Opinion

Hal Boyd: Bring the popcorn for a Hatch vs. Huntsman Jr. race

Comments

• tenx Santa Clara, UT
    Jan. 12, 2017 8:51 a.m.

Another term? Surely that is a joke. He can't be serious. During his tenure in Washington's-good-ole-boy club he has participated in spending to where our national debt is increasing a mere $630,720,000.00 (yes million) every ............(are you ready for this?).........EVERY DAY!!!!!!! He lost me when he co-sponsored with Ted the amnesty-without-enforcement for illegals in 1986. Now in 2017 we have more illegals than ever (around 20 million, who knows for sure?) in spite of the promises made in 1986 with the "Amnesty to end all Amnesties". Viva LEGAL immigration.

• Iron Rod Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 12, 2017 6:42 a.m.

I find it interesting on what Senator Hatch chooses not to talk about.
    Tell me what has he said about Russian hacking and its impact on the last election? Did we miss something? Has he said anything about the settlement issue in Israel?

• Z South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 11, 2017 9:48 a.m.

To say that Orrin Hatch is focused on local issues is laughable. Senator Hatch is so steeped in Beltway culture that he has almost forgotten that Utah is his home state. The only time he really pays attention to us is every six years when he comes back to hoodwink us into giving him another term. Then it is back to his real home turf.

It is long past time that we called him home. This last election cycle showed once again who he is really working for. If we fail to recognize his inability to govern and his lack of true perspective, and we send him back for yet another failed term in office simply because he tells us again "I've been there a long time" then we have only ourselves to blame.

• james d. morrison Boise, ID
    Jan. 11, 2017 8:51 a.m.

Last election Hatch said it was his last election. Hold him to it.

• ute alumni SLC, UT
    Jan. 11, 2017 2:51 a.m.

Both are bad berry berry bad.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 12:54 p.m.

@SG in SLC - 5:22 p.m.
    "The Republican convention will stick with Hatch"...
    ---
    How do you know that? Just because you say so?

Support for Hatch last time at caucus meetings was very low. I think most people there were only willing to respect his "Last Time" pledge, and give him one last chance and not embarrass him by yanking him like we did Bennett. But his support at caucus meetings is going down, not up. There were lots of anti-Hatch people last time. There will be more this time (if he breaks his promise to not run again).

I think you have it backwards. Hatch is at more risk of loosing at Convention than anywhere else. If he gets past convention and is nominated for the Party-Primary he may win (depends on who else advances). If he gets past the Party-Primary he will for sure win the General Election (Because so many Utahns vote for the Republican on the ballot automatically).

So his chances actually get better after Convention. His biggest challenge will be getting selected at Convention (IF he runs). There will be tons of anti-Trump delegates sent to convention IF he runs.

• Roland Kayser Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 12:11 p.m.

Ronald Reagan had switched to the Republican party before running for Governor of California. He first became famous for his conservatism for a speech in favor of Goldwater's presidential candidacy in 64. Reagan spoke as a conservative but governed as a moderate. Richard Nixon also spoke as conservative, but governed as a liberal.

• SG in SLC Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 5:22 p.m.

"The Republican convention will stick with Hatch. Huntsman has to make it to a primary to get the nomination." -Roland Kayser

I think you are probably right, though I also believe that Huntsman would probably go the "convention + ballot signatures" route, like Gov. Herbert did in 2016.

Jon Huntsman, Jr. is actually a little too conservative for my liking (I prefer a "Senator Jim Matheson", personally), but Huntsman is fairly pragmatic and less of an ultracon ideologue than virtually anyone else likely to come out of the state GOP convention, so I could probably live with him as a Plan-B alternative to Senator Matheson.

• forward thinker Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 4:39 p.m.

I don't want to see this flick. If it is playing, I don't want to bring popcorn. Can I bring tomatoes instead?

I don't like either one of them.

The only campaign t-shirt that has not turned into a gardening/workout t-shirt is Mike Lee's. There has to be another decent conservative in this state. We just need to find him, or her.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Jan. 9, 2017 2:47 p.m.

"What does it matter what people would call Reagan today? That's not the topic. Don't know how we got off on that tangent."

