BYU's Childs plays, and prays, his way to career performance

• Lone*Star Austin, TX
    Feb. 13, 2017 11:51 p.m.

SCW

You seem awfully concerned with telling other people what they're allowed to pray for - who made you the prayer police?

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 13, 2017 6:36 p.m.

Good example of "faith like unto a Child(s)."😉

• Steve C. Warren WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Feb. 13, 2017 5:56 p.m.

@DrMan

You wrote: "Praying to do one's best in sports is not the same as praying for another to lose."

Childs was not praying "to do one's best" when he prayed: "Please let the rebounds come my way." He was praying for God to give him a competitive advantage to help his team win and the other team lose. He also prayed not to have fouls called on him, but he did not pray for no fouls to be called on his opponents.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 13, 2017 3:43 p.m.

"WCC refs are worse than PAC12 refs, something I did not expect to see.

bluehusky:

That's because you haven't seen it. There is no such thing as conference-exclusive refs. I hate to be the one to break old news, but the Pac12, WCC, MWC, BigWest and WAC all belong to an alliance from which the same pool of refs are assigned. So, in any given month one ref could call games in all 5 conferences. It's been that way for years.

• DrMAN Orem, UT
    Feb. 13, 2017 3:33 p.m.

@Steve C. Warren Praying to do one's best in sports is not the same as praying for another to lose. Losing is the natural consequence of someone else winning. Welcome to life. When I bid a consulting job (not sports related), I pray that I've done my best and the client will want to hire me. This doesn't mean that I am praying for all the other consultants to not do their best and lose the contract. Of course, I need the Lord's help to provide for me and family, but praying for His help does not mean that I'm praying for Him not to help others. Same thing in sports. Prayer does not compensate for poor preparation. And if BYU is any example, they pray at every sporting event...and not for some teams to win and others to lose.

• Steve C. Warren WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Feb. 13, 2017 2:06 p.m.

Re: I’m like, ‘Please let the rebounds come my way, something like that.’ Before this game, I said, ‘Please just let me play as hard as I can and not get fouls.’

Sounds like he's wanting God to give him some rebounds that might otherwise have gone to the other team and increased that team's chances of winning. On the fouls thing, how about praying that both teams play hard and avoid fouls. That would make for a fairer and better game.

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 13, 2017 12:47 p.m.

@Lia,
    I agree with DrMAN. I think sports would generally fall under the "worthwhile pursuits" category, especially if playing it oneself rather than spectating. I encourage my son to pray about anything that is important to him, including that his efforts to get better at soccer can be focused. Part of the reason I think it's an appropriate thing to do is that you are more invested in the process yourself if you're asking for divine help. Being proficient at anything worthwhile is good for us in many ways, and we all know the Lord is concerned about our well-being. It isn't much different from asking to perform well if you're at a recital if you've practiced a lot with your musical instrument, or from asking to do well on a test when you've given all the effort you reasonably can to know the material.

• Steve C. Warren WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Feb. 13, 2017 12:19 p.m.

@Kia

Good comment. You're absolutely right. Praying should not be used for success in sports, especially when "success" means me winning and someone else losing.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    Feb. 13, 2017 11:38 a.m.

@Lia

That's the beauty of being omnipotent and omniscient, busy is never a problem.

Have a nice day.

• DrMAN Orem, UT
    Feb. 13, 2017 9:00 a.m.

@Lia I've never known the Lord to be too busy for any of the earnest pleas of His children. If it matters to you, it matters to Him (yes, even sports contests).

• Lia Sandy, UT
    Feb. 13, 2017 8:40 a.m.

Praying should not be used for success in sports.
    The Lord is very busy attending to prayers for far more meaningful things.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Feb. 13, 2017 6:28 a.m.

@DEW COUGARS - you've noticed the crazy foul calling WCC refs execute. Against Pepperdine we saw 6 offensive fouls called on Cougars. Six! Never in my life have I seen six offensive fouls on a team. At a game in Provo, the refs called a foul when two Cougars were fighting each other for the ball and the opponent was at least a foot away from them. Didn't touch the ball.

I'm not saying that the refs are picking on BYU. I'm saying that WCC refs are ... in need of improvement.

WCC refs are worse than PAC12 refs, something I did not expect to see.

• AZBlue Gilbert, AZ
    Feb. 12, 2017 10:53 p.m.

BackTalk..... terrible coach because he allowed Yoeli to shoot jump shots? Did you miss this part of the article?
    "[Childs] knocked down some mid-range jumpers, something he hasn’t done much of this season.

“He was good at that in high school,” Rose said. “... it was so obvious that they weren’t going to guard him. They let him shoot it.”

No discipline? Terrible coaching? Sounds like Rose might actually know something about the game. And a lot more than his naysayers.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Feb. 12, 2017 9:39 p.m.

Nice young man of Yoeli Child. He did well on his last game. What really strange was both Childs and Mika were fouling too fast in 1st half at Pepperdine. Then at SF the whole team didn't have many fouls in 1st half and no FT's for SF (1st half). But 2nd half Mika had 4 fouls and Childs played 39 minutes with ZERO FOULS. Maybe his prayers did answer that but this is crazy. Those Rec WWC Referees are a mistory of what they are doing. Those ref make strange calls to other team too and something need to be fix!
    Hope Yoeli is on the roll the rest of the way in his career at BYU.

• Back Talk Federal Way, WA
    Feb. 12, 2017 9:02 p.m.

Childs certainly played a good game overall.

However, Childs is proving otherwise in practice, letting him have the freedom to shoot outside anytime he wants without consequences is just another example of no player discipline or accountability by coach Rose. That first air ball Childs through up from way outside was ridiculous.

In addition, just because SF misses open outside shots (unlike Pepperdine) doesnt mean that BYU played better defense. Hate to see it portrayed that way.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 12, 2017 8:43 p.m.

Glad he chose BYU over utah and the rest of the pac.
    He still makes freshman mistakes along with the rest of the team but the future sure looks bright for BYU as they mature.

• Mowgli54 Santa Rosa, CA
    Feb. 12, 2017 7:39 p.m.

For a young man who I understand was baptized into the church after finishing high school last year, I find it nothing short of awesome that he intersects his faith with his considerable athletic skills.

Before he leaves Provo, everyone in college hoops will know his name. Those long arms and big hands are going to vacuum up huge numbers of rebounds. And the way he jams the ball thru the hoop? Check the MC floor for dents. !

• Steve C. Warren WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Feb. 12, 2017 6:40 p.m.

It's great that Childs was able to pray his way to a career performance. I hope the whole team will follow this example before their next game with Gonzaga. If they do, I predict a blowout.