LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of faith, prayer helped him find success

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    May 3, 2015 11:24 a.m.

"@ Marc C I agree"

Shelama - I actually don't think that you are agreeing with the premise of Marc C's comment.

He seems to be saying that only LDS artists are "influenced" by the Spirit, and that the works of artists of other faiths do not measure up.

Isn't that the opposite of the point you are making?

• Don37 Nottingham, MD
    May 3, 2015 11:23 a.m.

We have a print by McNaughton, It hangs in our dining room across from a print of the mural in the DC Temple. Everyone who sees it stops to admire the detail of this work.
    Some great artists work for the masses, others for the wealthy few. Not being one of the latter, I settle for prints.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    May 2, 2015 12:28 p.m.

A very interesting story. Thanks.

• caf Bountiful, UT
    May 2, 2015 10:39 a.m.

The first time I saw a Richards piece, Christ washing the disciples feet, I felt deeply connected. One day, I hope to have one of his pieces above my mantel. I am very pleased that he is doing well!

• Shelama SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 1, 2015 11:20 a.m.

@ Marc C

I agree. For more God-inspired and Spirit-influenced artists, I personally have to also include the Catholics --- Leonardo, Michelangelo, Raphael, Caravaggio, etc, etc, etc.

Rembrandt seems to have been more Reformed Dutch than Catholic but I can see enormous and direct influence of the Spirit, there, too.

Also Gainsborough's Joshua Reynolds, both Anglicans.

Vermeer, Albrecht Durer, Bruegel, and van Dyck also seemed to have God's favor.

And Gericault, Vermeer, Albrecht Durer, Bruegel, van Dyck, Hans Holbein The Younger, John Singer Sargent, van Eyck and Velazquez.

I think also there's a lot of the Spirit in van Gogh and in Picasso, too.

Like you, I'm just glad that God likes good art and takes the time to inspire good artists.

• Mark C Gilbert, SC
    May 1, 2015 9:28 a.m.

"Why are there so few LDS artists and writers?" You would do better asking "Why are there so few ANYTHING writers and artists". Good and great artists are few and far between. I dare say the numbers in the LDS faith community would closely reflect the general population. Gifted people who rise to fame and notoriety in any profession are few and far between which makes their work even more valuable and enjoyable.

There will be more great and notable artists come from the ranks of LDS members in the future as they embrace the principles of the gospel and apply them to their work. It's happening more now than ever before in my opinion. I recently had opportunity of comparing portraits by LDS Artists of early LDS Church leaders in Kirtland, with those painted by members of another faith (pictures of Emma and Joseph Smith for instance). The contrast was striking and helped me see how the Spirit influences our artists to capture warmth and spirit in their portraits versus the dower and "flat" look of the other portraits I was comparing.

• taxingthepoor SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 1, 2015 4:36 a.m.

Why are there so few LDS artists and writers ?

• Shelama SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 30, 2015 10:45 p.m.

Wow! Great stuff. Really, really nice. This is real talent and real art.

And, thank God, not another McNaughton.

• mulrich Columbia, SC
    April 30, 2015 10:10 a.m.

One of my favorite artists.

When my wife and I married we were encouraged to have a picture of Christ in our home. It took us five years to agree on a picture. That painting, "Every Knee Shall Bow" by Richards was the first of many paintings we own by Richards. We've also purchased two of his books and hope to buy more of his artwork in the future. I love his style and hope to some day buy an original piece.

If by chance Richards reads these comments and takes requests… I would love to own a painting focused on Joseph and the Christ child. There is a lot of nativity art focused on Mary but virtually none focused on Joseph.