Sports

Dick Harmon: Player reunion between memorial and funeral for Edwards is a once in a lifetime gathering

Comments

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Jan. 10, 2017 9:49 p.m.

There were a lot of champions in that crowd.

• BobbyPaluga Austin, TX
    Jan. 10, 2017 1:30 p.m.

Dick, thanks for the expanded list, most of the guys I missed were on the new list, even my cousin David King, who lost his dad too soon, in 2016. There were 40 years of BYU football coming together to honor an exceptional man, and rekindle memories. Each player had a story, Glen Titenser was a UCLA transfer, a BYU Great who went onto play for the NFL Cowboys. Brady Oates who was a center for the NY Giants, signed by the 49'ers to become the guy who touched the ball before Steve Young on every down. I didn't see Brian Mitchell who was a terrific player then coach.
    This group of guys brought me a lot of joy from a young age to the old guy I am today. Thanks!

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Jan. 9, 2017 11:01 a.m.

What an amazing gathering of just about all of the BYU Greats from my childhood on. Wouldn't that have been fun to attend.

• goosehuntr Tooele, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 8:09 a.m.

Wow.. What an article. What an attendance.

All my child hood hero's... Missed Glen Redd, Todd Shell as was mentioned above.

Anyway, O the impact one person can have on so many, by just being decent, by caring, and by allowing players and coaches freedom. What a remarkable man, with an even more remarkable wife.

LaVell.... You will be sorely missed. We all love you and are grateful for the quality of your life.

• BobbyPaluga Austin, TX
    Jan. 9, 2017 2:44 a.m.

Thanks Dick for another very touching piece. I know that this would have been inappropriate and unwelcome, but wouldn't it have been wonderful to have a video of the entire meeting? To be able to preserve the players coming together and their remembrances would have been a treasured item for both the former players as well as the fan base.
    There are a few guys that were not on the list but were very special players to me, Stacey Corley, Todd Shell, Mo Elewonibe, Bill Ring, Ryan Hancock, Bart Oaks, are just some of the guys, I hope are OK, but were unable to come for whatever reasons. It was great to note that the Whittingham's all came as well as Chris Farasopous (so?) maybe the best special teams player ever at BYU.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Jan. 8, 2017 9:39 p.m.

Was Kyle Morrell there? (list didn't show him)

1981-1984, 4 yr letterman, 2 yr starter, captain his senior year, did the airborne-before-the-snap shoulder-pad tackle of Rafael Cherry at Hawaii, All-American, drafted 4th round by the Vikings. I think he lives in Farmington? Athletically speaking, he's one of my heroes. That guy was the BEST Free Safety that BYU has EVER had.

Sad to see LaVell leave us.

Goi Cougars!!!

• Hawk Littleton, CO
    Jan. 8, 2017 4:07 p.m.

Blake Murdock, Jeff Nilsson, Scott Collie....

• GEAnthony RAMAH, NM
    Jan. 8, 2017 3:28 p.m.

Thanks for all the memories, Coach. You may be gone. but you will never. ever, be forgotten!

• robin138 springfield, VA
    Jan. 8, 2017 12:25 p.m.

Who made the Funeral Potatoes?

• greyghost Draper, UT
    Jan. 8, 2017 5:54 a.m.

Great story, thanks for relating this!

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Jan. 8, 2017 12:26 a.m.

Been a fan watching since first attending the Y in 1969-70 which was Hudspeth's last year as the coach. That spring the scrimmage was sparsely attended and those students who came cheered loudly when a paper airplane, launched from the top of the east stands, made it all the way down to the field. The coaches and players turned around, wondering why the students were cheering so loudly. Next year, LaVell was the head coach and the rest is history.

The only time I ever met him was at the Las Vegas Bowl the year it was super windy (2009 I think and the opponent was Oregon State), and the Y was ahead at halftime, as we were walking past each other under the stands getting refreshments. I said "There's LaVell Edwards" and he and Patti stopped while he shook my hand, smiling (very rare for him). I asked if he thought we could hold onto the lead the next half and he replied "Oh yeah, we'll win this game." Of course he was gracious and kind, as that was his nature. Patti married well, as did he. Thanks for all the memories and great times at BYU games we personally enjoyed as a family for many years, Coach!

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 7, 2017 11:19 p.m.

Thanks, Dick, for telling us BYU fans about this incredible event.

Once in a lifetime for sure. All BYU greats in one room. Amazing!

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    Jan. 7, 2017 7:09 p.m.

Wow, just wow. What a group, there to honor one of the greatest coaches in college football history.