Execution is what Utes seek on offense after coordinator change

• ekute Layton, UT
    Jan. 11, 2017 7:44 a.m.

The problem with the critics is that their team is O-fer vs every one of these coordinators.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 8:01 p.m.

The problem is that no matter how many coordinators he fires and hires the results are always the same. That means he's the problem and if he wants it to change he needs to just let this new guy do his thing. I have my doubts he'll be able to keep out of Utah but I guess we'll see. One things for sure you've got to be a self masochist to take that job. Gide luck new guy, you're going to need it.

• 3025stc Santa Monica, CA
    Jan. 10, 2017 1:09 p.m.

It was such a great season, only to drop off a cliff at the end.

I don't know that I'd calling it falling off a cliff exactly. Finish ranked in all three polls. Win your game against BYU. 9 wins, best recruiting season I can remember. Won your big boy payoff bowl game against a tough Big 10 team. Huge respect in the mighty Pac 12--- the Conference of Champions--a P5 conference, I might add. If that's a cliff, some local schools might be saying--"Might you perhaps point me to the edge of the cliff? My heart is pumpin' to do a little jumpin!"

• ekute Layton, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 12:26 p.m.

"Hasn't Whittingham executed enough offensive coordinators already?"

His defense has "executed" a number of them over the years...including yours. Remember the first few minutes of the las vegas bowl?

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Jan. 10, 2017 11:37 a.m.

Hasn't Whittingham executed enough offensive coordinators already?

• Jackie Treehorn St George, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 10:51 a.m.

Oh please, worf. The same leash the assistants are on with the HC is the same leash the HC is on with the AD. And the same leash the AD is on with the President. If Whit weren't changing things up that need improvement, I'd say he should be under more scrutiny. Of course you don't really care about that, you just want a reason to criticize.

• Dand_Ute WEST JORDAN, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 10:38 a.m.

That first comment from coach really bothers me. You hire a guy that excels with pace of play and then say, it's not a priority, or (from what it sounds like) even an option! I don't see much changing in the offense, if that's how Whitt's going to play it.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 10:38 a.m.

"Tempo is way overrated."
    I can recall several times when Whittingham used "tempo" to rush over to the official and quickly call a time out before the play clock expired. Why? Because his co-coordinators were co-collaborating on what they would co-call and they were co-slow to co-communicate the play.

I am looking forward to a new and single offensive coordinator. That alone will help the execution of the play calling.

• red.diehard Central, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 10:30 a.m.

re: worf

So you are saying that he should fire himself? You are implying that he is ineffective?

Blue suits you.

• slcftball Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 10:14 a.m.

Not bad Utah
    Finished right in middle of PAC12 where you have found a home in football

Other sports not so well

Final Rankings:
    3- USC
    4- Wash
    12- Stanford
    17- Colorado
    23- Utah

• U elite Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 7:46 a.m.

Woop there it is!!!!! It's only been about a week and KW is already giving advise on how to run the offense. Same old KW.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 7:21 a.m.

"don't tell me Whitt is going to start the E mantra"

Relax, samefan. He did not add, "at a high level" so no Roscoe mimicry here.

• Sparkley Briefs New York, NY
    Jan. 10, 2017 6:25 a.m.

I've been for execution at the offensive coordinator position for several years. We're long past due...

• worf McAllen, TX
    Jan. 10, 2017 1:10 a.m.

When expectations are not met, a head coach will fire an assistant in an attempt to improve the team. They do it for the fans, and players.

Seldom do they fire themselves for the same reasons.

This is common in almost all working places with a supervisor, and worker.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 9:45 p.m.

Whitt's comments about pace being overrated concerns me. I agree that going high tempo can be drastically overrated and even detrimental, but I don't want to see the play clock be so predictable that I can consistently hit the 30-second forward button on my remote and the next snap won't have occurred yet which was the case all last year. I'm a believer in changing it up throughout the game to keep the defense off balance. It also doesn't make any sense at all to be huddling up for the majority of the play clock without leaving time at the line for a read option QB/offense to analyze the alignment of the defense and allow time to audible, etc. It'll be interesting to see if Taylor's offense huddles up, only periodically huddles up, or virtually never huddles up. The new look Utah offense is going to be intriguing, that's for sure.

• Guam_Bomb BARRIGADA, GU
    Jan. 9, 2017 6:48 p.m.

It was such a great season, only to drop off a cliff at the end. I don't know why Utah has such struggles in the passing game, but I hope this new offensive coordinator can fix it. For the first time since hiring Erickson, Whittingham made a bold move to improve the offense, which is what it's going to take to fix things. We have a ton of talent on offense as Shyne and Moss excelled at times in the backfield. But we need T-Will to be a leader on offense. If he can't produce then give Huntley a shot. The big question mark remains depth at WR and TE. Improving the receiving corp should be a recruiting priority for the next few years. There were way too many drops and not enough speed to threaten defenses.

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 6:44 p.m.

No, no no, please don't tell me Whitt is going to start the E mantra. We know where they lead you know who.