Sports

Peavler: Way-too-early breakdown of BYU football's 2017 schedule

Comments

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Jan. 13, 2017 4:19 p.m.

@ Bluto - Sandy, UT - Jan. 11, 2017 11:00 a.m. - "Word has it that Utah coaches have hired an expert to instruct all coaches and players in the Heimlich Maneuver, to prepare for every November."

HaHa! Good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read that because if I was my laughter would have blown it right out of my mouth.

Go Cougars!

• Jello is Good Seattle, WA
    Jan. 13, 2017 6:20 a.m.

@Spokane Ute - Spokane, WA
    Jan. 12, 2017 4:43 p.m.

"Word has it that BYU has contracted Klenex in preparation for the Utah post game."

Well, it is our home field and we are required to clean up all messes, even if you make them at the Utah post game.

Now at the BYU post game we will be cleaning up confetti and sparkling cider bottles.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Jan. 12, 2017 4:43 p.m.

• CV Storm Hyrum, UT
    Jan. 11, 2017 5:34 p.m.

The Cougs go 8-5 at best. And that is if they don't have one of their bad games that they lose to someone they shouldn't. Second half of season should go really well though. They should cruise the second half of the season. But LSU, Wisconsin, Utah, Boise, and Mississippi State, those are losses.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Jan. 11, 2017 11:00 a.m.

• p e RICHFIELD, UT
    Jan. 11, 2017 9:38 a.m.

@ekute
    Thanks for the encouragement and the good tone. All the best to your Utes, hoping they get over the hump for a conference or at least a division title next season. Not expecting miracles from my team with this schedule but still hoping for more improvement.
    Go, Cougs!

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    Jan. 11, 2017 12:56 a.m.

Utah fans.

I know you don't have the fanbase or the coverage that BYU has, so you choose to troll, why don't we just sum up Utah's season now:

Wins a bunch of big games, high ranking, then November hits like a load of bricks.

Accurate enough?

In the mean time, I'll enjoy seeing BYU take on LSU, takes guts to hit a huge team like that early on. My ego isn't attached to the record, I love the games, some losses are more entertaining than wins. I loved this year's games and look forward to next season.

Wish the Utes luck as well!

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 5:29 p.m.

"Winning football games against the U or any final ranked team is not something we see from the mighty cougies pretty much ever."

Or losing at home to 2-10 teams that haven't won a road game in 3 years when a chance to play in a championship game is on the line.

Also, although BYU is not winning all their games against ranked teams, for the most part they have been very competitive in them, usually keeping the margin of victory to within a touchdown. So making the claim that BYU "can't compete" isn't founded.

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 8:09 a.m.

@Duckhunter......."Well if what we want to see is an instate team losing a lot then that is a great suggestion, thanks for it. Winning football is not something we see from Utah in the second half of seasons."

Welcome back always Nice to hear from you January - Cougies annual loss to Utah in September.

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Jan. 10, 2017 7:46 a.m.

I like the fact that Utah will have 9 days, following their warm up game, to prepare for the game at LES. The Cougars have seven days to lick their wounds coming off a likely loss to LSU.

Good luck next season cougar friends, and Go Utes!

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 11:13 p.m.

BYU has proven that they can't beat Utah so I don't expect them to do so next year either.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 8:59 p.m.

@uteololgy

In fact Kalani was 2-1 against Utah in his post mission years.

1998 - win
    1998 - loss
    2000- win

Not sure where you got the "lost 3 in a row as a player" "fact" from? Maybe from Chris b's imagination? Lol

• Guam_Bomb BARRIGADA, GU
    Jan. 9, 2017 8:51 p.m.

I think BYU is going to have a special season in the next couple of years I don't know about this year. Once Sitake gets a couple of recruiting classes under his belt, it should be exciting. As a Utah fan, we know what Sitake can do on defense. The wildcard for both teams is QB play. Tanner was less than impressive against Wyoming. Troy is gonna be learning a new offense. I'm already looking forward to next year.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 8:49 p.m.

@uteology

If you actually knew what you were talking about you'd know that Kalani's final regular season game as a player, was Lavell's final game as a coach and it was a win over Utah. Kinda like that "Mike LB" thing I guess. Lol

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 8:41 p.m.

@ft

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 6:59 p.m.

I see 10-3, and a nice bowl game. They could go 11-2, if they can beat Utah and Boise. I see them winning one of those, but Whitt has had their number since he became HC.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 5:37 p.m.

"UTAH's traditionally strong D and a revamped O will end the hope and fantasies"

JustGordon:

Again.

• PeteMan LEHI, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 4:45 p.m.

I would hope for an 9-4 season; but I'm guessing BYU will end as 8-5 before the bowl season. Until I see how they play against LSU and Utah; can't really tell what they will be like. Either way, still can't wait for football to begin again!

