Sports

Utah basketball notes: Utes look forward to 'great opportunity' vs. Trojans, Bruins

• 83Ute Ogden/Weber, UT
    Jan. 12, 2017 1:06 p.m.

@UtahRules (6:36 pm):

Of course Utah has scheduled some weak OOC competition. I don't think there is any argument there.

But, if you are going to criticize him for not scheduling OOC road games, remember that Utah played Xavier on their home court. BYU didn't play on an opponent's home court until conference play started.

My rankings were based on Sagarin ratings. And, Butler, Xavier, and Arizona are all rated higher than St. Mary's. All three are significantly higher than St. Mary's in the latest AP poll also, as I'm sure you know.

• Utah rules Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 11, 2017 6:36 p.m.

83,
    I am a Ute fan but I am also a realist and can see clearly without my Crimson glasses. I also like BYU and think they have a great program. I think we can all agree that Larry K has traditionally scheduled a very weak out of conference schedule.

If he is going to build a powerhouse program then he needs to schedule powerhouse opponents. He also schedules all of his out of conference games at home. This does not help to build a battle-ready road team. The road has been their nemesis in the past and will probably continue to be so until the coach mans up.

Not to be contentious but BYU has played the 19th ranked team, on the road. I believe that would be higher than 20 or 24. I am not a math major so you probably know more about numbers than I do.

Utelogy,
    I totally agree. This will be a good week to test their metal. The Utes can be real tough but they must limit their turnovers. Before conference started they had 183 turnovers and 181 assists. Way too sloppy to be a championship team.

• 83Ute Ogden/Weber, UT
    Jan. 11, 2017 3:52 p.m.

@Utah Rules (9:26 am):

"We shall see how they do against real competition."

Granted, the weak teams Utah has played are very weak. However, Utah has played 3 pretty good teams already. Utah went 0-3 against those teams (Butler #17, Arizona #20, Xavier #24. I think we already know how Utah does against real competition. BTW, these three teams are tougher than any opponent your favorite team has played so far.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 11, 2017 2:54 p.m.

Chance to prove if this team is good enough to challenge for an NCAA bid.

We should beat USC, not sure about UCLA.

• Utah rules Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 11, 2017 9:26 a.m.

Yes, their SOS would finally get out of the 300's. Probably the worst SOS of any PAC school.

No more elementary school teams on their schedule. We shall see how they do against real competition. My guess is not so good., especially on the road. I wish we could get Larry to schedule like the big boys do in this conference and other power conferences.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Jan. 11, 2017 7:36 a.m.

Great opportunity for the Utes to improve their resume with their strength of schedule improving.

From the Article:
    "Utah has seven straight wins over USC."

Troy Town; paging Mr. Troy Town

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 11:22 p.m.

What does Assume make me? In my above post - don't "reverse" the first comment! I knew both Utah men's and woman's team were playing two ranked teams this weekend! The assumption - I made was that the woman's would be playing the same two schools only at their homes. In reality, it's even better. The woman's team is playing Stanford and Cal. (both ranked teams) And these games are at the Huntsman! So.... 4 straight games against 4 top 25 teams all here in SLC. And I thought it couldn't get any better!

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 10:37 p.m.

Two ranked teams. USC and UCLA in the Huntsman center. At the same time reverse that - Two ranked teams, USC and UCLA in Los Angles. I will never get tired of our PAC-12 membership!