Women leaders in Utah forging their own paths to success

• riskyreed Salem, Utah, UT
    Oct. 15, 2015 5:43 p.m.

I have never questioned the ability of women. If everyone feels that way maybe we can do away with affirmative action now. what do you think?

• SRGriff Salem, UT
    Oct. 14, 2015 6:52 p.m.

@ GZE
    You're correct, Someday a woman will be a Navy SEAL because the political pressure to lower the standards or allow limitless resets until a woman eventually qualifies will overrule common sense. After all it's about equaling the available opportunities for women so they're not repressed, not about military supremacy and patriotism. While we're at it, to keep from being "immoral", let's encourage our little girls to be pro football players. That's a sexist barrier that hasn't been broken yet but certainly should be because we all know woman are as strong as men and can compete equally on the same playing field. We should never fill a little girl's head about her pretended physiological limits (even though they're very real) because that would be immoral. Six-year-olds will eventually drive automobiles too. I think I'll start encouraging my four-year-old daughter in that direction as well. That probability is a little higher than the Navy Seal thing.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 13, 2015 9:16 p.m.

Red Corvette

What I would like to ask Kate Kelly is if she wanted both the priesthood and the Book of Mormon, why didn't she join the Community of Christ: problem solved. Perhaps she merely wanted martyrdom. In which case, why should I be sympathetic to passive/aggression?

So what is it you want by being intolerant of choices you don't like?

• Neanderthal Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 12, 2015 2:52 p.m.

@SRGriff:
    "Please let's get this idea out of our heads that women can do anything."

Women can do almost anything that men can do... but, in the physical realm way less efficiently.

"As an example, The Navy Seals just concluded an exhaustive study about women in specialty combat roles and guess what, they concluded that women (even the elite) are incapable of the rigorous requirements demanded of them in such roles."

There are some women who are strong enough to do those tasks (Wonder Woman comes to mind)... and some men who are too weak to do them.

"Now, before you call me a neanderthal, some of these same jobs and roles preclude some men as well."

Correct.

• Miss Piggie Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 12, 2015 2:31 p.m.

@Instereo:
    "They can't hold the LDS Priesthood which shuts them out of any meaningful leadership in the LDS church whether it's a local position like a Bishop or a worldwide position like being an apostle."

Tell us... how many female apostles did Christ have in His Church when he dwelt on the earth? He set the example for the Church leadership configuration. Furthermore, females have their work cut out for them... at home raising families. Right now, the reproduction rate is less than replacement because women are out in the workforce trying to make something of their lives besides what Mather Nature has called them to do. At this rate the human family might soon disappear.

"My personal belief is that not only are woman great business leaders as per the article, they would also make great spiritual or ecclesiastical leaders."

And what would men do if women took over Church leadership positions? Sit home watching TV?

• GZE SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 12, 2015 2:00 p.m.

You're comparing giving birth to hitting a baseball? Really?

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Oct. 12, 2015 1:25 p.m.

Some day a woman will be able to drive a ball 400 yards, or hit a 90mph baseball. Guess what, that's not how we were created. Just like a man will NEVER be able to give birth, no matter how many gender operations they have. Doesn't work that way. But keep trying if you've got nothing better to do. I'll just hang out at Curves with my girls so we can keep the men out.

• Wastintime Los Angeles, CA
    Oct. 12, 2015 1:19 p.m.

I think that the leaders have proven to be fallible (and have finally admitted it), such that unless a practice such as women blessing babies (which used to practiced but no longer is allowable) is specifically disallowed in the D&C, then it should be allowed.

• GZE SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 12, 2015 12:29 p.m.

SRGriff, Someday a woman will be a Navy SEAL. You are right; INDIVIDUALS are different and all have limitations. But it is immoral to tell that one little girl that she can't try to be a Navy SEAL. She can try and succeed or fail - but not because she is female.

• mjkkjk Nowhere, 00
    Oct. 12, 2015 11:35 a.m.

Re: Wastintime

Totally, I mean, what has my mother ever done for me that might be considered a blessing, right?

In all seriousness, women are held back in Utah, but it has absolutely nothing to do with not holding the priesthood. It has more to do with the Utah culture that women should always stay at home.

