Krystkowiak, Runnin' Utes eager to move past bittersweet season

• TouchdownUtes Salt Lake City, UT
    April 20, 2017 10:32 a.m.

I'm sure we'll be seeing Coach K haters every time the DN shows a picture, has a headline, or reports on Utah Basketball. It just goes to show the hypocrisy that exists from fans of the tds, who obviously don't subscribe to the Mission of BYU athletics, which in part preaches that they adhere to standards of the LDS Church, and "display world-class sportsmanship."

I've seen a rise in this hatred ever since the Utes joined the PAC-12. Jealousy rears it's ugly head. The bottom line is, Coach K has steadily improved the program up on the hill since his first year of only 6 wins, to one of the best in the PAC-12. Besides, we've beaten the tds 3 times in a row. And I know that doesn't sit well with the haters, but then again, what doesn't and shouldn't sit well is having a player that totally ignores the mission of BYU and throws an unwarranted sucker punch. There's no justification in it either.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2017 12:51 p.m.

It's delusional to think Utah would be able to easily find a better coach than Krystkowiak or Whittingham that would accept an offer.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    April 18, 2017 6:25 p.m.

Signing Tillman/Bibbons is absolutely huge for....Anybody else would just simply be icing on the cake!

Go Coach K!

Go Utes!

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 18, 2017 1:20 p.m.

"Glad he called out coach Rose for lack of player control."

Co Ute:

The funny thing is, the usual suspects complaining about Coach K are also the ones (now joined by Tom Holmoe and Head Cheerleader Harmon) that have also called out Coach Rose--for pretty much the same thing.

You can't make this stuff up!

• SUNNY ALL DAY St George, UT
    April 18, 2017 10:48 a.m.

Love the dire, dark scenarios painted by the usual haters.
    Haters gonna hate.
    It's what they do.
    Meanwhile...
    Coach K will continue to bring a smile to the face of every UTAH fan who loves to see the haters tie themselves into hate filled pretzels.
    Go Coach K!
    Go UTES!

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    April 17, 2017 6:59 p.m.

For the record I am an actual U grad and Crimson Club member. Utes are in good hands with both their football and basketball coaches. While I expect to see some improvement with the BB team, I think Larry K has done a very good job.
    My favorite thing about Larry K? Easy. It is the fact that so many of the BYU fans don't like him. Glad he called out coach Rose for lack of player control. Glad he cancelled the one Y game. Glad he wears the red sport jacket. Glad he publicly states he would rather not play BYU right now. All those work for me.

• JustGordon Salt Lake City, UT
    April 17, 2017 6:39 p.m.

I am amazed at how many Of our little brothers think the UTES "underachieved." I can only guess they are used to hearing that adjective used with each and every Rose team that failed to win a WCC title and/or lost a playin game! Likely they heard so often, they thought it was a compliment!

• TouchdownUtes Salt Lake City, UT
    April 17, 2017 1:51 p.m.

65TossPowerTrap "K needs to focus on coaching his team and not other teams, if you know what I mean."

I think I know what you mean.....so that being said, BYU needs to focus on recruiting players who adhere to the mission of the school that says their athletes should focus on "displaying world-class sportsmanship" as opposed to throwing unwarranted punches on opposing players.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    April 17, 2017 1:34 p.m.

Ron Swanson - Ibapah, UT
    April 17, 2017 12:14 p.m.

Our Utes need new leadership, let's hope LK moves on out the door. He's been good for wins but bad in so many other areas. If we hope to keep up with the other teams in the conference then now is the time to change coaches. And I'd argue similarly on the football side things too...
    -------
    and who would you propose they replace them with? I will take the current leadership and enjoy post season as opposed to phony feel good coaches who are fired after 3 years of losing. Ask any Washington fan how the Lorenzo Romar deal worked out. Ask Oregon how the Mark Helfrich deal worked out. I have trouble believing you are a Utah fan at all. Please don't use the term "our" so loosely.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    April 17, 2017 1:20 p.m.

Spokane,
    The dumpster fire is the one he created not the one he inherited. Care to go back 12 years and look at the record against BYU? I didn't think so.

Water Rocket,
    Judkins would rather coach the women at BYU that return to the hill to coach anything.
    laxman,
    How about Brandon Taylor tripping a BYU player on the way down the court just because he got beat? Does that count as a cheap shot? Funny how that incident got glossed over so easily.

• Ron Swanson Ibapah, UT
    April 17, 2017 12:14 p.m.

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    April 17, 2017 11:55 a.m.

@ Not much of a fan

For not being "much of a fan" you have more to say than any of the other posts.

• longjohn Highland, UT
    April 17, 2017 11:36 a.m.

Yes it is true this season was bittersweet. Through the course of the season the team overachieved, but in the post season they underachieved. Coach K is a very good coach, but as pointed out, not a top ten coach like Sean Miller or Mark Few. It is understandable to lose recruits to those coaches and their programs. Every school would like to have a coach like those guys, but does that make Coach K not a good coach, no.

I believe Coach K will always have Utah in the top 4 of the Pac12, but may never win a title. He is an excellent coach in most aspects of coaching, except game time adjustments. He should not be blamed when a young kid does not act responsibly, by going to class, doing their homework or showing up late. I remember that I was a screw up too at that age. It seems that Coach holds them accountable, which will help his program, and these young men in the future.

