Utah

Sought-after BYU alum tapped to cover Trump White House

Comments

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Dec. 28, 2016 2:42 p.m.

Nobody reads Time magazine anymore, nor Newsweek, nor US News and World report, the only thing that lasts is traditional family and thousands of year old traditions from the Bible about what is good and what is bad. Perhaps the heavens above have raised up Mr. Trump to attack CBS, NBC and ABC for ignoring miracles and hope and light and traditional family for the last 50 years. Alma 29:1 speaks of the "trump of God."

• rolsol San Antonio, TX
    Dec. 27, 2016 2:37 p.m.

He'll fit right in at the Atlantic. No one reads it, except liberals. I'm curious if they even have a subscription base.

He has some exaggerated connection to Trump that's what they're buying... They will be completely ignored otherwise.

Good for him, he got the attention, which is all they want anyway.

• Moracle Blackshear, GA
    Dec. 27, 2016 12:14 a.m.

I hope this doesn't mean Coppins is now going to spend the next 4 - 8 years of his life criticizing and creating doubt and lack of faith in our newly elected President.... Somehow, that doesn't seem like a very worthy endeavor for a BYU graduate... it just doesn't sound right, somehow....

• RRB SLC, UT
    Dec. 26, 2016 11:58 p.m.

He will fit right in. The Atlantic went from a mild conservative lean to a deep one during the Obama years, claiming that the country was leaning further left. We now know that Obama's years gave conservatives a huge increase in state houses, and state legislatures.

• New to Utah Provo, UT
    Dec. 26, 2016 6:28 p.m.

Having also been in journalism at BYU I'm happy for McKay Coppins. BYU journalism majors when I was there were nearly all liberals. We had a moderate editor who was from Las Vegas and the professor was also moderate. McKay Coppins appears to be a Massachusetts liberal and will fit in with the liberal Atlantic magazine.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Dec. 26, 2016 12:40 p.m.

@Impartial

Please make that the next 8 years.😁

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 26, 2016 11:49 a.m.

A most wonderful Christmas present came early this year on November 8th. My worst fears of Hillary winning were overcome with joy as Donald Trump won the electoral battle as our new President-elect!

Yes, Virginia, there is a God in Heaven. (not the exact quote, but I changed to fit the circumstances!)

• FelisConcolor Layton, UT
    Dec. 24, 2016 8:42 p.m.

So the guy who was spectacularly wrong about Donald Trump's campaign from start to finish is now the guy whom the Media want to cover him?

If that doesn't illustrate the complete cluelessness of the Main Stream Media about the Election of 2016 in a single article, then I don't know what would.

It's official: The Media have become so insulated, so inward-looking, so biased that they are officially beyond parody. You can't make stuff like this up.

Between this and the collective Leftist Meltdown, the next four -- nay eight -- years are going to be AWESOME.

Oh, and Merry Christmas to all.

• waikiki_dave Honolulu, HI
    Dec. 24, 2016 10:22 a.m.

Good article McKay. Please watch and report on Trump like a hawk and don't be intimidated by his bully pulpit or his fanatic supporters. Donald is alot like a snake in the grass.

• kranny utah, UT
    Dec. 24, 2016 9:15 a.m.

The journalism "bubble" is bursting, evidenced by Trump's election.

• 10CC Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 24, 2016 8:19 a.m.

It will be interesting to see if Trump's obsession with proving a specific journalist wrong persists. This appears to be the main draw in Coppins' promotion.

While I wish Coppins success in his career, my sense is Trump will soon be absorbed with far bigger issues, such as China's public pronouncement yesterday that they're preparing for a trade war with the United States.

Then again, Trump's a smart guy who doesn't need daily intelligence briefings, so maybe Coppins will provide the US with an ongoing, interactive prism into what's going on with the 45th president.

• Max Upstate, NY
    Dec. 24, 2016 7:41 a.m.

@ Utah Girl:

Except for the last line, you described Barack Obama to T.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Dec. 24, 2016 7:34 a.m.

Utah girl
    I've said it once and I'll say it again. Check out the bottom of your crystal ball. You will find out it reads "made in China". Simply a cheap imitation of the real thing if you get my meaning.

• nicholdraper West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 24, 2016 6:51 a.m.

What a sad story. This guy is selected for being wrong. This illustrates everything wrong with our country.

• BobbyPaluga Austin, TX
    Dec. 24, 2016 1:34 a.m.

