Faith

The who, what, how and when of church hunting

Comments

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 28, 2016 11:20 a.m.

Churches that support tolerance and differences and encourage their members to be their best and do their best without pushing perfection are likely to be more successful. Trying to fit everyone into the same regimented box are those that are going to struggle. When the focus is on spirituality, encouraging service, and welcoming acceptance people can thrive.

California#1. Clergy don't have to say whatever anyone wants them to say. They can just give a message of truth, support, and spiritual encouragement, and be fine. If people are out killing or robbing from their neighbors then yes they may need to rebuke them for destroying what is good. But, they don't need to tell them step by step what to think, what to do, and where they can go or not go. Some churches are so prescriptive they have destroyed the concept of free agency. They forget God is the giver of free agency, not them.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Aug. 25, 2016 5:48 a.m.

"I can find a myriad of churches that will pat me on the head and tell me that I don't need to mend my ways or try harder or give up anything I really want to hold onto"

And you can also find some who will council you as to how to live every single aspect of your lift.

From what you eat, to what you drink, to what you wear, to what you watch, to what you read, to what you say, to what you do, to when you do it and the list goes on and on.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2016 7:13 p.m.

@patriot
    "I get the feeling the hunting is going to get alot worse in the coming years as Christianity is black-listed by our friends in the Democrat party. "

Hillary's a United Methodist and most Dems are Christian. Once you include other religious faiths (Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, etc) it's pushing 3/4s of the party that have some sort of religious belief.

• RJohnson Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2016 5:22 p.m.

@patriot

"...as Christianity is black-listed by our friends in the Democrat party."

That's ludicrous. A July Gallup poll found 28% of Americans self-identified as Republican; 28% as Democrat; and, 43% as independent. When the independents were asked which way they "leaned" politically, it was evenly split (43% Republican, 43% Democrat). 70% of Americans self-identify as "Christian." It doesn't take much math to figure out, then, that the majority faith among either Republican or Democrat is going to be "Christian." I'd bet money, that most atheists self identify as independent (you can count me among them). One of my closest acquaintances is rabidly anti-church/anti-religion and hard-core Reagan Republican.

"along with getting rid of the 2nd Amendment."

Please, please, please, please study up on how constitutional amendments are added or repealed before posting this again. That anyone believes a Clinton win in November will suddenly result in two-thirds of the Congress and 38 state legislatures supporting repeal of the 2nd amendment is mind-boggling to me.

• Akhenaten eagle mountain, UT
    Aug. 24, 2016 2:11 p.m.

The only reason to switch churches is because you find one that offers more truth than your current church. I realized my church had a lot of scandals and unfounded claims with no proof. So I looked at all the options and realized they all pretty much the same basis for their claims. Except my new church, which actually uses facts and logic that can be proven. Natas Liah.

• Shelama SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 24, 2016 1:55 p.m.

The most important and life-changing church hunting for me led to the Synagogue.

I was totally stunned at how quickly and easily and completely Christianity and 35 years of BIC Mormonism fell away like scales from my eyes.

The Bible — both OT and NT — was forever changed into something I had never imagined and into an endless fascination and enjoyment.

• crimendelsiglo where there ain't no freaking snow, UT
    Aug. 24, 2016 10:26 a.m.

are tele-evangelists considered churches ?

• Californian#1@94131 San Francisco, CA
    Aug. 24, 2016 3:15 a.m.

-- "Whatever your personal beliefs, you can find a church to support them." --

This is true. There are churches and clergy who will be happy to say whatever people want to hear and do whatever people want them to do so that no one is ever made to feel they need to change. I can find a myriad of churches that will pat me on the head and tell me that I don't need to mend my ways or try harder or give up anything I really want to hold onto, because God loves me anyway. Heaven forbid that a church or clergy should ever make me feel that I can and should try to be a better person; that could damage my fragile self-esteem!

• Diligent Dave Logan, UT
    Aug. 24, 2016 12:22 a.m.

Kinduv interesting, imo, the Kirtland Temple was the first building of worship built by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (known as the "Mormon Church", for its belief in The Book of Mormon). ['Kirtland' is in a suburb now of Cleveland]. When I wondered, and then broke down what that name means, it means (in Scottish) "Churchland"]. 'Kirt' and/or 'Kirk' both mean 'church' in Scottish. Hence, 'Kirtland' means simply 'Churchland'.

And how true to life that that name (given before Mormons came there, I believe) describes the United States of America.

• Ophelia Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 23, 2016 6:19 p.m.

My search for a new faith started about a year ago...right around the time the new gay policy for LGBT Mormons was introduced. I had hoped the leadership would soften their hearts concerning my beloved LGBT family and friends, but their stance has become increasingly severe.

I realize many don't see the policy as severe and hurtful. They find comfort, are spiritually fed, and feel a community of fellowship, but there are some -- like me -- who had to go hunting.

I have found a new spiritual home in the Episcopal Church.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Aug. 23, 2016 6:08 p.m.

The product is as varied as the tens of thousands of franchisees. Whatever your personal beliefs, you can find a church to support them.

• Tyler D Prescott, AZ
    Aug. 23, 2016 4:18 p.m.

@patriot – “I suspect this is on Hillary's "to-do" list along with getting rid of the 2nd Amendment.”

I wonder how many years of Democrat presidents will have to pass without any of these doom & gloom scenarios coming to pass before the people who believe them will wake up and realize they’ve been played like a fiddle (if you want to know by who, start by looking at the largest shareholders of Fox News).

Sort of like how Obama was going to confiscate all the guns and yet in his entire presidency has only signed two bills on this issue, both pro-gun.

Sadly, since many of these same folks believe the rapture is imminent (after 2000 years and counting) no amount of evidence to the contrary is likely to change minds.