Family

Trump's proposed budget cuts would hurt Utah arts and dance groups

Comments

• JLindow St George, UT
    March 29, 2017 3:21 p.m.

Before anybody goes thinking the Trump budget is all cuts, remember he wants to increase military spending by $54 billion--about 10%. US military spending is already more than the next 8 countries combined, is 37% of the world's total, and makes up 54% of the US discretionary spending budget.

• JimInSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    March 29, 2017 9:41 a.m.

We already get enough song and dance from our so called representatives in Washington.

• worf McAllen, TX
    March 26, 2017 6:01 p.m.

Government doesn't create money. They take it, and find ways to spend it.

The arts can survive on their own.

• james d. morrison Boise, ID
    March 24, 2017 9:31 a.m.

Federal funds shouldn't be paying for dance. Seems obvious to most people.

• FanOfTheSith Vernal, UT
    March 21, 2017 10:48 p.m.

Interesting though that programs that encourage culture, innovation, and free thinking among the little ones seems to be feared among the political big establishment crowd and tax break incentives are favored when a wealthy businessman is building a big stadium for his professional sports team.

• Chummley MISSION VIEJO, CA
    March 21, 2017 6:16 p.m.

I love the arts - they bring culture to an otherwise uncultured world. But let them pay for themselves like the rest of us.

If it cannot survive without the Government spending money then maybe it should learn to adapt, change and overcome. Perhaps it will spend less time being just a touch snooty and a little more engaged in the process of people. Dare I say accessible to larger groups?

Art is essential to the development of society - but it too must earn its keep along the way.

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    March 21, 2017 2:22 p.m.

"Low-hanging fruit" that SHOULD have been cut as soon as our budget passed 1 trillion.

(19 trillion ago!)

• TMR Los Angeles, CA
    March 21, 2017 8:49 a.m.

Increase the funding for arts by ten-fold! Imagine if instead of building a ridiculous wall we committed those funds to the arts. Now that would be a statement.

• AverageWhiteGuy Payson, UT
    March 21, 2017 8:30 a.m.

Any money will have strings attached. Accepting that money means you give up a degree of control to those who give you the money.

People who buy a ticket to a show are making any future investment contingent on how satisfied they are with the show for which they just bought the ticket. If I like the show I will come again.

Each community is going to value different forms of "art". Personally I will never go to the ballet, opera or symphony. And even though there are a lot of good reasons for supporting these vestiges of culture, I choose not to spend my money on them.

I would rather buy a ticket to the races or a rodeo. Does that make me a hater of the arts? Some may say so, but since we have been shown time and again with so-called "modern art" that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, I say there is art in an 8 second bull ride or a 3.7 second top fuel run.

I'll never begrudge anyone wanting to go to the opera, but don't compel me to support your version of art through my taxes.

• Jon Stacy Tooele, UT
    March 21, 2017 8:27 a.m.

Ocomeonow

It doesn't matter what the percentage is. Zero percent works much better for our 20 trillion dollar debt. That's your reality check.

• Husker1 Northern Utah County, UT
    March 21, 2017 7:35 a.m.

@oco "No music, no dance, no art, no theater. What a life!"

The arts will be fine. It will be funded by supporters, like you, who care.

"Everyone who has commented today, I challenge to equal my donation or buy tickets worth 5% of your yearly income to any or several local cultural groups this and every year."

No thank you. It should be my right to choose when and if I support the arts, just as I choose not to support the Utah Jazz.

• Ocomeonow Sea Ranch, CA
    March 21, 2017 3:37 a.m.

No music, no dance, no art, no theater. What a life!
    Disney on ice does not count.

• Ocomeonow Sea Ranch, CA
    March 21, 2017 3:25 a.m.

The National Endowment for the Arts’ FY2016 appropriation of $147.9 million constitutes approximately .004 percent of the federal budget. More than 80 percent of the appropriation is distributed as grants and awards to organizations and individuals across the country.• NEA grants provide a significant return on investment of federal dollars with $1 of NEA direct funding leveraging up to $9 in private and other public funds, resulting in $500 million in matching support in 2016.....See their website for reality check.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 20, 2017 7:27 p.m.

Americans and Utahns can grow up and live happy lives without publicly funded arts and dance programs.

However, the future looks really bad because government spending on thousands of "nice to have" programs, including arts and dance have run up a $20 Trillion debt, the interest on which will add even more so that taxes will have to go up and massive cuts will have to be made in every program, including vital programs like defense.

Get the debt paid off and we can talk about funding in the future, but for now it must be cut. Anyone who objects can get their checkbook out and fill the gap, but don't stoop to stealing from future generations.

• Jon Stacy Tooele, UT
    March 20, 2017 5:01 p.m.

All funding for these and similar programs should be raised privately. This reporter only addresses one side of the story. All the good things associated with the arts can be done sufficiently and probably even better with private money. Forcing it away from tax payers is the problem here, not the cuts. The only thing hurting these programs is the lack of private funding....not cuts in government funding. The headline and this story is misleading and biased.

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    March 20, 2017 4:22 p.m.

The arts should be supported and funded by art lovers. I've never quite understood the need to fund something artistic by government/tax dollars. If people want it and appreciate it, they will fund it through attendance, purchases, and donations. If it can't be supported by those who appreciate it, why should it be supported by those who don't.

• kla795 Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 20, 2017 4:04 p.m.

@ Bored to the point of THIS!:

Two possibilities:

1) this is a satire, in which case, well done, sir!

2) This isn't a satire. Did you just call yourself a Neanderthal?

• Husker1 Northern Utah County, UT
    March 20, 2017 12:54 p.m.

The arts will be just fine without government funding.

• Bored to the point of THIS! Ogden, UT
    March 20, 2017 12:52 p.m.

I think this is a good cut.

The Neanderthals didn't need the arts to progress, why would we?

• water rocket Magna, UT
    March 20, 2017 11:57 a.m.

I love most of the "arts", but I think they should be self sustaining, meaning that I should only support them by my attendance, and not my tax dollars.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    March 20, 2017 11:27 a.m.

everbody wants to reduce our debt and build our military and roads and bridges ...but nobody wants to cut anything. Sounds like a teenager who still wants his uber expensive iPhone but doesn't want to give up his other goodie-freebees. Something has got to be cut here folks -- its time for the adults to rule now.