With Mr Coppins extraordinary insight he's a natural to join the major news sources. I have a funny feeling that the "Daily Dread" or simply put the everyday flood of ultra-negative news articles informing all of us how horrible life in America will be come January 20th, Mr Trump may be exactly what America needs. When the bar has been set so low how can the guy not score some major sucesses, just by not declaring war against the rest of the world, the morning of the 21st?
    I'm ready for more substance and less style, after 8 years of a White House that cared nothing what the citizens think nor is willing to address their concerns.
    Until just now I never wondered if my ("garbage with no credibility") garbage had credibility or not. Exactly how do you tell? Mr Trumps rough edge are pretty rough, more thuggery than bitingly creative. This going to take some getting used to.

• CCRyder Blaine, WA
    Dec. 24, 2016 12:41 a.m.

Well, just another poor misguided soul who thought that hillary would win! I'm really pretty darned happy to see Trump win this election, because now we can begin cleaning up the terrible mess obammy has left behind. Yes, there are always those detractors, but heck, they already have been wrong by 'knowing' who was supposed to win, but didn't. And so, they will be wrong once again, and their depression deepens whilst our optimism only grows with each passing success, of PRESIDENT Trump. I suffered terribly under obammy for 8 long miserable years, but I weathered the terrible storm, and now the Sun shines brightly, and now, it is their turn to know how I felt for lo those 8 long years. However, I took it like a Man, and didn't complain, cry, whine, whimper or groan, I just went through my life every day and ignored that fake, awful man who only thought he was a 'President', and now, he is GONE, and we are blessed to have a real Man filling that powerful position, so now I can smile, and know that we finally have someone who not only will, but can, do the job................RIGHT!!!

• delasalle Sandy, UT
    Dec. 23, 2016 11:33 p.m.

I'm not sure why people are so hard on the media about the Trump coverage. He would not have won without the press coverage, good or bad. Coppins and others called out Trump and that's what gave Trump momentum. Then when he wins, we sit back and say how wrong they were. Doesn't really make sense.

• Silver Stingray St George, UT
    Dec. 23, 2016 11:02 p.m.

The entire thesis of this story is absurd. Make that very absurd. This guy was hired only because he's anti-Trump and that is what the media feeds on.

• Utah Girl Chronicles Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 23, 2016 10:06 p.m.

@christoph - Brigham City, UT
    "Can't people change? Why not cheer people on with their changing for the better."

Trump is not going to change. He's going to preen, posture, and swagger before the entire world. He will have no idea what he's doing. Trump lives for cheers and adulation. Once the cheering stops, we will have an angry madman on our hands. I see the US military staging a coup and forcibly removing Trump from this life.

• Anaximander South Ogden, UT
    Dec. 23, 2016 9:09 p.m.

I fail to understand why this guy "...is a man in high demand."

He, along with the rest of the media, were spectacularly wrong about this election and all of sudden he's the go-to-guy on the President Elect?

What am I missing here?

Also we know he doesn't like Trump and Trump doesn't like him. What could I possibly glean from his reporting on the President knowing this extreme bias?

• Harrison Bergeron Holladay , UT
    Dec. 23, 2016 8:36 p.m.

I have nothing against Coppins, but this whole story is illustrative of why the liberal media is so wrong so often - they elevate and promote those who are wrong. Even though you may be completely bonkers, if you say what liberals want to hear, your stock soars.

For most everyone else, being wrong is career limiting, definitively not sought after. But for liberals it seems to be a badge of honor. No wonder they were universally shocked on election night.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Dec. 23, 2016 8:04 p.m.

Coppins wrong months ago to speak of Mr. Trumps alleged, yes alleged bad behaviour, of which there is little proof to convict, and Mr. Coppins said some bad things that I won't describe, which this newspaper printed. How does Mr. Coppins know that someone hasn't repented? Why not assume someone has turned the corner for the better? Mr. Trump has better tone now then last spring. Same with Harry Reid who criticized Mr. Romney recently for changing positions on Trump from spring until now, why can't Mr. Reid see that maybe Mr. Trump is a better person today than 6 months ago. Can't people change? Why not cheer people on with their changing for the better.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Dec. 23, 2016 7:29 p.m.

If I was getting blamed for Trump's running, I'd be hiding for the next 4 years.

• prelax Murray, UT
    Dec. 23, 2016 7:12 p.m.

The press is still trying to figure out what happened. They refuse to admit that the people are tired of politicians and their broken promises.