• mabramso Provo, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 4:38 p.m.

My predictions:
    1. BYU loses to LSU by 7.
    2. BYU upsets Utah by 3.
    3. BYU loses by 2 to Wisconsin.
    4. BYU beats Boise St by 4.
    5. BYU loses by 3 to Miss State.
    6. BYU wins everything else, and no game is closer than 7 points.

• burningblue Provo, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 4:13 p.m.

2017 is going to be a difficult season. BYU has yet to shown me enough to believe that they are going to beat the best three teams on the schedule (LSU, Wisconsin and *sigh* Utah). I would love to see them beat a few of those teams, but building BYU up to national prominence is going to be a process and I think BYU is still a few years out from competing with good P5 teams.

• taatmk West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 4:14 p.m.

Looks like another fun season under Sitake. Can't wait. Go Cougs!

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 3:38 p.m.

@Xoltar
    "However, the non-P5 teams, most of which were pretty decent teams when the schedule was made, have really tanked. "

East Carolina, San Jose State, Fresno State, yeah they all really dropped off a cliff. Unfortunate for the schedule maintaining some semblance of a challenge to get to bowl eligibility.

• JustGordon Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 3:30 p.m.

I love all the comments about Sitake "guaranteeing a win against the UTES"!!

I though Sitake had used up all his eligibility. Drafting inferior players year after year spells our little blue brother's doom. UTAH's traditionally strong D and a revamped O will end the hope and fantasies of oh so many in Provo.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 9, 2017 2:53 p.m.

@So. Cal Reader - San Diego, CA
    I don't see Sitake losing to Utah two years-in-row, particularly at home.

-----

If you took off your blue tinted glasses , you would see Sitake has lost 5 straight to Utah (three as a player and two as a coach).

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 9, 2017 2:40 p.m.

Since BYU hasn't beat a final ranked P5 teams in 20 seasons, we can basically count LSU, Utah, and Wisconsin as lossese and everything else is a tossup, 7-6 or 8-5 is a great year.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Jan. 9, 2017 2:31 p.m.

Good schedule; as I see it:
    Wins: Portland, USU, SJSU, Fresno, UNLV, U Mass, Hawaii
    Loses: LSU and Wisconsin
    Win/Loss: Utah, BSU, Miss St, ECU
    Best case: 11-2
    Worst Case: 7-6
    My Prediction: 9-4

• Jello is Good Seattle, WA
    Jan. 9, 2017 2:06 p.m.

LSU, Wisconsin, Utah, Boise St, and @Mississippi State. If BYU wins 2 of those I will be happy. If they win 3, they will finish 11-2 and be ranked, but that would be a reach and if they play over their heads. This schedule is much tougher than 2016 turned out to be. The game many are forgetting is at Miss St. That one really worries me.

• SC_24 Ephraim, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 2:02 p.m.

Playing 6 MWC teams. Why don't we rejoin the MWC already? Am I missing something? Keep the ESPN and BYUtv deals just add a meaningful October and November. I'll go to unlv and sjsu games if they are keeping us in a title competition and not just buying time for a subpar bowl. Which reminds me point number 2: why do we contract to play in a bowl like the poinsettia bowl? There's no chance that a bowl on that level would not give us an invitation. Seems like chances of filling in for a vegas bowl or holiday bowl (both which needed a fill in this year) is a better upside then byu fans knowing to schedule San Diego plans a month more in advance (and most being hesitant to do that too far in advance in case a team like Wyoming is selected)

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 1:18 p.m.

10-3 is where I have them next year.

Portland - Win
    LSU - Loss
    Utah - Win *I think, I think, they finally get one
    Wisonsin - Loss
    Utah State - Win
    Boise State - Win
    Mississippi State - Win, I think they get it done. I think this game is scary however after Boise. They could lose one or the other or both also.
    East Carolina - Win, but don't under estimate
    San Jose State - Win
    Fresno State - Win
    UNLV - Win
    UMass - Win
    Hawaii - Lose, yep, I think they lose on the Island. In fact, I don't think they lose, they get beat by a good up and coming Hawaii team.

10-3

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    Jan. 9, 2017 1:18 p.m.

TJ: "I like the balance of this schedule with one exception. The last half of the schedule is weak."

So, you like the "balance" of the schedule except for the whole second half? I believe that's called imbalance.

• jmac77 West Valley City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 1:06 p.m.

Ah yes, time for the all the overly optimistic predictions to come forth. January is the perfect time for that. I realize it's all for fun, but it's pretty difficult to forecast something that won't happen for 8–10 months (hence the title "Way-too-early"). Who knows what injuries will occur and how other teams will be much better or worse than we currently think. Still, I'd be cautious to expect a 10- to 12-win season.

Of course, the final six games of the year (and the first) are cupcake city. I give BYU almost no shot against LSU, and I wouldn't expect them to beat Wisconsin or Utah at home or Mississippi State on the road. Home against Boise St. is probably a toss-up. I'd put BYU at 9-4 in the regular season, with the realization that maybe one of those victories will be over a team with a winning record.

• Xoltar Salt Lake, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 1:04 p.m.

...and looking ahead to 2018 we have five P5 teams + Boise St so far. But boy, that middle-of-the-pack Pac12 Washington game sure has taken a step up in difficulty! If Coach Peterson can keep the Huskies on their upward trajectory (and I think he can), that is going to be a much tougher game than it looked when we scheduled it.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Jan. 9, 2017 1:00 p.m.

Hats off, ek, guess I really don't know you : ) Well played!

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 12:59 p.m.

Wow! Six Mountain West teams? So just re-join, already!

• Xoltar Salt Lake, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 12:57 p.m.

When this schedule was first put together it was a decent schedule. The P5 + Boise St. teams are still right about where you would have expected them to be several years ago. However, the non-P5 teams, most of which were pretty decent teams when the schedule was made, have really tanked. Unless some of them turn around next season, the SOS is not going to be good in 2017. LSU, Wisconsin, Utah, and Boise St. teams will make for great games. Through no fault of BYU's the rest will be middling to awful.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Jan. 9, 2017 12:52 p.m.

SoonerUte - Salt Lake City, UT-- My friend, I don't know how many losses get attributed to an OC or DC. He was the DC at Oregon State in 2015, and it was a home game for your Utes. A little reach, there .... but under the circumstances, to be expected.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Jan. 9, 2017 12:52 p.m.

I see Sitake winning at least 9 games again next year. Most likely losses to LSU and Wisconsin.

Against Utah I see a win. Sitake wants it and his players want it even worse. A one-point loss, by getting stopped on a two-point conversion, to a ranked team who is also your biggest rival? That stung.....bad......and still does. Which is why I see that getting reversed next season. With his fire and intensity Coach S knows how to motivate his players.

Go Cougars!

• red.diehard Central, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 12:36 p.m.

Curious schedule. Top 25% and bottom 25% nothing in the middle 50%. Looks like the bowl streak will survive the bottom 25%.

Blue fans, what are your way too early W-L for next year?

• JonesyCoug Houston, TX
    Jan. 9, 2017 12:32 p.m.

FT… you are hilarious. Are you suggesting that BYU fans should forgo watching the weak second half of our schedule in order to watch the mighty Utes play during that time? That will happen when h*ll freezes over… oh wait, it does that every winter at the school up in SLC.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 12:11 p.m.

TJ,
    The article is factual and objective...so I can respond in kind. I'll be back to my same old self when the hype begins...and you can be sure that it won't be too long...

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 12:00 p.m.

So. Cal Reader "I don't see Sitake losing to Utah two years-in-row"
    You mean 3 in a row. He lost to Utah as an Oregon State coach, then lost the next year as a BYU coach.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 11:41 a.m.

Another "Look over here" at the 2017 (8 months away) schedule diverting ones attention away from the recruiting class (signing day 23 days away) or the NFL draft.

Seven home games - four of which had a 2016 record of one game over .250 winning percentage. At least it does include rival UMass.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Jan. 9, 2017 11:37 a.m.

I predict improvement next season. The only skill player we lose on offense who will be difficult to replace will be Jamaal; however, the passing game should be much stronger. I have us at 10-2, with losses against LSU and Wisconsin. I don't see Sitake losing to Utah two years-in-row, particularly at home.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 11:36 a.m.

I see it isn't too early for the BYU obsessed haters to peddle their wares on this article.
    EK,
    Are you not feeling well?

I like the balance of this schedule with one exception. The last half of the schedule is weak. Hope the MWC teams get better next season.
    My way too early prediction is 10-11 regular season wins

• Jello is Good Seattle, WA
    Jan. 9, 2017 11:33 a.m.

Outside of Portland State, next 6 games of 2017 schedule will be much more difficult than the first 6 of 2016. I'm hoping for a 9 win regular season. 10 would be great. 11 to 13 would be unrealistic.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 11:12 a.m.

Sounds like another special season next year.

Go Cougs.

• golf tooele, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 10:28 a.m.

I'm glad they have found a new conference the Mountain West will be a good fit.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 10:27 a.m.

Great home schedule in September, after that fans should head North to see some more big time college football.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 10:05 a.m.

BYU will be better prepared and will do well in 2017! Sitake will make sure a U win is on the books.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Jan. 9, 2017 10:01 a.m.

There's no downplaying this schedule. Props to Holmoe. Plenty of big games and well balanced home and away. Motivation for an outstanding season. Even as a detractor I can't take away from the potential. Not easy for me to say but...Good Luck.