Family

10 moments from the Golden Globes that got Twitter riled up

Comments

• Thid Barker Victor, ID
    Jan. 10, 2017 8:26 p.m.

@ liberal in utopia: What I am saying is that what some people "hear" isn't what really happened! Some people hear only what they want to hear! That's what I am saying!

• barfolomew TOOELE, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 2:29 p.m.

@ Liberal In Utopia

That's a funny post considering I answered the question. You know, me being a member of the extremist, obstructionist, anti-equality faction and all.

• Liberal In Utopia Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 1:44 p.m.

rdean92 - Los Angeles, CA
    Jan. 10, 2017 12:36 p.m.

Re@Thid Barker. "So are you saying that Donald did not make fun of a handicap person? Have you seen the video? Just curious, what is your take on his impersonation"?

Specific questions to members of the extremist, obstructionist, anti-equality faction will not be tolerated or directly answered. Questions will be directed with questions (not pertaining to subject matter) on their part. Unfortunately the ilk is incapable.

• barfolomew TOOELE, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 1:43 p.m.

@ rdean92

"So are you saying that Donald did not make fun of a handicap person? Have you seen the video? Just curious, what is your take on his impersonation?"

I can't speak for Thid, but I'm saying, yes, Donald Trump did not make fun of a handicap person. He used the exact same gestures when describing Ted Cruz when he got flustered over a waterboarding debate question. And he used the same gesture - in the very same South Caroline rally - to describe a very non-handicapped general about his response to a question about ISIS.

So, drop the regurgitated liberal anti-Trump talking points. They're getting tiresome.

• rdean92 Los Angeles, CA
    Jan. 10, 2017 12:36 p.m.

@Thid Barker. So are you saying that Donald did not make fun of a handicap person? Have you seen the video? Just curious, what is your take on his impersonation?

• Liberal In Utopia Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 12:27 p.m.

Thid Barker - Victor, ID
    Jan. 10, 2017 9:54 a.m.

"Meryl Steep only accomplished one thing; she made a complete fool of herself in front of the entire world"!

Only to those in highly diverse booming metropolises such as Victor, Idaho!

• barfolomew TOOELE, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 11:10 a.m.

peabody

"So much for free speech in Donald's world."

Another liberal who doesn't understand what "free speech" means. Another who thinks free speech means, "You're free to say anything you want, as long as it is something I agree with" or, "Because you argue against what I say, you're infringing my rights."

Let me enlighten you.

Free speech means that, "Congress shall make no law........abridging the freedom of speech..."

That means that Meryl Streep can say what she wants and that Donald Trump can also say what he wants. Congress has passed no law infringing either one's right to do so. Freedom of speech guaranteed by the First Amendment also gives you the right to say what you want on these comment pages even though you have no idea what you're talking about.

• Thid Barker Victor, ID
    Jan. 10, 2017 9:54 a.m.

Meryl Steep only accomplished one thing; she made a complete fool of herself in front of the entire world!

• GingerMarshall Brooklyn, OH
    Jan. 10, 2017 8:41 a.m.

Meryl Streep very, very articulately expressed the opinion of the majority of voters - Trump lost by 3 million votes, after all - and pointed out the bullying nature of the Trump campaign.

His response was... sad. Very sad. Pathetic. The words of a loser. Sad.

• fight4liberty Herriman, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 1:44 a.m.

Entertainers do just that, provide entertainment sometimes good sometimes not. Sadly enough, some of their accomplishments feed their ego a little too much. They should be greatful they have an audience instead of poiticizing their accomplishments.

ALL people (doesn't matter who you are, entertainers, politicians, regular folks) who live in glass houses should not throw stones!

Throwing stones will obviously affect someone, stirring up much ire.

Everyone has the right to defend themselves if served up that stone.

So until people want to treat each other with some form of civility to create peace instead of discord, it will always be your choice to live in your self made heaven or hell.

Throw the stone....enjoy the bruise on the ego.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    Jan. 9, 2017 7:16 p.m.

Hey Thid Barker -

RE: "Nothing to see here folks! Just some "entertainers" getting together to congratulate each other on how wonderful they think they are!"

Once again we have concerned Americans publicly registering their disgust and disdain for the dastardly President-elect.

While most Americans abhor him, our nation's enemies adore him.

It's the Trump effect!

• Utah Girl Chronicles Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 6:54 p.m.

Voltaire slightly paraphrased:

"I do not agree with a word you say but I'll fight to the death defending your right to say it."

• Chancey Sandy, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 5:28 p.m.

I love the movies, but these award shows just serve to demonstrate who these people really are. I like them much better in the movies. They should stick to roles they play and keep the rest to themselves. It's as if they're trying hard to convince me not to watch their movies, even after all the work they do to make them. Meryl Streep makes me feel like the Ann Hathaway character in "The Devil Wears Prada". Perhaps I'll toss the cell phone in the fountain and simply walk away.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 5:19 p.m.

@fitness frank
    For someone that claim they do not pay attention to or care what entertainers think you seem to have a pretty strong opinion about them.

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 4:48 p.m.

"Entertainers", for whatever reason, think people pay attention to what they believe far more than the general public REALLY do.

I watch movies because I enjoy the performances, I listen to music that I like, and I couldn't care less what these individuals believe.

"Entertainers" most often, don't believe in much of anything - beyond themselves. They are too self-absorbed and usually suffering from their own delusions of greatness.

Unfortunately, for the last few years, these "awards" shows have turned into nothing other than a lovefest for all things liberal.

• peabody Steamboat Springs, CO
    Jan. 9, 2017 4:38 p.m.

So much for free speech in Donald's world.

• Thid Barker Victor, ID
    Jan. 9, 2017 4:16 p.m.

@rdean and FT: I mean that if anyone at these self congratulatory meetings stood up and praised President Trump, you would be howling in protest, demanding they be silenced! Free speech is allowed only for those whom liberals approve, right?

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 3:48 p.m.

Memo to Trump and his supporters, turn off the t.v. if you don't like what the majority of us are saying or believing out here. I did it to my Twitter and haven't been happier.

• rdean92 Los Angeles, CA
    Jan. 9, 2017 3:00 p.m.

@Thid Barker, you mean kind of like in sports when teams play against each other to determine who is most polished is also a way to let each know who wonderful they are? What are you even trying to say?

• Thid Barker Victor, ID