I wish we had not lost the two very good players who were dismissed this year, but it does make me feel better about the program that they were dismissed rather then they wanted to bolt for another program.

• Tomahawk Red San Francisco, CA
    April 17, 2017 11:06 a.m.

LOL at the jealous haters.

LOL at the disillusioned U fans thinking something is wrong.

LK is gonna be here for a while. Accept it.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    April 17, 2017 10:56 a.m.

@water rocket

"Plus, Judkins is a gentleman in every respect."

So is Dave Rose. Doesn't mean I want him coaching my basketball team.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    April 17, 2017 10:45 a.m.

worf - McAllen, TX
    April 17, 2017 10:16 a.m.

Spokane Ute,

Little brother?

Try Big Daddy!
    ------
    When you actually beat Utah; we will revisit the subject. There's your cue to run off as usual; the true one and done Guy.

• Laxman taylorsville, UT
    April 17, 2017 10:43 a.m.

@water rocket

Please tell me what the lack of sportsmanship is. I haven't seen a sucker punch up there except for our little brother.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    April 17, 2017 10:27 a.m.

When coach LK first came to Utah, I was really thrilled. I thought he would be fantastic. He did rebuild Utah's basketball program, but I don't like what I see now. I won't go into all the deficiencies he has, from lack of sportsmanship, to turnover issues, but I will say that I have really cooled in support of this guy. Aren't there any coaches with class out there any more? How about stealing Judkins back from BYU? After all, Judkins played for the U, and was an assistant coach to Majerus for a number of years. Plus, Judkins is a gentleman in every respect.

• worf McAllen, TX
    April 17, 2017 10:16 a.m.

Spokane Ute,

Little brother?

Try Big Daddy!

• 81Ute Central, UT
    April 17, 2017 8:42 a.m.

Glad to see that we are getting so much attention from the crowd with the 'dumpster fire' (you know it is true) program. Stick around and change from blue to Red.

As for the turnover, who cares? Kids do what kids do...always have and always will. If a recruit is not going to follow the rules/expectations of being on this team, well then, good riddance and good luck.

@Joe Schmoe
    Pre-season? What is that?
    Maybe you are confusing the Jazz and the Utes? Utes played several ranked teams in pre-conference this past season, did anybody else around here do that?

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    April 17, 2017 8:40 a.m.

K needs to focus on coaching his team and not other teams, if you know what I mean. Maybe then we won't see any more of these culture building articles.

• ConradGurch Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 17, 2017 8:08 a.m.

If Michael Jordan can play for college ball for 3 years everyone else can too. The NBA is incredibly weak & watered down. They college kids should play college ball for two years. This one & done stuff is why the NBA ratings are so poor.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    April 17, 2017 7:14 a.m.

I'm so glad Coach K is at Utah. 20 win seasons have become common place along with beating little Bro. Although last season didn't turn out exactly how we would have liked; I'm optimistic moving forward. It's pretty cool that he teaches his players how to play the game the right way; and continues to send them onto the NBA. No dirty play here or sucker punches. I look forward to the coming season and getting back to the NCAA tourney which would make it 3 out 4 season. Not too shabby; especially considering the dumpster fire he inherited. Go Utes!

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    April 17, 2017 1:53 a.m.

It's ok coach. At least it was a safe season.

Maybe next year the team can play some decent pre-season games?

• Not Much of a Fan Irvine, CA
    April 17, 2017 12:19 a.m.

In another post I wrote that Coach LK had given new meaning to "one and done" and it was assumed I was a Y fan and someone made a comment about "my fan base." I'm a third generation, passionate Ute! My parents and various aunts and uncles worked at the U as faculty and in the Park Building. You can disregard my comments, but not because I'm a Y fan.

The new meaning to "one and done" that concerns me, in addition to the concerns noted by others, is the number of transfers after one year because they're done with the coach or he's done with them.

LK isn't much of a recruiter if he recruits players who don't subscribe to his culture. If he can't see the culture issues before they step on campus or can't instill that sense of his culture once they arrive he's not doing a good job as a recruiter or coach.

Also consider the Finn coached by Mottola who chose Arizona over the U, the Frenchman whose brother played for the U who chose Gonzaga, the top Utah prep who chose Arizona, and the top Finley Prep player chose Gonzaga over Utah.

Why? Because they see that LK is no Sean Miller or Mark Few.

Or maybe they're allergic to his burning sweet grass.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 16, 2017 10:02 p.m.

@RockOn

Underachieving? Yes Utah had an average year but they were picked to finish 8th with 10 new starters. They finished 4th in a 4 bid conference.

Prior to that they finished #16 and #21 in the nation.

If Kuzma comes back then we have a good chance at another top 25 season next year.

Go UTES!

• ERB Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 16, 2017 9:33 p.m.

Blame blame blame. The buck sure doesn't stop with the former Buck.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    April 16, 2017 7:05 p.m.

How many more of these seasons are in the Ute future? Getting to be a pattern of underachieving teams followed by significant number of desertions, followed by promises of "we're getting there. " And patient fan base of empty seats never argues.