Letter: The real responsibility

• barfolomew TOOELE, UT
    April 24, 2017 9:47 a.m.

@ kazie

You're absolutely right. The pollution is not a "natural occurrence" but the inversions are.

The letter writer was thanking the DN for the article on "reducing inversions." We cannot reduce inversions. They are a natural occurrence that is completely out of our control. The point of my statement is that people passionately argue about an issue when they have no clue how it even works. I swear on everything that's holy that a few barbecues during a winter inversion add essentially nothing to the air pollution in the Salt Lake Valley. Banning them would do nothing to reduce pollution and would only serve to make the environmentalist left feel like they did something.

• kazie Heber City, UT
    April 22, 2017 3:03 p.m.

to barfolomew: "Inversions are a natural occurrence and are beyond our control."

Perhaps, true. However, pollutants trapped by the inversion are not a "natural occurrence" and definitely within our control if our politicians (and Utah citizens) had the inclination to take any steps at all to improve the situation.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 20, 2017 2:23 p.m.

Come on Will, your killing me man. I can't stop laughing.

RE: "Governor is owned by the outdoor grill manufacturers"...

Yah... those outdoor grill manufacturers (lets see... how many of grill manufacturers are there?) really throw a lot of money around when election time comes around.

What a hoot. The outdoor grill manufacturers bought the Governor in a campaign to make sure their customers can grill in the back yard on snowy days in January...

It's a conspiracy for sure!

Oh my gosh. That was funny.

I can just imagine those Treager salesmen sneeking into the capital with bags of money for the Governor, bribing him to allow the few people who own a Treager grill to cook on it on winter inversion days.

What is this world coming too? burgers on a winter inversion day? We're all going to die.

Do you know how much smoke this guy with his back yard Treager puts out when he uses it once a month, compared to the smoke that comes out of Burger King or JCWs broiled burger places pump out every hour of every day?

Yah.. back yard grills are the main problem. And these grill salesmen probably paid the Governor to allow back yard grilling in winter.

• PamFlinders Sandy, UT
    April 20, 2017 12:16 a.m.

@UtahEngineer
    If you had a child that suffered from asthma like I do, you would see that pollution really does harm children. You are breathing in the particulates too and there ARE studies that show links between air quality and a huge range of health conditions.

We shouldn't allow someone to make money off of other people's health. The company that saves a few bucks on not putting filtering systems up passes on those problems to everyday people.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    April 19, 2017 3:41 p.m.

What of the pit barbecue restaurants? Should they be forced to shut down in the winter?

• Common Sense Guy Richfield, UT
    April 19, 2017 3:10 p.m.

Fake News or just a failed attempt to link the cause and affect?

While it is true the governor did sign the bill. I believe it has little to do with outdoor grill retailers sales figures for outdoor cooking in December, January and February. This is called political propaganda. Both sides do it!. Usually it shows the person to be outside the normal bounds of reasonable political thought. My very 1st thought when reading the article was "are you kidding me, who grills in the middle of winter"? I clicked on the comments and quickly found others would had the same thought.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2017 12:24 p.m.

@barfolomew
    "Inversions happen in the winter. How many people do you think are barbecuing in January? "

Apparently enough for them to deem it necessary to work on this measure ensuring it's allowed.

• ugottabkidn Sandy, UT
    April 19, 2017 12:02 p.m.

I have little doubt this will continue to be a recurring issue, not because we have too many cars or oil refineries, because we have too many "can't and won'ts" carousing our streets. No American achievement has ever come about without cost.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    April 19, 2017 12:00 p.m.

To "Impartial7" but the SLC area does not have the worst pollution in the US. On average Utah has 2 weeks per year total time of red air days. Cities like LA and NY live virtually in a red air bubble. That is according to the American Lung association.

My question is who is spreading the false information you believe in, and what are they trying to sell?

• Husker1 Northern Utah County, UT
    April 19, 2017 12:00 p.m.

@No One "Who should be car-pooling and/or using public transportation? Apparently not you. If all those other people would stop driving their cars it would be better...."

I car pool and ride UTA buses quite often.

• Scott1 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2017 9:55 a.m.

I would rather die from complications related to air pollution instead of dying from stress related to having to listen to annoying people in a carpool.

• libs think what??? Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2017 9:13 a.m.

stevo123
    like the $1.2 BILLION hilary raised, compared to half that much for trump?

like all the out of state money coming for Chaffetz's opponent?

and dems NEVER accept campaign money, though they have raised more than the GOP the past few election cycles.

Imp7
    sorry, that was utahtroutstalker promising to support the out-of-state funded chaffetz opponent. my apologies for the mistake.

• No One Of Consequence West Jordan, UT
    April 19, 2017 8:19 a.m.