Really? You see that as a tangent. Let me connect the dots for you.
    Reagan is held up constantly as the patron saint of the GOP and conservatism.
    Why does it matter that it was 45 years ago? To this day, he is the standard bearer.

The point is that some in the party have shifted so far to the right that even Reagan would be called a RINO by todays GOP base.

"And why do you care who is more like Reagan? You hate Reagan (from some of your past posts about him)."

Find ONE. I have commented many times on this board that I thought Reagan was a good president. You so want me to be a left wing liberal. When all the time I have told you repeatedly that I voted R in every presidential election except recently.

"And why do you care who the Republicans pick? That's kinda up to them, isn't it?"
    Of course it is up to them. But it affects everyone, including me. So, I care.

"I don't want Hatch again."
    I thought you were an independent. Why are you weighing in?

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 2:01 p.m.

@JoeBlow,

It also doesn't matter who is more like Reagan (Mike Lee or Ted Cruz or Jon Huntsman Jr). That's irrelevant. Reagan was 45 years ago people!

Don't know why Democrats think it's THEIR job to approve the Republican nominee, or comment on who the Republican nominees should be. I would never pretend it was my job to approve your candidates, or pretend you had to please me with who you pick. I don't care who you pick.

If Republicans want Hatch again... that's their business.

I don't want Hatch again. But I don't pretend Republicans have to make me happy. Republicans don't have to worry about picking a candidate that makes me or you or other Democrats happy.

You pick the Democrat candidates. Let them pick their candidates.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Jan. 9, 2017 1:22 p.m.

"To "Frozen Fractals" you are wrong. Reagan would not be called a RINO if he ran today. Your ilk would call him an extremist."

I'm pretty sure he was referring to your ilk.

Jon Huntsman Jr is much more similar to Reagan than Mike Lee or Ted Cruz.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 12:47 p.m.

I don't want either one of them.

Hatch is out of touch, and Huntsman burned too many bridges when he ran for President.

What we need is somebody like Mike Lee that has principles and sticks to them. Huntsman has shown that he just goes with the political winds.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 11:53 a.m.

@Frozen Fractals11:12
    RE: "Reagan would be called a RINO if he were alive and running today"...
    ---
    Who cares what he would be called?

You guys put way too much importance in labeling people. And applying your stereotypes once your labels have been affixed.

Reagan was liberal in many ways (amnesty, taxes, spending). But he was Conservative in others, (strong military, strong America, don't back down to terrorists, Iran, Russia, free-market economics, etc).

If you google his political history, you will learn he was both a Democrat and a Republican at different times in his life.

He ran as a liberal Democrat in California (when he became Governor of CA).

He ran as a Republican for President.

Wikipedia:
    "Originally a liberal Democrat, Reagan ran for the U.S. presidency as a Republican and won two terms, beginning in 1980, ultimately becoming a conservative icon over the ensuing decades"...

So affixing the correct labels, and applying your stereotypes to him is useless. He was both. That's what was so cool about him IMO.

I think we would all be served better if we spent less time labeling people and applying our stereotypes for the label.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 11:12 a.m.

Reagan would be called a RINO if he were alive and running today.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 9:35 a.m.

There will most likely be no Hatch vs. Huntsman Jr. race... so why comment on something that won't happen?

And if it does... who cares? Hatch said he won't run, so if he does... doesn't mean we have to pay attention to him. He's way to old now IMO. I don't care how important his appointments are to Utah or the Nation, somebody else can do them. Nobody's irreplaceable.

• higv Dietrich, ID
    Jan. 9, 2017 7:34 a.m.

Wasn,t this going to be his last term? Or will he serve until he dies? He has to be replaced sometime, there are other Utah residents qualified.

• Anti Bush-Obama Chihuahua, 00
    Jan. 8, 2017 10:30 p.m.

No RINO senators. Both if these guys should not be senator.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 8, 2017 7:00 p.m.

@Pipes "I have nothing but respect for Huntsman Sr. Nothing but disdain for Huntsman Jr."

And why would this be? Reflects conservative thinking, one is either all good or all bad, saintly or evil, worthy or despicable. This is not reality.

In today's international world, Huntsman Jr has a whole lot more to offer than Hatch.

