Sports

Arizona LB Cody Ippolito to transfer to University of Utah

Comments

• 10CC Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 12, 2017 2:12 p.m.

Great pickup, from another PAC program!

Every year some part of your team is in rebuilding mode. Our LBs this past season became veterans. Sunia, Kavika and Barton all have solid experience, as does Ippolito.

Donovan Thompson is just beginning to scratch the surface of his potential. He and Sunia are a little smaller, with high motors and speed. Ippolito and Barton are huge in run support.

Luatafasaga is an NFL level talent. He looks like the kind of LB that historically ended up at USC.

These guys will be the glue of next year's D.

Go Utes!

• Michigan Cougsfan68 Ann Arbor, MI
    Jan. 11, 2017 8:25 a.m.

Really nice pickup by the Utes. Hopefully he can stay healthy for an entire season and only have a bad losing game against TDS! Welcome to Utah.

Go BYU !
    Rise and shout !
    ROC rules!

• Jello is Good Seattle, WA
    Jan. 10, 2017 1:42 p.m.

@BoaterMike

"When a BYU fan denigrates Utah, expected response should be Utah fans defending the Utes and possibly taking a shot at denigrating your Cougars. Quit pretending you or anyone else is doing anything other than exactly that."

The world is a safer place with your super-hero mind reading abilities. Tell me, what am I thinking right now?

• Jello is Good Seattle, WA
    Jan. 10, 2017 1:38 p.m.

@Spokane Ute - Spokane, WA
    Jan. 9, 2017 5:35 p.m.

"So what? Top 20 finish and beat your little Couggies again. Check Mate!"

Just when I thought you were all about serious discussions about sports you start with 3rd grade name calling.

You will notice that I may go after certain posters, but I never trash the University of Utah. I never use a lower case "u" and never make fun of their mascot(s). I never trash or minimize the education portion of the University.

I do analyze the players and coaches and I do hope my team does better than Utah, but congratulate them on their accomplishments.

Just my opinion for what its worth. Hoping for better in the future.

• The Moose Kanab, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 1:18 p.m.

I personally like this route better than the JC route for a "quick" fix. They are looking for immediate help for one season...sounds like a good idea to me.

• Rumoris Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 11:59 a.m.

But seriously

You clearly don't know Fitts will back, plus the plethora of experience our guys got this year, and now Ippolito has decided to come.

I'm thinking we aren't thin at all, you just want us to be.

• SIMPLICITY Denver, CO
    Jan. 10, 2017 11:50 a.m.

Welcome to a perennial Top 25 Ranked CFP college football powerhouse.

• But seriously folks! Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 11:01 a.m.

I guess this shows the depth of the problem at linebacker on the hill if they are bringing in injured players. I guess they will take anyone at this point.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 9:47 a.m.

let's roll

"Just wanted to confirm that the Ute fans entire football ego rest on its claim that it is better than BYU. Three replies to my comment which does not mention or even allude to BYU."
    __________

Please... as if your agenda as a BYU fan wasn't made clear by your comment and past comments. When a BYU fan denigrates Utah, expected response should be Utah fans defending the Utes and possibly taking a shot at denigrating your Cougars. Quit pretending you or anyone else is doing anything other than exactly that.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 11:53 p.m.

Three replies to my comment which does not mention or even allude to BYU. All three mention BYU.

1-2-3. Confirmed.

The moving on train never left the station.

• Eddie Would Go FPO, AE
    Jan. 9, 2017 11:34 p.m.

let's roll,

You pointed out: "the Utes won one game over a P5 team with a winning record this year."

That's true. BTW, BYU didn't beat a single P5 team with a winning record this year.

Would you like to guess when the Cougars last beat a ranked P5 team? 1997. That's 19 seasons ago. There are tens of thousands of missionaries who weren't alive yet when that happened!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 9:18 p.m.

let's roll

Btw, the Utes won one game over a P5 team with a winning record this year.
    _______

If stats like that are of interest to you perhaps you'd be interested to know that since joining the PAC 12 Utah is 21-1 against non-conference opponents. That's a schedule of teams that would look an awful lot like BYU's last 22 games. The only loss by the way was at Utah State with Utah's starting QB (Jordan Wynn) getting injured in the early going of the first game of the year.

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    Jan. 9, 2017 6:02 p.m.

Let's Roll : "Btw, the Utes won one game over a P5 team with a winning record this year."

And that's one more than BYU-P has the last 20 years.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Jan. 9, 2017 5:35 p.m.

let's roll - LEHI, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 4:37 p.m.

Shame on the PAC-12 for sending its best team to the Sun, Vegas, and Foster Farms bowls the last three years.

Btw, the Utes won one game over a P5 team with a winning record this year.
    -----------
    So what? Top 20 finish and beat your little Couggies again. Check Mate!

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 4:37 p.m.

Btw, the Utes won one game over a P5 team with a winning record this year.

Good luck to Cody. Hope he stays healthy and takes advantage of one of a number of great graduate programs at the U.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 4:37 p.m.

I was gonna say "cue the hyperbole" but Christina already cued some. Lol

• Pac 12 Champion Utah Utes Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 3:25 p.m.

Welcome aboard!

You'll love playing for the best team in the Pac 12 over the last 3 years(yes we've won more Pac 12 games than anyone the last 3 years combined)

Go Utes
    Go Pac 12
    Go P5

• UteMiguel Go Utes, CA
    Jan. 9, 2017 3:04 p.m.

I'd like to see more of Donovan Thompson next year.