Poll: Evan McMullin beats Sen. Orrin Hatch in head-to-head matchup

• Mike M Roy, UT
    April 21, 2017 5:26 p.m.

As someone with moderate views, if it came down to it I would be willing to vote for almost anyone who would run against Hatch in a primary, and that especially includes voting for Evan McMullin. Sen. Hatch should keep his word and not seek reelection, in my opinion he should have retired years ago. As it is now, Senator Hatch has become to beholden to the pharmaceutical, and supplement industries, and other special interests. He no longer represents my views!

• sehruh Orem, UT
    April 21, 2017 3:46 p.m.

Hatch checked out, both morally and emotionally, years ago. We have to get rid of him and get someone who will actually do what he/she promises to do and stand up for what is right instead of adopting the "Washington way" of doing things.

Evan McMullin is a principled man, and his experience both in the CIA and the financial sector give him a unique perspective into many of the major issues facing our country. I would be delighted to see him run against Hatch in the Republican primary. I'd happily take any moral, conservative over Hatch, but I think Evan is a good choice. I hope he runs.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    April 21, 2017 12:57 p.m.

HA!! McMuffin in the senate -- I don't think so. What is it with the Deseret News and this guy? Is his uncle VP or something? Evan is like this Deseret News favorite son and everything he thinks or says is printed and he always seems to be atop some DNews poll. I remember back in October where the DNews was making it sound like Trump had no chance in Utah and everyone was voting for Evan. Fake news.

• DonO Draper, UT
    April 21, 2017 8:25 a.m.

"I don’t know which statement of Orrin Hatch's I believe. Which one is true? I don’t know," Chaffetz said.

That comment speaks volumes about Orrin Hatch. If he's dishonest about not seeking re-election he'll be dishonest about anything he sees as being in his best interest.

• libs think what??? Salt Lake City, UT
    April 20, 2017 9:11 p.m.

lds? lib

hilary outspent trump by about $600,000,000. that may have had something to do with vote totals.

of course, without the people's republic of california, she would have lost the popular vote, too.

so glad the founders devised a system that prevents our election from being bought and prevents an over-sized bastion of foolishness from having undue influence on the election.

• FelisConcolor Layton, UT
    April 20, 2017 7:10 p.m.

Lol, Evan McMullin is not going to beat Orrin Hatch.

McMullin's 33% support is his ceiling. Hatch's 29% support is his floor. Hatch would win practically all the undecideds in this hypothetical race unless he did something stupid.

McMullin was a one-trick pony who was only relevant in 2016.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    April 20, 2017 5:42 p.m.

Johnny Triumph - Lahaina, HI
    April 20, 2017 2:54 p.m.

Amusing we're back to polls...have we all forgotten how badly polls predicted the Presidential Race only months ago?

=======

The polls weren't entirely wrong.

Hillary Clinton BEAT Donald Trump by 3-5 Million votes.

It was the projected Elector College that gave the Presidency to Trump, and even that was only by 77,000 votes over 3 separate States.

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    April 20, 2017 4:07 p.m.

McMullin cannot and should not attempt to take on Hatch as an independent. He needs to beat Hatch in the primary election, or at the state convention, or however it is done in Utah these days (I'm from Michigan and am not clear on the details).

If re-elected, Hatch will be nearly 85 when he starts his next term, and nearly 91 when the term finishes. Utahns (and Mormons) may tend to like older, wiser, well-seasoned leaders. But, Hatch does not have 2 counselors who can step in if his health deteriorates.

Given all of this, if McMullin wants to do it, he should throw his hat into the ring and try to beat Hatch for the Republican nomination. I think odds are much better than 50-50 he can do it if it is just McMullin vs. Hatch for the nomination.

• 1368 Provo, UT
    April 20, 2017 3:59 p.m.

Yes, please. I used to respect Hatch until he threw himself behind Trump.

• geekusprimus Little Elm, TX
    April 20, 2017 3:45 p.m.

33% to 29% with a 3.9% error and 17% undecided isn't exactly a decisive victory. If the election were held today, McMullin would probably lose simply because a good portion of those 17% undecided would go for the incumbent Hatch. However, Hatch needs a replacement. He seems to be busier running reelection campaigns and sucking up to Trump than representing the interests of Utah in the Senate. I don't know if McMullin is the answer. But there has to be a qualified conservative somewhere capable of defeating Hatch and assisting in a much-needed revolution in the Republican Party.

• worf McAllen, TX
    April 20, 2017 3:34 p.m.

Baloney!

• WilliamMeservy Provo, UT
    April 20, 2017 3:14 p.m.

As his intern in the 1980s, my mom thought Hatch should retire. My wife, also as his intern >25 years later, confirmed it. Both are moderates now.

As a conservative, I couldn't be happier to support Evan McMullin. He's been an example of intelligence and integrity. We need someone who's not afraid to go against the grain.

If McMullin runs, let's make his win happen.

• Johnny Triumph Lahaina, HI
    April 20, 2017 2:54 p.m.

• Rubydo Provo, UT
    April 20, 2017 2:44 p.m.

What has McMullen done to qualify him for public office? As far as I know, McMullen was involved in the messes created in the Middle East by the CIA. Who can really trust a person enmeshed in the deep state with alterior and subversive motives.

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    April 20, 2017 2:42 p.m.

If you notice who PAID for the "polling" it becomes pretty obvious what their agenda is.

As a Republican, I won't vote for Hatch, but I also would NEVER vote for Mcmullin.

If the Republicans don't nominate someone other than Hatch - I'll vote 3rd party.

The reality is: anybody can do all the "polling" (and editorial endorsements)of McMullin that they want, but he would NEVER beat Hatch!

Dream on McMullin. You're NEVER going to beat even Hatch.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    April 20, 2017 2:30 p.m.

I am not a fan of McMullin, but I would certainly vote for him over Hatch. Hatch is way past his 'use by' date.

• DavidMiller Bountiful, UT
    April 20, 2017 2:20 p.m.

I don't know that McMullin would be my first choice but I would certainly pick him over Hatch.

• banliberals SLC, UT
    April 20, 2017 2:18 p.m.

doesn't Mcmullin have a relative at DNEWS who controls these poll?s......I once read a DNEWS poll where Mcmullin beat Trump too........so much for polls!