Utah

Utahns don't need to water yet, officials say

State agency warns against wasteful watering

Comments

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    April 19, 2017 9:47 a.m.

@iamgroot

Does your lawn truly have "needs"? Or is the need actually about feeding an ego (about having the greenest lawn on the block)?

• RSL #1 Vancouver, WA
    April 18, 2017 9:03 p.m.

The state and local government entities involved in the managing of water are not trying to hurt the people of the state. These organizations filled with hard-working, common people like you and me are trying to protect a way of life, which includes lawns. They know that a lack of water is a significant concern. Remember what happened with many of the secondary water systems last year?

Fortunately we have had a record year, but if we can learn anything from state records it is that we are the second driest state with the nation's fastest growing population. Those who wish to keep lawns need to conserve water now. Wait to water and your landscapes and our way of life will be better for it.

• Rick for Truth Provo, UT
    April 18, 2017 5:59 p.m.

I notice the irrigation system for my home is off and my lawn is dying while at public buildings the sprinklers are on and running. The old do as I say and not as I do, the rulers live by a different set of rules than us lowly people. Meanwhile my monthly water bill has a irrigation water charge on it.

• Johnny Triumph Lahaina, HI
    April 18, 2017 5:19 p.m.

I agree with the dept rep, mostly. I have one full sun spot that also has a tree on it. The tree drinks up all available water in the soil leaving the grass to die. I haven't watered yet but anticipate spot watering that spot over the next few weeks.

• aghast SYRACUSE, UT
    April 18, 2017 5:08 p.m.

My lawn will not be watered as requested. Utah residents need to understand the "water cycle" does not happen in one year, but over several, especially when you realize our reliance on run-off and ground water. People simply do not realize that recovery from a drought of several years - takes several years.

Bottom line is we do not have enough water to suit our needs. Sadly, I predict we will not have lawns in the future of Utah's water.

Conserve, or use green carpet!

• infoman Cedar Hills, UT
    April 18, 2017 4:22 p.m.

Do the people in charge of the water not understand the water cycle? Do they really think the water is gone forever if I water my lawn?

• iamgroot Provo, UT
    April 18, 2017 3:40 p.m.

My lawn is showing signs of drying out. I'm going to meet the needs of the lawn. Thank you.

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    April 18, 2017 2:51 p.m.

Nope, my front yard is dry as a bone and I will be turning my sprinklers on next week after these storms. My backyard is fine as it receives a fair amount of shade.

• Red Smith American Fork, UT
    April 18, 2017 2:33 p.m.

Utah spends $90,000 a day ($22 million a year) for State Government water management.

Utah's has spent $400 million in the past 25 years, and $600 million over the next 25 years on state water paperwork.

If we consolidate Division of Water Rights, Division of Water Resources and Division of Drinking Water and stop micro-managing tiny amounts of water, we could save $11 million per year.

That $11 million in paperwork savings could be used to build more dams for real wet water instead of paperwork we can't drink.

Utah needs real water right reform to end Utah's water cartel domination and the blizzard of water paperwork costing millions for nothing of value.