Entertainment

Brooke Romney: The blessings of being raised by a low-maintenance mother

• Gravedigger72 DRAPER, UT
    Aug. 12, 2015 1:47 p.m.

That was a wonderful article! I am LDS, and in my congregation, if one mom gets a Cadillac Escalade, there are several new ones in the parking lot the next week- same with boats, clothing, birthday parties, plastic surgery. Everyone trying to keep up or better the other. Also happened when I lived in the Midwest when I was a Baptist. Focusing on more important matters and teaching our children to do the same is paramount in my opinion. My hat is off to these outstanding mothers.

• just my thinking Preston, ID
    Aug. 12, 2015 1:32 p.m.

Great article, I could not help but think that this was written about my wife and my mother.I feel so blessed to have these women in my life. I personally feel that women like these truely are the most beautiful women out there.

• Marsha N. SANDY, UT
    June 15, 2015 9:49 a.m.

In behalf of "ordinary" and "real" women everywhere, Thank You! There is very little glamorous in rearing children, keeping a tidy house, washing clothes, planting gardens, keeping the peace, and getting kids to school on time. But glamour pales in comparison to the satisfaction in contributing to a great and free and peaceful society - and a well nurtured family is the key. Beauty is grounded in the heart and fulfilled in loving relationships.

• Tami M Houston, TX
    June 15, 2015 8:34 a.m.

Thank you for this wonderful article about normal, everyday women and moms who redefine and reclaim real beauty!

• kim s bothell, WA
    June 15, 2015 7:31 a.m.

These comments do bother me, in a world where we don't want to judge others isn't that just what you're doing?

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    June 13, 2015 6:15 p.m.

I don't care if women have no makeup at all, but let their skin breathe. I don't care if women do not stick on ridiculously long nails or cripple themselves with ludicrous shoes. I would much prefer it if more women would wear clothing that is modest, not too tight or otherwise revealing.

i DO care to see a smiling, optimistic, kindly face though. I do like to see women who brush their hair, and to see women who dress and look like women and not just more men. One of these days we'll have it more or less right.

• Todd_i Midway, UT
    June 13, 2015 4:15 p.m.

Ms. Romney,

How fun it is to read an article about your mom and see a photo of your parents with grandchildren. When you were way young your dad was our scoutmaster and later our bishop. At that time your father was so young we never called him by a title--just his first name. Your mom, who never seemed much older than us, was as happy and friendly as she is beautiful. In many ways she was one of those role models that taught us rowdy boys how to act and behave.

• kim s bothell, WA
    June 13, 2015 3:31 p.m.

Interesting article, although I don't see a problem with a mom who teaches her daughters how to take care of herself physically too.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    June 13, 2015 1:49 p.m.

This sort of simple lifestyle is fine provided it doesn't cover doing without the necessities, like health care. My Mom was such a woman. We lived simply, but could almost never afford to go to the doctor. She finally got some decent care for her chronic asthma when she turned 65 and got medicare (God bless it).

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    June 13, 2015 12:24 p.m.

Low maintenance people in general are a blessing.

• Dawn9541 Alpine, UT
    June 13, 2015 8:57 a.m.

I enjoyed the article, but what the author describes seems like a "down to earth" person, and I know many!! Maybe I travel in the wrong circles, but most women I know do not have time nor would spend the money on what is described here. And I don't consider this low maintenance, just real life!!

• Ironmomo Ogden, UT
    June 12, 2015 7:30 p.m.

I love the article and was so raised like that and have tried to be like my mom as well. Mom's are the best and trying to be like them will hopefully continue a legacy of children who become focused on what's most important in the world. On the flip side, many of this current younger generation are certainly miles ahead of us in many ways and I feel blessed to be their mom.

• Just want to know...... Smithfield, UT
    June 12, 2015 8:55 a.m.

What a great article! Women and gals are seriously way too absorbed with themselves. And don't forget hair extensions, tanning, tons of jewelry and accessories, nails, etc. etc. How do families afford new outfits and shoes, etc. for three or four in a household every couple of weeks -- and all the mall shopping? Guess there must be a lot more disposable income these days -- or deeper in debt. There is absolutely nothing wrong with looking nice and dressing up , but some -- it is their top priority in life.

Red Shirt, it was indeed the normal before the 1990's -- not being high maintenance. Also, look at the homes people HAVE to have now. Not what is necessary but the dream home. Some may laugh but the people were "real" back then and the media didn't make women feel they had to constantly be buying something to be someone. Brooke, your mom has much wisdom!

• wiseoldwoman West Jordan, UT
    June 12, 2015 8:26 a.m.

Precious article. Beautiful tribute to your mother, a real woman.
    That wasn't my mom and it probably isn't me . . . but I wish it was.
    I'm going to adjust my thinking and get real!

• J-TX Allen, TX
    June 12, 2015 8:19 a.m.

Hear, Hear!! Amen and AMEN!!

• Chive in Murray Murray, UT
    June 12, 2015 7:40 a.m.

Amen, Brooke. Thanks for the tribute and wake-up call. Reminds me of my mom, Winifred Elaine Clive Romney.

• TonyB Midvale, UT
    June 11, 2015 3:55 p.m.

Great article Brooke. I will have to disagree with a line in your last paragraph, though. I know your Mom and she is perfect!

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    June 11, 2015 11:53 a.m.

To "Brooke Romney" that is what was called "Normal" 30 years ago. The high maintenance moms didn't come around until the late 1990s.

You do point out a problem with society becoming more materialistic and self absorbed.

• Random Redlands, CA
    June 11, 2015 10:27 a.m.

I hope my daughter says the same about me when she's older.

• jeanie orem, UT
    June 11, 2015 9:47 a.m.

Great article! Your mom is who I aspire to be.