President Russell M. Nelson urges young adults to be 'true disciple of Jesus Christ'

• johnpack Parker, CO
    Jan. 10, 2017 1:20 p.m.

Joseph Smith spent several years searching the scriptures and conversing with religious leaders while trying to find the truth. Those who seek God's revelation would be well advised to engage in a similar search before condemning Smith.

Some commandments are not permanent (e.g., shellfish & pork); some are a response to a changing world (e.g., R-rated movies, alcohol). Polygamy has been used off and on, under the guidance of prophets since at least Abraham.

I encourage all to learn eternal truths -- such as honoring parents and following the prophets rather than worrying about whether an instruction is temporary or permanent.

• strom thurmond taylorsville, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 11:04 a.m.

If god has divine laws why cant he tell me, rather than suggest I follow a man with a known criminal record (Joseph Smith).

Also, is polygamy one of these divine laws? This was the position of the LDS leaders through Bruce McKonkie. And if so, why is it not practiced today? Is god more powerful than the laws of the United States?

• strom thurmond taylorsville, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 11:03 a.m.

"Divine law cannot be denied or disputed. And when God’s laws are obeyed, relevant blessings always result. Blessings are always predicated upon obedience to applicable law."

When any man says they are the arbiter of what is gods law, that man should be thoroughly challenged.

What is Divine law anyway? Can someone provide an example?

Also, please provide what blessings come from obedience to said laws.

• fearfullooking Maple Grove, MN
    Jan. 10, 2017 8:04 a.m.

“President Nelson focused his remarks on ... becom[ing] a ‘true disciple’ of Christ . ..."

In Matthew 7:21-23, we read:

“Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father . ... Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you . ...”

In Matthew 25:31-40, we read:

“When the Son of man shall come in his glory ... he shall separate [us] ... as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father . ... For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. ... Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Jan. 9, 2017 9:28 a.m.

I meant that in the plural. We have so many devoted, inspired leaders.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Jan. 9, 2017 8:19 a.m.

I really love President Nelson. We are so blessed to have an inspired leader of his superior quality