Sports

Dick Harmon: Former BYU star Steve Sarkisian's role with Alabama came after rough road

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Jan. 11, 2017 8:45 a.m.

I love stories of redemption. I hope this is another one.

• burningblue Provo, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 11:00 a.m.

@water rocket

That seems like a fairly judgmental things to say from either a religious perspective or a human perspective. Our history is littered with men and with both vices and powerful ideals. Just because someone doesn't always live up to them, it doesn't mean they are not a "true winner."

Ghandi struggled with morality in his youth, as did Benjamin Franklin, and I could give you a dozen religious examples as well.

My advice is to follow Christ's admonition to "judge not, that ye be not judged."

• Facts are friendly Sandy, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 10:15 a.m.

I knew Sark pretty well back in the day. Really down to earth guy. Everybody liked him and he never upstaged anybody. The pressure of the SC job ate him up. He was young and trying to be good to everybody and he wanted to deliver. We all have a tipping point.

I was cheering for him last night. I hope Saban doesn't overrun him like he did Kiffin, but if I had to guess I'd say Kiffin will railroad Sark also. 5 different play callers for 5 National Championship teams. It's a no-win situation. Saban is a tyrant.

My hope is Sark comes back to Utah someday. He's legit and needs a fresh start.

• red.diehard Central, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 9:46 a.m.

Yep, he is a real hero. I mean Dick says so, it must be true.

• toosmartforyou Kaysville, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 12:45 a.m.

I think this is his third chance or are you discounting his time at Washington?

• water rocket Magna, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 11:18 p.m.

NeilT, a real winner doesn't cause his own demise in the first place! That said, I like your comment about "getting back up and trying again." Steve deserves a chance to start over. I just hope that Alabama's loss isn't blamed on him.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 7:15 p.m.

Best of wishes for Steve at Alabama. A real winner gets up tries again when life knocks them down. Kudos to Saban for recognizing his talent and abilities.