Faith

'A mission isn't for you' — letter to a dad from a returned missionary

Comments

• Amazon St Joseph, MO
    Jan. 11, 2017 1:09 p.m.

What an inspirational letter. It made me wish I had been strong enough in faith and character to have gone on a mission when I was younger. To have learned to lessons so early in life and realize how they were ones to help you through out your life would have been an amazing gift. I am so happy for this young woman.

• D Van Duker Syracuse, UT
    Jan. 11, 2017 10:42 a.m.

From the title, I was misled, and thought I was going to read something totally different from the story I enjoyed.

No truer words: "In order to find yourself, you must first lose yourself in the service of others." This is something most missionaries start out thinking they know to be true...until they finally reach a point where they personally know that they know it is true.

From then on, if this knowledge is to have any lasting meaning, we'll need to spend the rest of our lives recapturing that affirmation on a daily basis.

From my own experience, there is nothing that makes a father happier than to know that one's children have found happiness. Parents fret and worry about it; praying always that their children will find happiness. There are a LOT of messed up people in the news these days--stories like this one renews and validates our most optimistic hopes for the future.

Once more, a great personal story and wonderfully expressed sentiments.

• robin138 springfield, VA
    Jan. 11, 2017 8:26 a.m.

That was wonderful! I wish all the Church Members, young and old could hear it in Sacrament Meeting some day.

• Abeille West Haven, UT
    Jan. 11, 2017 7:57 a.m.

NeifyT -

No, her mission wasn't for her, her mission was for others. She points that out in the first couple of lines in her response to her father. Having read many of Jason Wright's articles, I'm sure that's what he meant in the first place - a mission is primarily for the benefit of others, not the Missionary. You end up finding that, in the act of helping others, the mission becomes 'yours'. Through the act of helping others, you find that you benefit far more than you ever expected, while learning important eternal truths along the way. I guess it's one of those things you have to experience to fully understand.

• NeifyT Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 4:42 p.m.

An interesting letter; but it did not address the headline or her father's statement. It said that she agreed with her father that a mission wasn't for her... but then went on to say exactly why it was for her.

As a return missionary myself; who growing up always thought "a mission is for me" until I got there and had a huge amount of problems, I know "a mission wasn't for me" and if I had it all to do again knowing what I know how, I would never serve a mission.

My testimony is very firm; but I did not, and still do not have the social skills for a proselyting mission.

That said, yea, I learned a lot about me in the mission field; that perhaps I would not have learned had I not been cast into those circumstances. It certainly started me on an important journey of self-discovery. And, also, Christ's mercies were apparent my last month where I was asked to participate in a different type of work (not proselyting) which I was able to accomplish very well; giving me peace that the 2 years were a complete waste.

But, no, a mission was not for me.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 10:18 a.m.

Thank you.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Jan. 10, 2017 10:12 a.m.

Beautiful in so many regards. Thank you so much for this inspiring letter. What you described is so true!