Mormon CEO, father of 5 says priorities matter more than balance

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    June 13, 2015 2:23 p.m.

Hank Pym is correct; we are talking semantics. Is balance multitasking, or is it equilibrium? Without the latter, we'd be stumbling all over the place.
    I know and use the urgency/importance matrix. But other factors enter in. For example, what one person considers to be very urgent and very important may be not urgent and not important for a spouse, a boss, a child. I believe it's correct usage of the term to say we must balance our priorities with those of others. Other factors may also influence how we "balance our priorities" (which I also believe is correct usage of the term.) Those may include time available, financial considerations, and as Hank mentioned, location. The list goes on.
    I fail to see any logic in setting up a conflicted definition between the two terms: priority and balance. To me, they're like the old refrain "Love and Marriage...can't have one without the other." Now there's a subject that definitely IS controversial!

• Aurelius maximus Berryville, VA
    June 12, 2015 9:08 a.m.

"Despite his many responsibilities, Moll says he doesn't believe in balance. Instead, he builds his busy schedule around priorities."

This just doesn't make sense to me. Doesn't believe in balance?

Yes, I understand priorities and prioritizing things but don't you still have to balance your priorities? You still need to balance things at times or you may end up too focused on one thing and something else becomes out of balance.

• Max Upstate, NY
    June 8, 2015 9:37 a.m.

Nothing personal ... but YAWN.

• FanOfTheSith Vernal, UT
    June 8, 2015 12:19 a.m.

Good for you for finding that niche to make it work for you and your family. A lot of people are not as fortunate as you but I'm sure they are trying their best to find balance within their priorities.

• mpschmitt Boston, MA
    June 5, 2015 6:37 a.m.

Jesus gave us the model in our lives for balance and priorities:
    "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." (Matthew 6:33, see verses 24-34)

In a culture saturated with self-aggrandizement, selfish ambition, "success" being defined with dollar signs and percentages, and a "progress at any cost" mentality, we must be very careful not to forget that we are spiritual beings having a temporal experience. The purpose of this life is to serve Christ and to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. There are eternal things at stake. Life is balanced when we remember this priority.

God gave us this time to develop and grow and to help others do so. "Behold the lilies of the field..." If we never take time to behold them because we're too busy "succeeding", we miss the point. Spending 4 hours with a widow is the right thing to do, even if it does nothing for home teaching percentages. Jesus' heart is tender for "the least of these". God desires us to delight in life, and to love one another as He has loved us.

• I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Provo, UT
    June 4, 2015 5:36 p.m.

Hank Pym,

Fine, you don't like the word "balance", I get it. lol

Here's a better way to put it:

Model 1:

G

Model 3

AB
    CD
    EF
    G

Is balance required for each? Yes. Of course. But the word "balance" here is referring to multi-tasking as opposed to prioritizing in a linear model. For me personally, it's easier to work on one thing at a time. I get more done that way. I work faster. I also miss some things sometimes, but life moves on. I'm comfortable saying "sorry, that wasn't as important as another task".

We can use words like iteration, linear, and sequential. But most people don't see it that way. Balancing vs Prioritizing makes sense to a larger audience.

I'll do 1 thing at a time and prioritize what I do first. I find that faster and easier to work in and maintain a healthy attitude. When I try to balance multiple things at the same time, I work slower and I'm more easily distracted and ultimately frustrated. Simpler is better.

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    June 4, 2015 9:49 a.m.

How about running a story of someone disadvantaged and the day-to-day struggles they face?

Or an article explaining the immigration system?

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    June 4, 2015 9:39 a.m.

For what it's worth, when I'm at a conference or at work, my family is still my top priority. And I agree with @HankPym, prioritizing importance with allocated time is the definition of balance.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    June 4, 2015 9:24 a.m.

to cjb & know it

Priorities/workload are not exclusively dealing with time but where you are i.e. Location. Did I just reiterate my initial theory? My theory confirms what the articles protagonist is saying in a roundabout way.

FWIW... The best examples I have of "project management" are my brothers dogs; Do 1 thing, give it 100%, & move on.

• cameronmoll Sarasota, FL
    June 4, 2015 9:11 a.m.

@JimmyBoy: Oh, we have plenty of struggles like any other family. For example, watch the video included in the article if you haven't. I mention a pretty sizable mistake (i.e. typo) that about did me in professionally. Another example: search "cameron moll type 1 diabetes" to read about our family's challenges of having a son with Type 1 diabetes.

• pat1 Taylorsville, UT
    June 4, 2015 8:00 a.m.

Good article and video about a bright, talented man and how he lives his life. I love his involvement with his sons. A follow-on article about his wife would really be interesting. She must be a remarkable woman who handles all of the day-to-day things in family life that seems to be centered around him. How does she do it? What happens in that household to nurture her? The boys are learning how to be successful at a very young age. But what are they learning about women and how to treat them? Just wondering....

• JimmyBoy Baltimore , MD
    June 4, 2015 6:05 a.m.

It's nice to see yet another LDS career success story but what about authentic messaging that our leaders tell us about? It would be nice to see the challenges that this family goes through and not just the good times (playing on their soccer field in their backyard, making apps together, smiling, laughing, etc.) What about the struggles that this family faces as well? After all life is not just a bed of roses.

• I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Provo, UT
    June 3, 2015 11:34 p.m.

Hank Pym,

For me there is a very clear mental difference.

Option 1 - Treat it like a weight scale with two plates. You can try to find equal time for different things. Or rather like a juggler trying to distribute load. The problem is that juggling life that way isn't very effective for most anyone really.

Option 2 - I have 10 tasks that need to be done this week. I'll set these 7 aside as they are less important. Perhaps urgent, but less important. I have 3 which I can't afford not to take care of. They may be less immediately demanding, but because they are more important I deal with those first. Once taken care of, I then grab 2 more from the pile and start working through them until they are done.

Yes, you could say that either are ultimately a form of balancing. But 'prioritizing' better describes my second example and 'balance' better describes the first. Do one thing at a time, and do what's most important first. It's not a multi-tasking game, it's a game of order, or rather doing things in a certain order.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    June 3, 2015 10:29 p.m.

re Hank Pym

It results in a balance, the path to that balance is different than if one focused on balance. This is yet one different approach that is worth at least knowing about.

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    June 3, 2015 6:42 p.m.

Moll is right. Setting priorities allows one to focus intensely, completely lacking balance, for the extended periods of time required to achieve great things. There are very few people who are reach excellence in their given field, and almost none of them lead "balanced" lives. This, of course, has costs, sometimes enormous costs, and is only worth the cost to a few. Thus mediocrity is common.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    June 3, 2015 4:50 p.m.

Call it semantics but... shifting priorities depending on location is balance.