Letter: Daylight saving time 2017

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 16, 2017 2:31 p.m.

I agree with the letter. Adjust your life, not everybody's life.

RE: "I love Daylight Savings Time! It allows for more light in the evenings for unwinding or when there is yard work to be done"...
    ---
    So he's saying go to work earlier so you can come home earlier and enjoy gardening, etc.

In Summer and Winter it doesn't matter. In Summer there's plenty daylight before work and after. In winter you go to work and come home in the dark, regardless. Only makes a difference a few weeks in spring and fall.

RE: "the daylight begins close to 5:00 A.M"...
    ---
    No. The daylight begins when the sun comes up, not 5:00.

When the sun comes up changes with the seasons. Adjust your life if you want more daylight when you get home, not everybody's clocks.

Adjust your life, not everybody's life.

• No One Of Consequence West Jordan, UT
    March 16, 2017 2:29 p.m.

Instead of a law forcing us to change our clocks we could develop a tradition of adjusting working hours. A freedom-based free-market thing.

Daylight Savings Time is a goofy thing. When sensible people speak out against this goofiness they are shouted down as if they were the goofy ones.

• John Charity Spring Back Home in Davis County, UT
    March 16, 2017 1:04 p.m.

DST was started by the German government under Kaiser Wilhelm II to further it's efforts to conquer France. That is a terrible reason for messing around with time, and no better reason has been offered for the modern version of DST.

• CB Salt Lake City, UT
    March 16, 2017 12:20 p.m.

Somebody out there ought to check the stats for children injured or killed when having to
    go to school in the dark....one way or the other...daylight or not....leave the clock alone!

• Opinionated Sandy, UT
    March 16, 2017 12:02 p.m.

Seems most commenters like DST, as do I. It would have been effective if the letter writer would have cited these "polls" that were referred to.

• Utah Soldier Bountiful, UT
    March 16, 2017 9:46 a.m.

I happen to like Daylight Savings Time and wish we had it year round. I understand the issue with the time change 2 times a year, however, it is no different than when I travel between Mountain and Pacific time, which I frequently do.

I enjoy coming home in the light, and I do not have the luxury (nor do I believe most people do) to change the time I leave work, as the writer suggests.

• Lia Sandy, UT
    March 16, 2017 9:45 a.m.

Keep it, just make the change on Friday night instead of Saturday night, so there are 2 days to adapt.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    March 16, 2017 8:34 a.m.

73 people die in a landslide in a garbage dump,
    30 people are blown up in a market,
    4 million Yemeni people are starving,
    24 million Americans are about to loose healthcare,
    and
    someone is upset about resetting a clock...

• Mata Leao Ogden, UT
    March 16, 2017 8:10 a.m.

The semi-annual whining of the DST came a little late this year. It usually would have started a week ago. What gives, miss an hour of sleep or something?

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    March 16, 2017 8:05 a.m.

Not whining, this is a arbitrary law with no purpose that needs to be repealed and not replaced. Time should not be modified a various places around the world for recreation purposes.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    March 16, 2017 7:25 a.m.

Please, stop the whining about DST. I beg of all you.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    March 16, 2017 7:07 a.m.

The only thing more consistent than the time changes twice a year,
    are the letters to the editor whining and complaining about it.

• EPJ Grantsville, UT
    March 16, 2017 7:01 a.m.

I love Daylight Savings Time! It allows for more light in the evenings for unwinding or when there is yard work to be done.

Without DST, the daylight begins close to 5:00 A.M. in the summer, so your statement to simply adjust your schedule earlier makes little sense if your employer does not.

Stop complaining and enjoy the summer evenings. Go for a walk or invite your neighbors over for a BBQ.