put politics aside? Chaffetz built a career persecuting Hillary. Where was this sentiment for Hillary? She served as First Lady of Arkansas for 12 years. She served 8 years as First Lady of the US, then 8 years as Senator, then 4 years as Secretary of State. I missed the OpEd promoting bipartisanship and thanks for Hillary. Oh, that's right- she worked to bring America together, not divide it .

• Boyd in Provo , 00
    April 21, 2017 9:14 a.m.

The fact remains Jason that you worked hard to get along with the Democrats in Congress. Ask Congressman Cummings what he feels about your efforts and mostly, it is positive. Thank you for representing Utah with dignity and grace.

• Vin Harrisville, UT
    April 21, 2017 9:13 a.m.

Thank Chaffetz? For what?

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    April 21, 2017 9:00 a.m.

It's not easy to put politics aside when that's something Chaffetz never did.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    April 21, 2017 8:57 a.m.

This article is so out of touch with reality. The truth is that hounding into congress is big business now. People like Chaffitz and Orin Hatch are enriching themselves and cashing in, and Democrats are no different.

So no, I'm not going to thank perhaps the most dishonest, self serving Utah Politician of my lifetime, just because he was a politician.

Chaffitz will be remembered as a witch hunter.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    April 21, 2017 8:37 a.m.

While I think Chaffetz is talented and had great potential to be a great leader, he frittered it away on craven, hypocritical work of politicizing serious oversight responsibilities. If he was fair-handed like the ranking member from Maryland, he would have been respected. He made a mockery of the idea of Congressional investigation and oversight. I thought no one could be worse than Issa, but Chaffetz proved me wrong. I'm sorry, I cannot thank Chaffetz for his service. His was a shameful performance, particularly in the past year. He burned his bridges in Washington and on the national scene. He became a symbol of the absolute worst about Congress in our current era. I can name 4 or 5 members of the House and Senate who have done inestimable harm to our faith in government, and Chaffetz is on that list. He blew an opportunity to be a truly great leader - he has the skills. What a shame.

• TheJester American Fork, UT
    April 21, 2017 8:13 a.m.

I would like to thank Mr. Chaffetz for his service, insomuch as he was serving the citizens of Utah and not his own ambitions.

It is admirable to turn the other cheek, but it gets more difficult when that cheek gets slapped over and over. Mr. Chaffetz is no diplomat. He found evil in everything President Obama or the Democratic party did. There was little effort made to compromise or even attempt to sympathetically understand the ideals that drive those on the other side of the political spectrum. Instead, Mr. Chaffetz would run onto Fox News (almost daily) to besmirch and slander those with whom he politically disagreed. It is no wonder that there is a vocal minority in Utah that feels he brought out the worst in politics.

My guess is that he has already signed a lucrative contract with Fox News to become a host or contributor. I would also be willing to bet Mr. Chaffetz does take a real run at the governorship in 2020. Such is his hubris.

So, thank you Mr. Chaffetz. I am sure that you will take care of yourself. You always do.

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    April 21, 2017 8:06 a.m.

We should put politics aside?

No we shouldn't. When Chaffetz was one of the main stays in the political turmoil of the last 6 years (shutting down the government, 50 repeals of the ACA, heading the debacles he called investigations into Planned Parenthood, and Benghazi), we are not going to just forget and walk away.

Chaffetz has personal responsibility for much of the rancor in America today. You all conveniently forget now that Chaffetz personally led much of the blocking of everything Obama. Obama a popular President elected twice, and he personally led the character assassination of Hilary Clinton who won the popular vote by over 3 million. Point being there likely is a majority of Americans that highly disapprove of Chaffetz and his politics.

In fact to say disapprove is to greatly understate the feelings.

• nicholdraper West Jordan, UT
    April 21, 2017 7:37 a.m.

I disagree. I think Jason Chaffetz is great. But he has been terrible for Democrats. The boos he earned as much as the applause. You never want to be cheered by horrible people and Jason Chaffetz will never be cheered by them.