Rabbi Sacks discusses why religion is too often used as the justification for violence against God's children

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 29, 2015 9:55 p.m.

I sometimes wonder what the world would be like if there were no religion other than teaching people to value themselves, those around them, and to treat people as they would like to be treated. That would solve a good majority of the worlds problems.

• Balanced view UK, 00
    Oct. 29, 2015 8:09 a.m.

Whereas Christianity genuinely preaches peace, and love, much of Islam does not. I know a lot of Muslims and there are 2 issues the first is that they are genuinely discriminated against and even reviled wherever they are. The second though is that a significant sub culture is teaching a death cult. This is a problem.

Rabbi Sacks is a wonderful man by the way. As an Englishman it is a source of quiet pride that our country is decorated by this man

• cthulhu_fhtagn Seattle, WA
    Oct. 28, 2015 2:39 p.m.

@Ranch

It's easier just to make assumptions. Americans need an enemy. Muslims are the faceless stormtroopers that we are far removed from.

• Ranch Here, UT
    Oct. 28, 2015 11:19 a.m.

@Grandpa who loves God and you;

How do you know Muslim youth aren't being taught love and peace in the majority of their Mosques? Have you been there? Or is it simply that you've seen a few of those others on the news and you're letting your own biases against Muslims rule your opinions?

Do you take a religious group like the Westboro Baptists and extrapolate to the entire Christian community based on that group? If not, why would you do it with Muslims?

• Publius nota bene Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 27, 2015 9:58 p.m.

"And when dualistic, us-versus-them thinking becomes widespread and pathological, it “makes you dehumanize and demonize your enemies. It leads you to see yourself as a victim. And it allows you to commit altruistic evil.”

Wow! That's an appropriate description of so many organizations that eulogize righteousness and practice intolerance of others.

• RFLASH Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 27, 2015 10:30 a.m.

People make it too hard. I grew up Mormon. I remember being taught in Sunday School that we all came from the same place. We all came from God. When we were taught about love, I remember, as a child, thinking " good, I can love anybody that I want" and I always have loved anybody I chose, including everyone that is different. It stuck in my my mind that they came from God just like I did! As a missionary, I loved those who chose not to get baptized as much as I did those who were baptized. They were the same child of God that they always were! Of course, my father taught me about what happened to the Jews. We would watch documentaries and I remember the exact moment that my brain allowed me to realize that it was real. I remember an image of a woman who was naked and huddled in a corner and I knew that they were going to kill her. I was thinking " No, don't let them kill you ". As a gay man, I can tell you that some people are not loved like the rest! Religion means nothing without love!

• Grandpa who loves God and you North Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 25, 2015 5:34 p.m.

The dichotomy lies within the teachings of Islam from the Quran. Many peace-loving people within the Islamic religion don't subscribe to the extreme teachings of the Quran and do not condone the actions of the Islamic terrorists. But what is being done by the peaceful leadership and members of the Islamic faith to turn things around? Why are Muslim youth not being taught to love peace instead of war? Why are they being taught that if they kill an infidel or non-believer that they will be rewarded in heaven with marriage to a large number of beautiful virgins, but there is no Quran scripture to back that up? Will the leaders of the Islamic religion have the courage to stand up for peace? And if not, why not?

• Tumbleweed Centerville, UT
    Oct. 25, 2015 1:56 p.m.

All nice in principle. However, there will always be a Hitler or two out there wanting to take advantage of a people so committed to peace that they are willing to forfeit their freedom. Preparation for defense of self and nation is not an act of violence. It ensures peace. Has anyone been watching with horror the films compiled about the carnage during WWII? Thank God the US had made preparations for the threat of war and our people didn't suffer like those in the Eastern Hemisphere. Always be prepared for war, but hope and pray for peace, but not at the expense of our freedom.

• boyd Ricks sandy/salt lake, UT
    Oct. 25, 2015 12:26 p.m.

Kipling continues: .....Or being lied about, don't deal in lies, or being hated, don't give way to hating, and yet don't look too good, not talk too wise."

• boyd Ricks sandy/salt lake, UT
    Oct. 25, 2015 12:27 p.m.

Jesus has an answer: "why beholdest the mote in thy brother's eye but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye." So does Rudyard Kipling: "If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you, but make allowance for their doubting too."