Sports

Mormon leaders, NFL icons, family remember LaVell Edwards as 'remarkable,' 'monumental'

Comments

• TheFork Spanish Fork, UT
    Jan. 11, 2017 10:46 a.m.

I too cried when I heard he died. I love hearing the many stories of his life.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Jan. 8, 2017 10:29 a.m.

What a man. The influence he had spead to thousands of players and hundreds of coaches. Lavell knew people -- he understood now to choose good people and how to motivate them. That is a rare talent. I think with Lavell you always saw a level head -- maybe disapointed but never angry. His football success is incredible but his success with all sorts of people is even greater. Love is the word players and coaches use to describe their relationship to Lavell. In so many way he was just an ordinatary man of few words but obviously what few words he did say meant alot. A life well lived and I am certain his Savior will say "well done".

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 8, 2017 9:54 a.m.

LaVell Edwards was a tremendous linebacker for Utah State University. Proud to have him in the Aggie hall of fame. Rest in peace.

• Utah_Happyman Orem, UT
    Jan. 8, 2017 8:29 a.m.

Thank you for the Memories LaVell, you are a faithful Servant to all humanity...

• Caddis Terry, MT
    Jan. 8, 2017 7:31 a.m.

Well said, Cougar Blue.
    When you step back, football is fun and great game. It can even be life changing in a positive way... but... it should be put in perspective. It's not an a par with the important things in life.
    I played football. My sons played football very proficiently. But as I get older, and see the risks increasing, I hope my grandsons find a different sport.
    However... I'm a fan of BYU football and I am grateful to Coach for all of the things listed above.
    "Never shall such a one be again."
    BYU fans are lucky to have had one of the great ones.

• MurrayMike Murray, UT
    Jan. 7, 2017 11:32 p.m.

I also was there in 84 for the national championship game. Four years earlier, I watched BYU beat SMU 46-45. Probably one of the few people to see both games in person. Great husband, father, coach and friend. Truly will miss him. I cried when I heard he had passed away.

• MoreMan San Diego, CA
    Jan. 7, 2017 5:02 p.m.

I was there on the field watching the night he and BYU won the National Championship in 1984. What a great game and memory.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 7, 2017 4:27 p.m.

It seems that we can't get enough of the little tidbits of stories and one-liners from the life of LaVell Edwards. His legacy will go down in the annals of football as well as lessons learned in life! May we remember them well. He influenced literally thousands of us!

"Well done, thou good and faithful servant!" is the chorus in Heaven!

• mabramso Provo, UT
    Jan. 7, 2017 3:23 p.m.

He was a great man who lived a great life.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Jan. 7, 2017 1:49 p.m.

Article quote: "He cared about football, sure," said grandson Geoffrey Cannon, "but he cared about his faith, his family and people more."

And that's the way things should be.

I remember when I was younger that I would be furious if BYU ever lost a game and I'd stay upset for quite some time. Now, older, I realize that sometimes despite our best efforts, losing is just a part of life; a part of life we can learn from.

Rest in peace, Coach Edwards.