Mormon family's viral YouTube videos play role in British woman's conversion to LDS Church

• WALTC USA, WY
    Oct. 9, 2015 1:15 p.m.

What a wonderful story. Having been recently (June 2014) become active after a 40 year absence, I can relate a little bit. It's been my impression that whether we are raised in the church or baptized later in life, at some point we all have to be converted to the gospel. Learning to recognize the spirit talking to me and acting on those promptings has been the most difficult part. Now that I've found the Shaytards vlog, I'll be tuning in every day, and I'm going to suggest that my inactive children and grand children tune in. As far as evolution and science goes, when I was in Sunday school (in the 1960's) a teacher told me that someday science and religion will agree. And it seems every week I read another story about Scientists in the middle east finding more proof of specific bible events.

God bless you Lois & Lewis and your little family. I hope you've stayed in contact with those missionaries. I've found that they make great lifetime friends after they return home and continue on with life.

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    Jan. 20, 2015 6:39 p.m.

I hope that her husband eventually came to realize that it was perfectly possible—and perhaps even expected—that he could continue to believe in science and evolution and be a faithful, active, practicing and believing member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints—far more so than in most other Christian churches. Many of the Church's most prominent leaders are and have been men well-educated and established in the sciences, and this background compliments and strengthens their testimonies of the Gospel rather than posing a faith crisis. The Adversary has conditioned people in the modern world to believe that religion and science are and must always be at odds with one another, and that to fully accept one one must reject the other—but that is simply not the case. Truth is truth no matter what it's source, and our religion circumscribes all things that are true, whether they are spiritual, historical or scientific.

• jbarter Ottawa, 00
    Jan. 14, 2015 3:41 p.m.

As a fan of ShayCarl and his videos for years, I love his contagious happiness and ongoing mantra of "Make today a great day". However, as a non-mormon I feel like the article really downplays the influences Lois' choices and family have on her overall mental well being. She gained personal confidence, met and married a man she loves, and had two beautiful children. All of these choices changed her entire life, and all of these choices were pre-LDS. I'm happy that being part of a community adds to that happiness for her, but give the woman some credit! Is the underlying message here that without LDS "working through her and guiding her" she lives an unhappy life without any of those things? She couldn't have possible been as happy as a confident successful woman with JUST a loving husband and an awesome family? If anything I applaud the truth in the headline of this article. ShayCarl and the LDS church both played a "Role" in this woman's happiness, I just feel like the rest of the article skewed that role a little too far away from her own personal development and hard work.

• Dan Maloy Enid, OK
    Jan. 9, 2015 11:20 p.m.

Now THAT is an awesome story! Keep the faith Shaytards, Lois, Lewis and kids!, keep the faith!

• Kjirstin Youngberg Mapleton, UT
    Jan. 9, 2015 3:51 p.m.

My favorite part: "The missionaries were walking the other way. ... They said to each other, 'They are a family. We should go talk to them.' "

One thing I've learned throughout my life; there absolutely are NO coincidences. None. This family was ready that very moment, and the missionaries were put there for them.

I'm an active member of many feminist groups. Some church members feel these groups are contrary to the gospel, but I know they are in harmony, just as science and the gospel cannot exist without each other. Darwin was right in many areas; he just didn't get the no-crossing-species thing. There is so much we do not understand. God HAS a plan. He works it every day. Members are slowly recognizing many feminists are pro-life, and the Church needs intelligent women. If we can all just tie a knot and hold on, we can sit back and watch as God's plan unfolds for the world.

This family is a great example of how technology builds the kingdom of God on earth. It is why I've gone back to filmmaking. Vision is a powerful example. God Bless the Shaytards!

• Number6 DELTA JUNCTION, AK
    Jan. 9, 2015 2:15 p.m.

In a church fond of alliteration, I made this one up for myself and it has always served me well:

Religion is, "This is what God did." (A Constant.)
    Science is, "This is how we think He did it." (A Variable.)

• Hagoth Hayden, ID
    Jan. 9, 2015 11:19 a.m.

Congratulations! Wonderful story! I am a convert to the church... been a member for 38 years now... wow how time flies! The gospel simply gets more wonderful as time passes! My daughter is soon to leave on a mission. I see the gospel in my kids lives and it gives me such peace and joy. Your daughters will be truly blessed by your example and from the teachings of Christ.

• maclouie Falconer, NY
    Jan. 8, 2015 1:07 p.m.

Martin Handcart Descendant & Wilf55

If the statement that he was angry bothers you I think it is because maybe Lewis' thinking was trending towards atheism rather than intelligent design (which can encompass a belief in God and Evolution).

After one has embraced one belief, ie atheism, and then discover they were wrong, can develop a little anger.

You, on the other hand, sounds like your belief in God was not challenged by the acceptance/belief of Evolution, thus, no anger is experienced because your paradigm did not really change.