@Husker1: " I drive I-15 almost every day to get to work and I would estimate that 90% of the vehicles I see on the interstate only have one person in them. It's made worse by the fact that during rush hour it can take up to 2 hours to go 30 miles on the interstate. Car pooling and greater use of public transportation would cut the pollution significantly."

UTA runs past my office and my house but when FrontRunner service started into Utah County they curtailed bus service so that if I leave the office near U of U after 6pm I cannot get to my home in West Jordan. Rail ruined service for many passengers but did a lot for property developers.

If we want public transit to help with pollution we need to stop talking about transit-oriented communities and talk about rider-oriented transit. Long commute times and multiple connections with minimum security and no restrooms at rail stations combine to drive away the public. I'll stick with my aging, paid-off car which costs me less and completes my commute quicker than UTA.

• stevo123 Driggs, ID
    April 19, 2017 7:33 a.m.

@ Libs Think, Follow the money.

• Husker1 Northern Utah County, UT
    April 19, 2017 7:20 a.m.

The biggest contributor to the inversion is the enormous number of cars driving along the Wasatch Front. I drive I-15 almost every day to get to work and I would estimate that 90% of the vehicles I see on the interstate only have one person in them. It's made worse by the fact that during rush hour it can take up to 2 hours to go 30 miles on the interstate. Car pooling and greater use of public transportation would cut the pollution significantly.

• libs think what??? Salt Lake City, UT
    April 18, 2017 9:52 p.m.

imp7
    country's, not countries. the former is possessive, the latter plural.

besides, your claim that we have the country's worse pollution is not true.

but if you think it so bad, what are YOU doing to improve air quality?

or do you only want restrictions imposed on someone else?

your constant claim that our politicians are bought and paid for just because you do not agree with them is rather tiresome and insulting.

• UtahEngineer Sandy, UT
    April 18, 2017 9:45 p.m.

Great comments by 2bits and barfolomew.

Impartial7 comment is very poor. He said, "Kill Utah residents, including kids, with the countries worst air pollution?".

This is populist nonsense... a product of shallow, irrational analysis and not supported by the data.

Our inversion pollution problem almost always involves just one pollutant and that usually occurs for just a few hours in the afternoon, and for just a few days or weeks each year. Even during inversion "season", most criteria pollutant air concentrations have fallen within the green, "SAFE" range as evidenced by DAQ data.

Most of the objectively worst air pollution in America, has been in South and Central California cities which are characterized as having unacceptable "long-term" or chronically high concentrations of criteria pollutants for very long stretches of time. Overall, kids living in those areas have immensely worse exposures to actually harmful pollution levels than ours in Utah.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 18, 2017 3:18 p.m.

RE: "Real Responsibility"...
    ---
    I guess the letter writer needs to define "Real Responsibility" first.

Is it waiting for the Legislature... or the Governor... to do something?

Or is it YOU doing what YOU can do (regardless of what the Legislature or the Governor does)?

Is "Real Responsibility" saying, "We can't do anything until the Legislature solves the problem for us", and forces our neighbor to live the way we think he should live?

Or is "Real Responsibility" saying, "I'm going to do what I can to live cleaner and let my neighbor live the way he thinks is best"?

I think that's Real Responsibility. When we do it ourselves. For the right reasons.
    Without force or coercion from the Legislature or the Governor to live your way.

I think it's "Real Responsibility" to do the right thing... Regardless of what the Legislature does, or what the Governor signs.

Looking to the Legislature, or the Governor... is actually giving up "Real Responsibility" and placing it on someone else (legislature, neighbors, etc).

In my book "Real Responsibility" is when I do it myself. Regardless of what the Legislature does, or what the Governor does, to force people to bow to my agenda.

• barfolomew TOOELE, UT
    April 18, 2017 1:33 p.m.

C'mon, seriously? Governor Herbert signed a law allowing outdoor cooking on inversion days because he's in the pocket of the outdoor grill manufacturers? That's a stretch if I ever heard one.

First of all, what he signed was an amendment to UAC 19-2-107.5. Solid fuel burning. Outdoor cooking was never against the law on inversion or any other days; the amendment just clarified that fact.

Do you really think outdoor grilling is a major air pollution problem? Inversions happen in the winter. How many people do you think are barbecuing in January?

Our letter writer states, "polluting industries are active and invested in what happens in the Utah Legislature." Yeah, and so does every other industry. What's your point? The solar and wind companies lobby for favorable legislation, too. I don't hear you complaining about that.

He also says, "I appreciate your editorial on reducing inversions in the Salt Lake Valley."

Ummm.....inversions are natural occurrences and are beyond our control.

This is all getting a little silly.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    April 18, 2017 12:09 p.m.

Exactly. Letting kids see a beer poured in a restaurant? No way! Teach comprehensive sex ed in public schools? No way! Promote Planned Parenthood? No way!
    Kill Utah residents, including kids, with the countries worst air pollution? Sure-as long as you "donate" to the right politicians.