The Proclomation on the Family reads that "men and women are obligated to help each other as equal partners in both roles." Yet somehow, many believe that it's wrong for women to work outside the home? I wonder if some men are intimidated by having a wife who has a successful career? My wife thinks many women just don't want the pressure and would rather chill at home even after all kids are in school. Regardless, I'm not saying that all women should have careers all of the time. But the Utah culture of rigidly divided roles (and the subsequent largest gender gap in the country) has significant negative consequences.

• SRGriff Salem, UT
    Oct. 12, 2015 11:35 a.m.

Please let's get this idea out of our heads that women can do anything. There are several jobs in society that women just plain can't do because of their physical limitations. As an example, The Navy Seals just concluded an exhaustive study about women in specialty combat roles and guess what, they concluded that women (even the elite) are incapable of the rigorous requirements demanded of them in such roles. Wow! Now there's a revelation. With this in mind, why would we lie to little girls and tell them they can be Navy Seals?
    Now, before you call me a neanderthal, some of these same jobs and roles preclude some men as well. Not everyone can do anything. Why do we have to incessantly beat that drum and give girls and some boys the erroneous idea that they can do anything when they clearly can't and set them up for disappointment and failure. We all have limitations and can't do anything. Let's be realistic and rational and stay out of imagination land when it comes to spewing feel-good rhetoric about "anything is possible".

• jeanie orem, UT
    Oct. 12, 2015 11:17 a.m.

Christ chastised his apostles for arguing about who was more important and then taught, "He that is greatest among you shall be your servant."

I don't need to be a bishop or an apostle or a holder of the priesthood to fully serve the Lord or bless my family.

I actually breathe a sigh of relief that it is not even an option for me.

• 100%TruePAtriot cincinnati, OH
    Oct. 12, 2015 11:12 a.m.

White men are not inherently evil! It is racist to think otherwise. Evil knows no race or gender as anyone can be evil.

No, women cannot do anything. Women have their strengths and weaknesses just like men do.

There are many things women can do far better than me and vice versa.

Our creator clearly says what a woman's place is. Women are never ever supposed to exercise any authority over a man. When they do it causes problems. Stick to what your supposed to do and things run smoothly.

• Wastintime Los Angeles, CA
    Oct. 12, 2015 10:27 a.m.

Women can do anything... except bless their own babies.

• appdancer murfreesboro, rutherford co., TN
    Oct. 12, 2015 10:23 a.m.

It's reassuring to see other posters saying exactly what I thought when I read the story's headline! To leave women out of "meaningful leadership in the LDS church", is a very strange concept to accept in 2015. Yet, I also see, in the very traditional segments of my Baptist faith,something nearly the same happening. Of course the same is true among other faith groups as well. All of this makes me even more happy to be a part of a more moderate Baptist group where full membership/leadership opportunities for women are usual.

• Greg in Hawaii Pahoa, HI
    Oct. 12, 2015 10:16 a.m.

Great to see such a story of success and how one woman is serving as a role model to both men and women to show how women can and are breaking out of the traditional roles that the LDS still seems to sadly encourage - "woman must be subservient to men at all times yet be leaders in their families"

• Red Corvette St. George, UT
    Oct. 12, 2015 10:03 a.m.

Just ask Kate Kelly about forging her own path to success.

• Reflectere Utah, UT
    Oct. 12, 2015 9:25 a.m.

kranny - my thoughts exactly. Apparently society must constantly be reminded that other peoples are not inferior to the evil white males. The very act of assuming other peoples are inferior is what is making them inferior in the eyes of society!

• Instereo Eureka, UT
    Oct. 12, 2015 9:20 a.m.

Women leaders in Utah forging their own paths to success sounds good and the article supports that's headline but in my email the headline started with "Woman Can Do Anything." That is genuinely misleading here in Utah because they can't. They can't hold the LDS Priesthood which shuts them out of any meaningful leadership in the LDS church whether it's a local position like a Bishop or a worldwide position like being an apostle. My personal belief is that not only are woman great business leaders as per the article, they would also make great spiritual or ecclesiastical leaders.

• kranny utah, UT
    Oct. 12, 2015 7:07 a.m.

This isn't news...women have always been able to do anything. Unfortunately, too many have bought into the false media craze that women are somehow inferior with less fulfilling rolls in our society. The world is messed up in its way of thinking!