City official: Provo police chief was asked to resign due to accusations of sexual misconduct

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    March 16, 2017 1:23 p.m.

I will probably never understand how easy it seems for these men to be unfaithful to their wives and families and friends. They absolutely know it is wrong yet they allow themselves to tease, flirt and before you know it...they have broken the oath of trust. I feel sorry for his wife and family..I don't feel sorry for him...he made the choice to break covenants and when you do that it's a tough road ahead.

• UtahTroutStalker Draper, UT
    March 16, 2017 11:35 a.m.

@Hope & Faith give us strength - Utah County, UT

"Why is the Mayor's office publishing this?"

Transparency is a virtue, especially when we are talking about people who hold positions of power in a free society.

I applaud the DN for publishing this story. I know some folks are thinking wow, this can happen in Utah Co, and Provo no less? Well yes it can, and it does.

I think it is safe to assume 2 possibilities here:

1. The mayor of Provo does not stand behind his people.
    or
    2. There was enough evidence that the mayor did not feel comfortable continuing to support the Chief of Police.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    March 16, 2017 7:42 a.m.

@cleetorn;
    "Impartial, am I reading a different article than you? The one that I read says "Provo police chief was asked to resign due to accusations of sexual misconduct." It wasn't "Provo police chief was asked to resign" so he could spend more time with his family. It seems pretty clear-cut to me."

The original article, published the previous day, released a statement from the mayor & the PD that the chief was resigning to go back to Maryland because his mother needed chemo treatments. He needed to spend more time with his family. Turns out, that statement was untrue.

• Cleetorn Fuaamotu, Tonga
    March 16, 2017 6:57 a.m.

If he isn't facing criminal charges and no longer has any ties to this community, why hang around?

• Hope & Faith give us strength Utah County, UT
    March 16, 2017 12:03 a.m.

Why is the Mayor's office publishing this?

If there wasn't enough evidence to file a charge, then what are they seeking here if not to embarrass and shame someone over a suspicion? How is this helping anyone? Even if he was guilty, public shaming helps no one. Branding everyone for their wrong doing doesn't make us safer, doesn't make people happier, and doesn't help people heal.

I just feel that where he gave a reason to shield his family from shame, especially where none can be proven to be warranted, that to publish this now seems very irresponsible.

Transparency isn't a virtue. It's exposure to social influence, which will be mostly good or mostly evil, depending on the people. We don't need every detail of everyone's life, especially unsubstantiated suspicion and allegations. Even if he was guilty of wrong doing, he'd be on the same list every other imperfect human is on. Publishing wrong doing in this day and age is publishing a social and economic death sentence. And for a suspicion...? So why publish this?

Privacy is a right and a virtue.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    March 15, 2017 9:22 p.m.

How can we trust local government officials and police spokespeople, if every time a high ranking cop resigns it's always due to "He wants to spend more time with his family", when they know good and well it's because of a scandal?