Mind you, as a socialist I'm not really excited by big shot capitalists like either of the Huntsmans. But we have to get on with things, and Huntsman Jr offers a lot to the system.

• SLC BYU Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 8, 2017 1:42 p.m.

I think it is long past that Senator Hatch retire. The only voices he's hearing to run for an 8th term are coming from the Big Pharmaceutical Profiteers Lobby who need a senator with seniority as well as rank to equate the power they need to allow for more $600 Epi-pens. His son Scott has been a lobbyist for the Pharmaceutical Profiteers for over 15 years. What integrity?

• Roland Kayser Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 8, 2017 12:04 p.m.

• SLars Provo, UT
    Jan. 8, 2017 11:59 a.m.

Huntsman can't finish. He walked away as Governor, then as ambassador.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 8, 2017 11:13 a.m.

I have nothing but respect for Huntsman Sr. Nothing but disdain for Huntsman Jr. I agree that Hatch needs to keep his promise and not run. We need a third option...

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Jan. 8, 2017 9:51 a.m.

"He's also a bit too left leaning to be a Republican"

No, he might be "a bit tool left leaning" to be a conservative.
    He is too logical and reasonable to be a Republicans.

I can assure you that Huntsman is much more like Reagan than Donald Trump or Mike Lee or Ted Cruz. The notion that moderates should not be running our government is scary.

But that is the new Republican Party.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 8, 2017 9:24 a.m.

I personally do not believe either has much integrity. hatch said this term would be his last, but the allure of power seems to have taken control, and he has shown he'd rather serve his buddies in the senate than his constituents in Utah. I suspect huntsman would vote to confirm any liberal judge brought before the senate, and I doubt the DN would post my other comments about huntsman, so I'll not even bother with them.

Who knows? I may write in something ridiculous in 2018 in the senate race. better that than hatch, huntsman, or a dem

• Justmythoughts Provo, UT
    Jan. 8, 2017 9:14 a.m.

Every 6 years Hatch brings out the 'ole "one more term" phrase. " I'm so effective right now with great committee assignments" and Utahns fall for it every time. Hatch has been a fine Senator but no one is so important that they need to be there forever. I'm not sure Jon Huntsman Jr. would be my first choice for his replacement but he will probably win.

• Richie Saint George, UT
    Jan. 8, 2017 8:55 a.m.

Hatch is too old but for some reason, I don't trust Huntsman Jr. any further then I can throw him.

• Gpagentry Orem, UT
    Jan. 8, 2017 8:50 a.m.

Many of us feel that local issues are much more important to the state. I believe that Gov. Huntsman is a bit too much of a "world view" politician and too inclusive to be our senator. He's also a bit too left leaning to be a Republican. AND it's time for Senator Hatch to come home.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Jan. 8, 2017 8:44 a.m.

"Yet, Hatch has been making a strong case that circumstances have changed with a Republican president suddenly assuming office with which Hatch has a close connection."

Hmm, I did not realize that Hatch listed qualifiers when he said that 2012 would be his last campaign.

• Utah_Happyman Orem, UT
    Jan. 8, 2017 8:15 a.m.

Hatch needs to retire...he lives in a different world than the one his constituents reside in...

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Jan. 8, 2017 7:50 a.m.

Vote Huntsman, not a career politician.

• UtahBlueDevil Lehi Ut & Durham, NC
    Jan. 8, 2017 7:39 a.m.

Really too bad, because Hatch has had a relatively distinguished career, only to possibly end it by breaking his promise to not run, and entering a fight that may leave his legacy tainted. I don't see how it is worth it, for him, his family nor the party.

• Moderate Thinking Logan, UT
    Jan. 8, 2017 5:36 a.m.

Senator Hatch has done a lot for Utah, some things I've very much supported, and some things I haven't supported at all. Ultimately, I'm convinced he's a good man who's worked hard to represent our state.

All that said, I believe it is time for him to retire. He came in on the premise that new blood was needed, and I agree with him (even if he's forgotten, or thinks that it applies to everybody but himself).

Huntsman would make an excellent representative in the Senate for our state. Willing to work in a bi-partisan manner. Track record of being above the broken culture of partisanship in Washington. While I'm not a registered Republican and therefore have no say in the primary process, I would very willingly support him in the general election should he emerge as the nominee.