Utah

'Everything he said was not a fib,' Provo mayor says of chief's resignation

Comments

• Hope & Faith give us strength Utah County, UT
    March 17, 2017 12:37 p.m.

Dear Provo Mayor,

To be honest, I felt it was unfair of you to "taint" him in the first place. It seemed that you were tainting him unnecessarily given no policy/law violation, like you were out to get him.

That said, I believe your remarks about needing someone who's head is in the game, who the public doesn't have reason to question at every turn, and the totality of this situation and public trust (to maintain and more importantly to live up to) are absolutely spot on remarks. This very example goes to show just how delicate that trust is, where I took issue at first and no longer do.

Though to be fair, I think public distrust is shaken so easily now not because of any doing from the Provo government, but because the way the world is headed altogether. I'm becoming a social recluse that often only truly trusts God, then family and church leaders to strive for what's right.

I just want to be around people focused on love and mercy more than retribution. And this article gives me hope that you still see this man as a human being.

So thank you very much for this very welcome clarification. It's restored some hope for myself.

• Red Smith American Fork, UT
    March 17, 2017 4:32 a.m.

Seems like people lie to get elected and just keep telling lies.

1/2 a truth is a lie.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    March 17, 2017 2:44 a.m.

As ya get older, ya really don't give a hoot what they say. Ya watch what they do.

• Hope & Faith give us strength Utah County, UT
    March 17, 2017 12:55 a.m.

Am I surprized to see the ridiculing statements that daily plague the Deseret News comment section? No. Am I surprised that most people don't have even an ounce of support for "Innocence until proven Guilty", the burden of proof, and especially the value in human dignity and respect and non-judgement we show to others, guilty, alleged, and even innocent? No, because we've basically turned our backs on God. We don't seem to care about the fact that this is an allegation. And if it is true, we don't care about helping people heal and repent. We care about getting our voice of outrage heard louder than the next guy's complaint.

Personally, I think this would have been better had the additional news not been published. But hey, I value privacy and liberty of transparency and public shaming. I guess I'm insane for that.

• mcclark Salt Lake City, UT
    March 16, 2017 4:38 p.m.

Its called a lie Mr Mayor, not a fib, a lie.

• Rise n Shout South Jordan, UT
    March 16, 2017 4:10 p.m.

An allegation has been made; it's just an allegation. The mayor is very wise to not share all he knows; this is basic HR practice, particularly in the public sector. This can get litigious when it remains an investigated allegation only, no charges are filed, and all that the city knows is made public-- bad practice! The mayor has as much a responsibility to his employee and his privacy, as he has to the city, and he wisely asked for a resignation. The chief and the city now move on.

• AT Elk River, MN
    March 16, 2017 3:07 p.m.

My momma taught me, "Any communication with the intent to deceive is a lie [fib]." Maybe I should give her the Provo Mayor's phone number so they can have a little chat.

• Jim Cobabe Provo, UT
    March 16, 2017 2:50 p.m.

The insistence that "...he had not broken the law..." does not appear to be a consideration to writers of this news report. Not really all that ironic to read that whatever allegations might have been made appear to involve incidents within Salt Lake County, else I don't understand why Unified Police and Salt Lake County District Attorney would be involved. Appears to be yet another case being tried in the newspapers.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    March 16, 2017 2:06 p.m.

"not a single policy that was broken" - sexual assault is not against policy?

All in all, I see lots of rationalizations and excuses. There is still deception. Are partial truths OK?

• scrappy do DRAPER, UT
    March 16, 2017 1:09 p.m.

Gotta love happy valley

• Jim Schwartz Fort Lauderdale, FL
    March 16, 2017 12:57 p.m.

Records requests have been performed. We will see what they reveal.

If the former police chief sexually assaulted someone recently while in Maryland, it would be incumbent upon law enforcement there to investigate and prosecute him, if there is sufficient evidence.

It does not look good that King left his position as Chief in Gaithersburg in 2010 under a cloud of mystery.

That begs the question, what did Provo Mayor John Curtis know of King's history?

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    March 16, 2017 12:41 p.m.

Kind of ironic. The Provo PD has been sharing sexual assault victim's personal info and police reports with the BYU Honor Code office for years. That should be an ongoing investigation in itself.