Utah

'Loyalty to truth': New Deseret News editor comes from rare news background

Comments

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Jan. 17, 2017 10:32 a.m.

If the Deseret News thinks of us Latter-day Saints who live outside Utah as a "Mormon diaspora" they are never going to adequately serve us. While I have Utah roots I have 3 sister-in-law with no Utah roots and my girlfriend has no Utah roots. Worldwide only 1 in 7 Latter-day Saints live in Utah. We want news that focuses on Latter-day Saints with out assuming we are all Utahs in any way.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Jan. 11, 2017 6:23 p.m.

The old line from Perry Mason is a good place to start: "Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help you God?"

The role of the Deseret News must never be compromised no matter how vocal the opposition. The truer your message is, the louder the opposition's insults will become. When people attack, you'll know that you've just hit a home run.

Good luck and God bless.

• James P Behunin Woods Cross, UT
    Jan. 11, 2017 3:34 p.m.

Doug, I'm thrilled about your new opportunity. I still remember reading your articles in the Daily Universe years ago when we were at the Y. And I wondered then if you were going to make this journalism thing work out for you. Well, you certainly have!

I'm confident you will be able to provide the Deseret News the leadership it needs. However, I wonder just how many people are truly interested in good journalism. It seems we prefer news that re-enforces our preconceived ideas or we want fake news that is more shocking than informative. Good Luck!

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    Jan. 11, 2017 12:00 p.m.

I have always had great hopes and expectations for the Deseret News, with growing emphasis on the former. I hope this change in assignment helps the Deseret News in doing a good job of reporting.

• Marigold Provo, UT
    Jan. 11, 2017 10:49 a.m.

I once read that President Hinckley would read three newspapers a day to get the "news." I'm a news junkie and read conservative and liberal news outlets to get the "news." I'm sure the new editor of the Deseret News will do his best to get the truth to the readership. Truth is a hard thing to publish given that all news outlets are owned by someone. In our day and age, wealthy individuals or corporations own the "mainstream" media (i.e. Amazon's Jeff Bezos owns the Washington Post; billionaire Carlos Slim of Mexico is a top owner of the New York Times...)--and news via Facebook is popular. Time to sit down and spend a few minutes perusing as many news outlets as possible...to get to the "truth" as life unfolds. What an adventure!

• Wyld Stallyns Rule Plymouth, MN
    Jan. 11, 2017 10:40 a.m.

Nice work uncle Doug! I told you I'd read your articles!

• UtahEngineer Sandy, UT
    Jan. 11, 2017 10:22 a.m.

What DN-Subscriber just posted could profitably be repeated many times,

""Truth" does not necessarily flow from the venerable but totally untrustworthy New York Time or Washington Post. Associated Press (appropriately nicknamed "Administration Propaganda") in recent years must be viewed with skepticism as their advocacy skills often outweigh their reporting skill."

Our worrisome times demand much more than a geographically or religiously localized newspaper prefers to provide. The DN must find ways to provide more and better national content. The extreme bias of the main stream media must be countered.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 11, 2017 10:13 a.m.

In dealing with the crisis enveloping our country right now, Mr. Wilks has shown me nothing.

He seems like a fine man. I hope he shows up. Time is running out.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 11, 2017 8:55 a.m.

Welcome to a challenging job in an endangered industry.

Don't be swayed by the rabid views from the "other newspaper" in town.

The unified approach by the Deseret News and KSL TV and Radio is a winning combination, and the KSL.com marketplace is much more viable than the dead tree classifieds. Keep moving in that direction and the Deseret News may survive.

Good luck!

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Jan. 11, 2017 7:17 a.m.

I wish him well. It sounds like he's a truth seeker, regardless of the reflections. I hope he keeps his integrity, especially when it comes to reporting things that may be unflattering to the church.