I have gone from Catholic, to atheist/evolutionist, to agnostic, to LDS, to completely discarding Evolution. However, I dont confuse Natural Selection with Evolution as many have.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Jan. 7, 2015 12:25 p.m.

re:Hutterite

"any less significance in the influences that cause people to modify their faith, or abandon religion entirely"

Not sure what you mean by significance? Certainly anything in life that causes a big change is significant. A man or woman that starts drinking alcohol or taking drugs soon finds that their life has changed in a very significant way ....not a positive way however. The woman in this story admitted that she felt lost in her life and her new found faith changed that isolation by introducing her to a spiritual peace that she never knew existed. I have known people who chose atheism but I never once saw them as what I would consider "happy people" but rather bitter and combative instead. Finding Jesus Christ in your life isn't something that can be copied or cloned - it must be a personal journey where you let go of the world and its precepts and open your heart and mind to new thinking as well as new behavior. Over time something called faith begins to take root and you recognize the fruits of that new found faith. Faith requires courage and work to acquire.

• MoreMan San Diego, CA
    Jan. 7, 2015 10:18 a.m.

I am a huge fan of Aspyn Ovard... she is a model Mormon. She is a You Tube sensation with over 1 million viewers.

• Martin Handcart Descendant Azusa, CA
    Jan. 7, 2015 9:35 a.m.

Love this article! Thank you. I agree with Wilf 55. I have loved science and technology since I can remember. I graduated with a BS in science. Science teaches us to observe, search, experiment, discover, and to learn the truth. For me, that is true with every aspect of this beautiful life. It's certainly true in marriage and raising children. The Gospel of Jesus Christ just gives us more tools (such as prayer, faith, humility, etc.) to use in our discovering the world and universe. My mind has never had a conflict between the two - science and religion. Part of both is recognizing that we (and others) don't yet have all the answers. Life would be so boring if we already knew everything and there was nothing more to discover and learn. Mortality is a great and exciting ride. Congratulations to Lois and her family.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Jan. 7, 2015 9:32 a.m.

With all due respect, but is there any less significance in the influences that cause people to modify their faith, or abandon religion entirely?

• ER in AF Harare, Zimbabwe, 00
    Jan. 7, 2015 6:48 a.m.

Lois & Lewis,

Welcome!!! I hope you find joy in your actions. As you grow closer to the Lord you will find greater happiness. But the secret (not really) is that the true joy is when you understand you will know the best most-true (can you say that?) joy is when you serve others and share your joy with them. God Bless You and stay focused.

Your Brother,

Eric

• Mr. Investigator South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 7, 2015 5:42 a.m.

Family is us! God bless!

• Wilf 55 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 7, 2015 3:23 a.m.

Great story, but I found this paragraph strange:
    "The first couple of weeks, he was angry with himself, as all his life he had believed in science and evolution," Lois said. "He could feel his views changing."

I'm a Mormon and I accept science and evolution. I worry when people think there are contradictions and a choice must be made. That attitude may lead to fundamentalism and conflicts. Official church statements make it clear the Gospel explains why" man is on earth, but not "how". Any discussion on creation versus evolution is pretty futile. The church promotes scientific research and does not reject its step-by-step discoveries.

• MormonSean Provo, UT
    Jan. 6, 2015 10:06 p.m.

While I'm in a posting mood here's a 3rd one...

A man creates a ball of seemingly infinite complexity. Let's say it's a computer. He dies and 1000 years later people try to study the ball. Some make guesses about it's meaning and purpose. Some make guesses about it's design and how it works. Ultimately, different opinions form and all based on what limited observations can be made. Some speculate that the ball grew on it's own over time. Some speculate that it was invented. Some say that it was both invented, but grown.

Ultimately, there isn't a single human being who is qualified to really talk about the origin of humanity from a purely "observed" standpoint. Our ability to understand the physical world is limited. I actually enjoy that fact. We have been given a planet to care for, be good stewards, animals to care for, etc. We've been given a mortal life. We love education, both physical and spiritual.

I'm not saying I have the perfect or right answers here. I'm just sharing how I view things based on the science/religion reference in the article.

• MormonSean Provo, UT
    Jan. 6, 2015 9:58 p.m.

Dear Lewis,

I sometimes see people try to reconcile science and faith. To that, I offer this:

You stand in a completely dark room, and light immediately surrounds you. The light represents your knowledge. As the light grows, you see the edge of a table. Now, you know the room is bigger than you previously understood. This is how I understand faith, science, and belief.

We observe the world around us. We learn from it. We're meant to. We exercise faith when we first hope to learn then act on that hope. When I see that making some choices has made my life better, I see the edge of the table and shape my beliefs. We don't have a full knowledge. But we are meant to learn line upon line until we do. I just have to constantly remind myself that I don't have all the answers and then to kneel down to ask the one who does. God has a physical body. He created the Earth. He created our bodies, our genes, etc. He knows more about physics than any of us. So I trust Him first.

• MormonSean Provo, UT
    Jan. 6, 2015 9:37 p.m.

Mrs. Herbert has faced something everyone has to face at some point. What kind of person do you want to be? Who are you? Who can you become?

Everything about the gospel, even things we find challenging sometimes (if not especially those) is calculated to help us. Everything is for our benefit. The more we learn to apply ourselves to it and feed the seed of faith in our lives, the more we will see our lives grow for the better.

This is a great story. I'm happy I found it today.

• islandboy Honolulu, HI
    Jan. 6, 2015 5:13 p.m.

Welcome Lois and Lewis! Glad to have you with us.

• gee-en Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 6, 2015 4:38 p.m.

Wow! Way to represent, shaytards.
    And way to be sensitive to the Spirit, Herberts, as He was testifying of the truth to you all these years.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT