Utah

Elder Bruce D. Porter dies at age 64

Comments

• Avenging Angel North Salt Lake, UT
    Dec. 30, 2016 9:24 p.m.

I had Prof. Porter in my keystone international relations class at BYU. He was a wonderful teacher - very kind and very patient. He was always willing to explain things and answer questions. He encouraged you to do your best through his positive outlook - I never saw him speak critically to anyone, which is non-existent in this field. He had the best stories of his time living and working in Europe during the Cold War. He and his class made a huge impression and left a lasting impact on me.

Wonderful man.

• esodije ALBUQUERQUE, NM
    Dec. 30, 2016 6:25 p.m.

Elder Porter played high school basketball with my brother, and his father was our stake president for a number of years. He always had the aspect of someone who was going places, and 64 is far too young for him to go.

• Strong Man Eau Claire, WI
    Dec. 30, 2016 2:41 p.m.

Elder Porter was my Young Men's leader and Branch President in the Munich Germany Serviceman's Branch and I loved him dearly and know that he played a large part in the foundation and growth of my testimony. I think he was only about 28 or so yrs. old at the time. I remember sitting in Priest Quorum meeting with him as our instructor and wanting so desperately to answer well his provocative gospel questions and to learn the gospel as he seemed to know it. We will miss this great man. His mission certainly continues in the next life.

• TakeADeepBreath highland, UT
    Dec. 30, 2016 11:06 a.m.

I only briefly interacted with Elder Porter, but that day he taught me how to really pray. He has made a profound impact on my life. I am sad to hear of his passing.

• Kalola Antioch, CA
    Dec. 30, 2016 9:21 a.m.

Elder Bruce D. Porter holds a special place in our hearts. My husband will be deeply saddened to learn that his distant cousin has passed on. He will be missed by the entire Porter family.

• Marigold Provo, UT
    Dec. 30, 2016 8:16 a.m.

I love Elder Porter and his insightful General Conference talks and other talks. He is so smart, yet humble. His mission goes on... My best to his beloved wife and children.

• Shimlau SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Dec. 30, 2016 8:14 a.m.

condolences to his family and friends. May he continue his work!

• MAYHEM MIKE Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 30, 2016 8:12 a.m.

Years ago, I had the privilege of hearing Elder Porter in a Priesthood leadership meeting recount to those of us in attendance some of his very spiritual experiences. I remember his deep spirituality and love of the Lord and still have my notes from that meeting. I've shared them often with others and am so grateful that I was in attendance. May the Lord bless Elder Porter's family.

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    Dec. 30, 2016 2:51 a.m.

Elder Porter was a neighbor and a wonderful man. To his sweet wife and kids my thoughts and prayers are with you, a few giants left today, my mom told me of his passing and I'm sure my dad and your dad are having a wonderful reunion. You moved into the 4th ward not long before I left on my mission but I was so impressed with your dad, amazing man.

The world lost a few good ones today, my life is better from knowing Elder Porter, what a privilege it was to listen to him speak and learn from him, what a brilliant mind and strong testimony. He always made me want to be a better man!

What a blessing it is to have men on earth like Bruce Porter.

• Seeker of Understanding Logan, UT
    Dec. 29, 2016 4:50 p.m.

I had the privilege to work with Elder Porter in various capacities over the past 15 years or so. I always thoroughly enjoyed his presence. He had both knowledge and wisdom, I've known few people with that sort of raw intelligence, and at the same time, control over self and ideas. He will be missed.